Skip navigation

Mk1 1.6 Gti Project Rot Box!!! BAD NEWS!!

Back to the top

Mk1 1.6 Gti Project Rot Box!!! BAD NEWS!!

8O

Ah man, I used to read this all the time for motivation- it made working on mine seem like such a doddle!

Shame to see it breaking, but sounds like you're doing the right thing- hope it's parts go to a good cause.

Thanks for the inspirational thread jelly :)

Back to the top
that is very impressive

awesome to see how this has come along

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
thought i would bump this back up

so gutted i had to let this go :( but the situation at the time needed me to

ginner, you think you can weld yours up in a few weekends, forgett it!!

Banner

Back to the top
Have you seen the movie Up!, at the start there a montage of the kids life and how he meets a girl and falls in love and grows up with her and marrys her, then she dies! And you can kinda see that she's gonna die but you don't want to believe it.

That's how I feel now!  :'(

Proper gutted for you mate, all that effort.   :(

Back to the top
This was an awesome project,used to love reading it, thanks for the link mate,it's really inspired me :thumbs:

Back to the top
me and my old man was chatting about this today

he calls it my "rotten first mk1" an he wasn't wrong

oh the memories!!!! :)

Banner

Back to the top
i cant beleive i have just read this whole thread to find out its was never finished  :'(  :'(  :'(  whos got her now mate?

There is always something about your first mk1 that you can never let go of. I hated my black mk1 and was over the moon when i found my mint shell….as soon as i saw the black one on the back of the truck off to the scrappy my heart sank  :(

Back to the top
i got a message maybe 2 year ago that the shell had re appeared

problem was as i informed the bloke that i registered scrap so he couldn't put it back on the road

then he went quiet

so who know

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

problem was as i informed the bloke that i registered scrap so he couldn't put it back on the road

then he went quiet

so who know

Hopefully he got it back on the road mate it is leagally possible to do if you know the right legal steps  ;)

Back to the top

Lowdown said

jellybelly said

then he went quiet

so who know

Hopefully he got it back on the road mate it is leagally possible to do if you know the right legal steps  ;)

99% certain project rotbox is now my Shellby  :thumbs:

Back to the top
You got any pictures?

Banner

Back to the top
There's a build thread on here called "shellby"

Had bought the shell off eBay before I found your thread, spent many hours reading it and wasn't until the last few pages that I started to notice the similarities, repairs in the same place, welds in the same place, fuse box mount missing etc.

I'm sure it's the same one, but no idea how it got from you to me, think I collected it from a farm near Nottingham.

Matt

Back to the top
yea i read your buil thread last night very similar

was supprised the fron wing was so far out but that does explain why i could never get things to fit right, my bad

looks light you doing a fab job

i still have the service book for it here if your interested?

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

yea i read your buil thread last night very similar

was supprised the fron wing was so far out but that does explain why i could never get things to fit right, my bad

looks light you doing a fab job

i still have the service book for it here if your interested?

Cheers Jelly

This was such an inspirational thread, loved reading the updates. Was strange to find I owned the shell I was reading about, learning how to fix things from you, before I'd finished reading the whole thing  :lol:

Don't worry about the wing, minor problem, especially considering the work you put into her. Seems only right that she gets finished after all this time, will keep you posted  :thumbs:

And yes please to the service book, I'll pm you my address, let me know how much to post and I'll paypal you.

Matt

Back to the top
Gutted for you after so much work! Know it probably dont soften the blow much but your thread has been priceless with its pics and tips im sure it will be my most viewed thread as I start mine chin up dude

Back to the top
with the weather so cold out i thought i'd look at a blast from the past

still bugs me i never finished it

Banner

Back to the top
Some things just aren't meant to be. You have to know when enough's enough!

I've got one that needs finishing if it'd make you feel better!

Back to the top
haha my work isnt up to your standards mate

you have no excuses either, at least mine is i havent got a garage :)

Banner
There are too many online users to list.