Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top
love your work mate, it takes me back to when i did my van it seems endless but what a feeling when its done,,
well done

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Intriguing! Will stay glued  :thumbs:

Is the bodyshop local to you?

Yes its local, about 5 miles away. The guy is very much into his vw's, campers etc! :thumbs:  

Back to the top

foxymk1 said

love your work mate, it takes me back to when i did my van it seems endless but what a feeling when its done,,
well done

Ive been wanting to do a restoration for years, must be some feeling when you finally get to drive it  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Jimievo said

Ive been wanting to do a restoration for years, must be some feeling when you finally get to drive it  :thumbs:

I'm itching to drive mine,  it's been 17 years since I last did so I know how you feel! 

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Small update!

I have been busy cleaning and restoring parts ready for the rebuild.

Here is the brake master cylinder and brake bar, both have been stripped apart and painted.

Handbrake lever stripped painted and assembled, steering rack adjusted and greased with new rubber boots, track rod ends, polybushes and replated clamps.

And lastly heater matrix and a few interior parts cleaned up. Thinners and wd40 were my friends here!

Thats all for now! Thanks :)

Back to the top
Great finish on the painted parts  :thumbs:

Did you use rattle cans?

Matt

Back to the top
Agreed. They've come up nicely.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Great finish on the painted parts  :thumbs:

Did you use rattle cans?

Matt

smudger said

Agreed. They've come up nicely.  :thumbs:

Cheers lads, yes the last couple of parts were painted using cans, everything underneath was painted with epoxy mastic 121 with a spray gun :thumbs: 

Back to the top
So……I have got the shell back  :) :) :) 

The boot bonnet doors and wings will be ready in around 2 weeks. I could have waited and picked everything up together but as the shell was done and the weather was mild I thought I would collect it! The last thing I would want is for the weather to turn and it get sprayed with salt and mud on the way home. So tuesday night I went and collected it, now it sits back on the roll over jig ready for cavity waxing tomorrow.
     I must say I am very pleased with the paintwork it is flawless and the finish is just amazing! It really has to be seen to be appreciated as the photos do not do it justice, the camera pics up so many reflections due to the high gloss finish it has that it is difficult to see the depth in the colour! The colour is a custom one which I picked off a colour chart so as I had only seen it on a 20mm x 40mm colour card it was a slight gamble, but the good news is I love it :wub: 

So drum roll please, here she is!!!!

Thanks for looking  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Wow! 
Looks stunning. Really like the colour, suits the car perfectly! 
Pat on the back to the paint shop :thumbs:

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
I'm not at all jealous  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

paceman said

Wow! 
Looks stunning. Really like the colour, suits the car perfectly! 
Pat on the back to the paint shop :thumbs:

Thanks, they've done a lovely job!

Hairyarse said

I'm not at all jealous  :lol:

:' :thumbs: (

Back to the top
Paint looks incredible, great finish. Carbon roof fits in very well with the colour choice too  :thumbs:  :wub:

Has the rebuild begun?

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Paint looks incredible, great finish. Carbon roof fits in very well with the colour choice too  :thumbs:  :wub:

Has the rebuild begun?

Cheers mate :thumbs: 

Saturday afternoon I spent cavity waxing the shell and also got the new rear brake pipes fitted. I have pretty much all the parts painted and rebuilt ready for fitting, looking forward to getting it bolted back together!

Back to the top
Very exciting for you  :thumbs:

Whereabouts have you wax oiled?

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Very exciting for you  :thumbs:

Whereabouts have you wax oiled?

Matt

All the areas which cannot be reached by blasting/painting, such as inside A/B pillars, hollow section parts on the rear underside, any hollow parts up front, hollow parts around inside roof, inner arches where they meet outer arch, inner sills. Pretty much anywhere I could get into!

Back to the top
Superb paint job.. I bet your very pleased. 

Let the rebuild begin!

Back to the top
Oh my that is gorgeous. Green with envy mate  :$

Back to the top

GeeBee said

Superb paint job.. I bet your very pleased. 

Let the rebuild begin!

Yeah must admit I am pleased, makes all those cold evenings welding and grinding worth it  :thumbs:

smudger said

Oh my that is gorgeous. Green with envy mate  :$

Cheers mate :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Wowzaz :o  car is stunning Jimi, more pics please mate once you get some more bits on!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.