Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top
That's coming along nicely  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
amazing rebuild, love all the attention to detail - top work.

Back to the top
Wow dude, just read your whole thread! Amazing work! Massivly envious, who did your paint?
Looking to get a repair done on my rear quarter, after seeing your inner quarter I may need to do a bit more work than just patch up the outer quarter with the repair panel. May need to do a bit on the inside too. What do you reckon?

Fancy coming down to do a bit of touch up on mine lol! :D

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

That's coming along nicely  :thumbs:

Cheers mate!

watson said

amazing rebuild, love all the attention to detail - top work.

Thanks  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Alfie said

Wow dude, just read your whole thread! Amazing work! Massivly envious, who did your paint?
Looking to get a repair done on my rear quarter, after seeing your inner quarter I may need to do a bit more work than just patch up the outer quarter with the repair panel. May need to do a bit on the inside too.

Fancy coming down to do a bit of touch up on mine lol! :D

Nice try, I have enough on with mine  :lol:

Thanks for your comments :)

A guy called Steve did the paint, his company is A-List in Norwich, I can thoroughly recommend him they did a superb job and he is a good fella.

Your rear quarter looks very similar to how mine did, rotten with a fair bit of filler already in it. I think you will need to do the same as I did and get a replacement rear quarter and cut it out so you can use the complete repair panel. This will give you enough room to be able to repair the inside part.

I have been following your build thread and thought it had already gone in for paint?

Back to the top

Jimievo said

I have been following your build thread and thought it had already gone in for paint?

Cheers for the advice, the car went for paint and welding this time last year but came back worse than it went in, so I had to start over, not really got further than stripping it down. After seeing your floor i'm going to book mine in to get the underside blasted. It looks good, but I don;t fancy leaving it to chance that it's all sound undernearth

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

Alfie said

Jimievo said

Cheers for the advice, the car went for paint and welding this time last year but came back worse than it went in, so I had to start over, not really got further than stripping it down. After seeing your floor i'm going to book mine in to get the underside blasted. It looks good, but I don;t fancy leaving it to chance that it's all sound undernearth

Blasting is definitely the way forward, so glad I had mine done as  will uncover any hidden nasties. Make sure you scrape off all the rubbery under seal before hand, if not the blaster will have to use very course grit which could end up causing distortion and unnecessary damage  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Engine bay looks great Jimi :thumbs:  are you going to be partitioning that cone filter off? just thinking of heat coming off the engine, that's all.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Engine bay looks great Jimi :thumbs:  are you going to be partitioning that cone filter off? just thinking of heat coming off the engine, that's all.

Hi Andy, it had crossed my mind. I may partition it off, I've seen it done before with the g60 conversion due to the filter running back along the engine. I will see how it goes, there is plenty of open space underneath for fresh air to come up to it.  :)

Back to the top
True enough, never thought of the air coming up from underneath. Me and my mate have just took the cone filter off his ST170 as it was drawing hot air in, that's what made me think about yours.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

True enough, never thought of the air coming up from underneath. Me and my mate have just took the cone filter off his ST170 as it was drawing hot air in, that's what made me think about yours.

I know what you mean, I remember when I had a 205 1.9 gti and I borrowed a cone filter off a mate to try and it performed terribly as the location was close to the bulkhead and I didn't have any air hose to duct to it. The heat sink was awful. Needless to say I gave it straight back to him and put the standard air box back on.

Back to the top
Sounds the same set up as the ST, no air flow O_o  I'm sure yours will be good where it's at mate. :)

Back to the top
Hi Jim,

looking great as always :)

I have a few questions, what induction kit and alloy pipe are you using (Bartek)?

What battery are you using? Odyssey?

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top

RichG said

Hi Jim,

I have a few questions, what induction kit and alloy pipe are you using (Bartek)?

Cheers

Rich

Hi, Rich
For the intercooler piping I bought a variety of alloy and silicon pipe/hoses and adapted them to fit.
The air filter and pipe from filter to charger came with the car when I bought it so not sure on that.
Yes the battery is an odessey :)

Back to the top

Jimievo said

RichG said

Hi Jim,

Cheers

Rich

Hi, Rich
For the intercooler piping I bought a variety of alloy and silicon pipe/hoses and adapted them to fit.
The air filter and pipe from filter to charger came with the car when I bought it so not sure on that.
Yes the battery is an odessey :)

Which Odyssey? :) Cheers

Back to the top
Its a pc680.

Back to the top
Hi Jim,

How are you getting on?

What did you mount the 2 metal coolant pipes to ( the large one from the bottom water pump outlet and the smaller heater matrix metal pipe?) I notice on mine there are 2 metal tabs with captive nuts.

Cheers

Back to the top

RichG said

Hi Jim,

How are you getting on?

What did you mount the 2 metal coolant pipes to ( the large one from the bottom water pump outlet and the smaller heater matrix metal pipe?) I notice on mine there are 2 metal tabs with captive nuts.

Cheers

Hi Rich,
Slow progress at the moment due to electrical issues so engine is yet to fire up :( .
      With regards to the water pipes, I have a flexi pipe running from the bottom of the water pump to the rad. The metal pipe which runs close to the side of the head is secured by a metal tab coming off it that is secured with a nut which goes on to a bolt with a stud off the end which secures the plastic coolant pipe flange to the side of the head.

Back to the top
Update….. Still been busy on the golf even though it isn't the good news that she has fired into life. Electrical issues are the main problem at the moment with no sparks at the plugs  :(

New carpet installed

I made some new rear/boot cards by jigsawing some fibre board and gluing some material to it.

Front grill fitted, I made the air holes longer to match the intercooler and even further to the drivers side to allow plenty of air the air filter!

Next up I decided to pull the speedo apart and clock it, as virtually everything on the car is new anyway. Except maybe the speedo itself lol.

Door cards installed

And lastly rear part of cage and seats installed, this wasn't so straight forwards as with the cage in there wasn't room for the upper seat belt bracket to bolt to the B pillar, so I had to order some threaded bosses that I welded to the roll cage and the belts work rather nicely now. I didn't want to go down the harness route.

Thanks for looking  :)

Back to the top
Love the seats - very retro race car…

What are they from?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.