Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Cabby.The Project So Far... NOW SOLD :( !

Back to the top

Mk1 GTI Cabby.The Project So Far... NOW SOLD :( !

Got the rear electric windows in.

They work great too.

Just a nice touch to be able to drop all four windows from the front  8)

Haven't wired them into the full closure yet as I need to get the car finished for the AGM. (it'll give me something to do over the winter months anyhow)

All my crossovers are fitted for the stereo components, ready to be wired up when the door cards are fitted.

The roof has started stretching nicely at last. I don't need to jump up and down on it to close it anymore!

Just a shame I have to strip it all off again to tighten up the headlining as it's not as tight as I'd like.  :(

Will try to get the carpets and underlay fitted this weekend…

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
Bummer about the headlining mate. But I can understand why you're gonna do it as you seem to have been pretty meticulous with every aspect of your rebuild! Yours really is an example of 'if a job is worth doing its worth doing well'. Very impressive build and I've been following this with much interest!

Back to the top
Bummer about the headlining mate. But I can understand why you're gonna do it as you seem to have been pretty meticulous with every aspect of your rebuild! Yours really is an example of 'if a job is worth doing its worth doing well'. Very impressive build and I've been following this with much interest!

Back to the top
Thanks!

Nightmare about the headlining but it'll bug the hell out of me if I leave it. Decided to remove the whole roof and start again next weekend.

Got the underlay in…

Then time for the carpets…

Next fitted my kneebar (what a job trying to get to the fixings up behind the dash!!) Got there in the end.

Made a switch blank for the electric windows.

Fitted a new cigarette lighter (won't be using it, but atleast the light on it works now!)

Next… roof off (again!) and get the door cards fitted…

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
Hello mate,
Bummer about the hood…as I said braver man than me! Hope you get it how you want it. I took a leaf out of you book and dynamatted all my doors etc. I have tried to fitmy door cards and rear cards and out with the new ones not fitting due to hole centres being out. I found I had to cut back the dynamat away from the holes for the clips as the increase in thickness made it such that it is not possible to push the clips in far enough. Just something for you to consider as it cost me afew hours of swearing and chin rubbing

Back to the top
Hi mate.
Thanks for the heads up…
Another job to add to the list!
Yours is looking great by the way. Shame about the cards not fitting properly as you'd done a great job on the speaker install.

Back to the top
hello I read your topic from Spain and I am impressed by the great work you do, congratulations!

I own a convertible gti (DX) and I'm resurrecting,

excuse me for my English is not good :banghead:

can you tell me the color code that was bringing the factory?

thanks

Back to the top
Thank you very much.

Your English is very good!

The paint colour is inca blue Metallic (lk5t)

Good luck with your project. Do you have a thread?

Back to the top
Due to a floppy headliner I decided to remove the hood again and start a fresh…

For anyone doing a replacement hood, make sure the roof is completely closed when fitting most of it (handles locked).

I had removed my handle keeps and just closed the hood but didn't lock the handles. This meant that everything was too tight  once it went back together!

So….2nd time lucky!

Managed to get the roof stripped back to the headlining yesterday.

Tightened the headlining (with the roof fully closed) Re-attached the padding and fitted back (with the roof fully closed)

Just need to tape the front edge of the roof later today and re-fit the roof skin.

MISSION! I'll be able to do this in my sleep soon. Suprising how straight forward it is when you've done it twice.  :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Hi
Hope you get how you want it this time. I slotted my door cards yesterday and fitted the chrome strip to the handled, if I get it back from the body shop today I should get the interior finished. I think that will be it for a while as I am off to work for while. I will also not make the AGM as I have weekend tickets and finish line seats for the British GP which my wife bought me for my birthday so I will got get to see your finished project in the metal.
I will follow you posts while I am offshore great inspiration to me everything you do thank you

Back to the top
looking great, you will have a career fitting hoods if you carry on.. 8) .. just a thought..you could have quite easily put power steering on while you had all your dash off

cheers tony

Back to the top

djrussf1 said

Thank you very much.

Your English is very good!

The paint colour is inca blue Metallic (lk5t)

Good luck with your project. Do you have a thread?

thanks for the information of color

well mine is blue

I love the first picture with the Lenso after polishing

I have no topic I have only the presentation of newbies

here  http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…&postorder=asc&highlight=

I have almost finished and then to enjoy it for long time

see you soon

Back to the top
Thanks guys for your great comments,

Career in fitting hoods. LOL. Not on your nelly!  :wink:

Power steering…maybe in future…

Think I sorted the roof today though.  :D

Roof now stretched into the correct position. Rear cable nice and tight. Roof is like a drum!

Thanks to Chortle once again. Told me to open up the rear lip around the corners to allow the cable to get tight in the centre at the rear. Worked a treat! Top guy!

Headlining could be tighter, but I'm hoping when I cut the rear window out it'll pull itself tight as it should relieve some tension on the rear roof frame.

Going to leave the rear window for a week or so to let the roof stretch properly.

Will be cracking on with the doorcards next…

Back to the top
Major progress throughout the week and this weekend.

Re-did the roof as I wasn't 100% with it.

Got it nice…at last and fitted the rear window. Quite straight forward really (compared to the rest of it!)

Result also…the relief of tension when I cut the window out allowed my headlining to tighten up. Yipee!

Got my interior in.

Wipers on.

Gearknob fitted.

Stereo system installed…more on that later…

Took her out for a spin as the weather was nice.

A couple of pics with my phone camera…

The Infinity amp I bought over a year ago (new) doesn't work! Typical. Out of guarantee also so can't send it back. Never even fired up once.

Tested with one of my brothers amps and it all worked A1. Sounded pretty good too but I may need to go for a 12" sub.

I'll see how mine sounds when I get my new amp (2nd time lucky!)

Got a few snags to sort.

Cold start issue (runs beautiful when warm)

Tune up

Tracking and camber

New amp

Capet needs re-fitting around the accelerator pedal as I can't plant it fully

Re-fit a couple of door card clips

Speedo not working

Treat the tonneau to a refurb to match my interior.

Not much.  Should be good to go by the AGM.

Better pics to follow once I've got it all sorted a polished up nice.

Back to the top
Wow! You must be happy coz it looks amazing! Top work and a top mk1, well done :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Great to see you've finally got it back on the road!  The issues you've got to sort will probably seem pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, considering how much work you've put into this!

Back to the top
that is one gorgeous presentable cabby mate, a credit to your hard work !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
looking good fella.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks for all the great comments guys!

My snagging list is getting longer but manageable by the AGM.

Very excited!

Looks like a week of sun this week so hoping to take it out again a couple of evenings.

Defo cabby weather today!

Back to the top
Mate that is looking fantastic.

You must be over the moon with it.

Cant wait to see it at the AGM.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.