Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Cabby.The Project So Far... NOW SOLD :( !

Back to the top

Mk1 GTI Cabby.The Project So Far... NOW SOLD :( !

by the way your seats look great ,who did the needle work, leather is not easy to work with its not like sewing fabric, I hope my seats turn out as good as your.

Back to the top
Seats were bought from autoleathers, fitted by me. Only the drivers seat to do. That'll be the last thing I do.
 :D

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
Slow progress lately. Not much happening.

Had this arrive which looks very nice and shiny!

Had some more bits back from the platers.
Need to get the alternator and starter put back together now and tackle the engine rebuild.

Went to a wedding fayre at the weekend….I'm in love!

No…not with the mrs! (don't tell her) but this…

Wow. I want one. My bro wants to do a camper resto next. It took them 1 month to do the drivers side panel on this bus!!! It's absolutely perfect though…not a ripple!

Maybe I'll concentrate on getting my cab finished first…

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
im jelouse of your arches :( builds goin well dude, love the seats and leather work, very smart!

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
Nice mate, I nearly bought this cab but ended up with a tintop instead. Looking good though. 20vt is the way to go!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Nice work mate :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hurry up and get some work done….I'm getting bored of waiting for some more photos!!!! lol!

:banghead:

Back to the top
Great build and the work your doing looks amazing…

Could I ask what coil overs you are using?

Hope to see more progress soon…

Back to the top
Thanks guys,

Coilovers are hot tuning. Pretty good compared to my old avo's. Maybe a little stiffer, but I'm running the car lower now so that's probably got something to do with it.

Hopefully get the engine back together next week, so more updates to follow.

Back to the top
cant wait to see the rest, awsome tread mate, did you sort the central locking and alram out yet, i got the same probs, someone has hacked all my wiring and the door locks and ripped all the alrm wires out, i got the alarm and immob working now but cant figure out the live from thre alarm to door motors, any ideal, the alarm is a toad ai606 which i think is the same type as yours

only 2 tools needed, wd40 & ducktape, if its stuck,wd40. if it needs sticking,duck tape ;p

Back to the top
Thanks,
Central locking and alarm working A1 now. Got a friend who is a thatcham approved installer. He's going to come and program the unit properly as there are a lot of extra settings I haven't sorted out yet.
Hopefully he'll sort me out with a certificate too!
Fitting instructions can be found here:
http://dub-se7en.toyotagtturbo.com/useful_info/OTHER_PDFS/Ai606_Install.pdf

Wired mine for negative trigger pulse.
Hope this helps?

Back to the top
mate your a star, ive just relaised i havent got the central locking modual, or i havent found it yet  :lol: i only picked the car up on saturday, its in for mot tomorrow and im pretty confident it will pass, then its back to mine to start playing with it, got loads to do so might start a tread, wont be as good as yours though as i got a baby on the way and the mrs is already going mad at me for buying the golf, im sure i can sneek a couple of mods in though :lol:
keep up the good work matey

only 2 tools needed, wd40 & ducktape, if its stuck,wd40. if it needs sticking,duck tape ;p

Back to the top
Very nice work djrussf1 wow u got a lot of talent man. Interior and motor very very nice work

Back to the top
Excellent build thread…. really good work but just mirroring everyones comments. I've spent the last hour reading through this while busy at work…. honest! Wished I had the space, time and more importantly money to go to the detail you have.. like the pictures of the parts layout… great idea! I'll go so far with my cabby but not to that extent…. or I'll get the bug that I've already caught and start stripping down more!

Keep up the excellent work mate… it'll be stunning when it's finished!

Andy

Back to the top
This thread is the inspriation for my mk1 rocco project - ive only just started so dont have a decent thread yet.

I like the silver on black and the all the interior little touches that are gonna make this car a real beauty.

Keep it going to the end mate

Back to the top
wow !

HATS OF TO YOU !

this is a breat build thread, and that is gona be one gorgeous cabby when done

keep going mate you will get there :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for all the great comments guys. It's really spurred me on to get going again.
Been busy lately as I'm starting a new business soon.
Not many updates to report.

Had a couple of bits back from being rebuilt…

Going to get up the garage tomorrow and finish the engine bay so I can start putting it back together.

Worked out my on going costs on this project the other day…OMG!

I could have bought 3 of these (my old A6) Hope no-one minds me posting these pics…they're VAG I suppose??

and 1 of these (my old A8 on 20's!)

Think I need to forget about the money and start imagining sunny days with the roof down and tunes pumping! Can't wait.  :D  :D  :D  

Updates WILL follow soon…

Back to the top

MK1 GTI Cabby..The Project So Far..Detailed engine going in!

Hooray!! Progress today… :D

Got the bug again…feeling very motivated.

Started prepping the rear arches. They'd been rolled to allow clearance of the alloys so no rubbing when it's low.

Wanted them to look naturally flared so a bit of filling a moulding should do the trick. Could have left them alone as the bodykit covers them but I want it to be proper.

Gave them both the rust treatment first and a coat of acid etch…

Started filling and smoothing them off today but I'll wait till they're finished to post a few more pics (tomorrow hopefully!)

Next I finished off the engine bay…all ready for the engine to go back in…

Started putting the engine back together. Had some help from my Dad to line all the cam markings etc up properly…don't want my rebuilt engine to go bang on the 1st turn of the key.  :evil:

Bare engine block before…

and after…

Started getting some bits bolted on…

Getting there…

Before…

After…(need to change the rocker cover nuts for nice shiny new ones still)

Another angle…pants picture! :redfaced:

Last ones for today…

Not the best pics but will do for now. Taking my proper camera up the garage so will get some better shots soon.

Tomorrow I'll be tackling the water pipes and possibly get the gearbox onto the engine…exciting!

Back to the top
My list to Santa-

1. Can I have an engine that looks like djrussf1's one please

2. Can I have the know how of djrussf1

3. An orange

Back to the top

Not forgetting.....

Massbad69 said

My list to Santa-

1. Can I have an engine that looks like djrussf1's one please

2. Can I have the know how of djrussf1

3. An orange

4. A nice roast dinner……….which you could eat off his engine!!!

Nice work bruv…..looks awesome….when you've finished…move 2 garages down, you've got a splitty to start on! lol
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.