Skip navigation

Mk1 1.6 Gti Project Rot Box!!! BAD NEWS!!

Back to the top

Mk1 1.6 Gti Project Rot Box!!! BAD NEWS!!

i got on ok with the last set i had on a previous car.

we'll see what happens

Banner

Back to the top
bit more of a play today this is the new peice welded in!!!

seam sealer and anit rust

quick spray of mars red and then this side is almost sorted  :D  :D

need to get my nipple sorted tho as it's holding me up, anyway of getting this out???

Banner

Back to the top
i had the same problem but i just left it in but as i was a tyre nd brake fitter id the brake pipeto bleed them up.

just drill it out and re-tap the hole easy enough a cheep tap and di set will do it.

keep on dubbing

Back to the top
Try a bit of WD40 on it, then get some water pump pliers or mole grips on it.

If that doesn't work try gently heating the area with a blowtorch, and then give it another go with the pliers.

You can get brand new nipples from VW - it's probably worth doing both sides while you're at it…

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
cheers mcscrew

fully sorted now took it to work and drilled it out.

and the best thing of all, i did it in works time so i got paid for it. :lol:  :lol:

a bit naughty i know but all the boss were out so while the cats away, i can play

Banner

Back to the top
finished up today

sprayed the inside up

then finished off the front

also stuck the wheel back on, and the door. dropped it back on the floor now so i can see if there's a leak

also this week work is pritty quiet so built a bench for the shed and put a spot light up.

happy with my mid week progress, roll on the weekend!!! :lol:  :lol:

let me know what you think??

Banner

Back to the top
Nice repair, looks strong :wink: New brakes always look good as does anything shiny!! 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
:clap: Good work

It's always more rewarding having days of putting bits back on, that's when you stand back and  :mrgreen:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Great work mate, really admire your positive approach to jobs which would have most people thinking the worst :wink:

At the end of the day a mk1 is for driving and if this allows it to drive for a few more years before it needs a bit work, then job done.

Keep up the good work.

Pete.

Back to the top
well with one side done, that means one more to go!!!!

got it jacked up as high as i could!! :D

then took off the wheel,brakes and hub

before:

after:

then i decided to have a look underneth, i didn't know what this side was like but i expected the worse………………. and i found it!! :banghead:  :banghead:

so i set about cleaning things up to have a good look, and this is how it looks!!!

thats how i left it for today, bit disheartened :cry:  really but on the bright side i'm off to dubfreeze tomorrow so that should cheer me up!!

Banner

Back to the top
Don't worry dude, with your skills i'm sure you'll have it sorted :wink:

Now back to it :D

Back to the top
well after have a good day on sunday walking around dubfreeze, seen some stunning cars about!!!! and bought some stuff which is always good!!!

got up for work nice and early so i finished super early, thought i would have a few hours cleaning things up.

and after an hour or two i start to uncover a sight that i didn't what to see!!! :cry:  :cry:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :cry:  :cry:

a veiw down the sill!!! :cry:

an overview!!!:cry:

now this is far worse than the other side, and it's kinda got me stumped, not sure where to start :dontknow:  :dontknow:

please help me

Banner

Back to the top
8O what does the top side look like?

i can see there are a lot of welds here, are they from real repairs or are they patched OVER rust?

looks sound enough tho.

just that left sill needs cutting out and replacing.

if you wanna tidy it up you could probably just linish the welds flat.

Back to the top

jellybelly said

well after have a good day on sunday walking around dubfreeze, seen some stunning cars about!!!! and bought some stuff which is always good!!!

got up for work nice and early so i finished super early, thought i would have a few hours cleaning things up.

and after an hour or two i start to uncover a sight that i didn't what to see!!! :cry:  :cry:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :cry:  :cry:

a veiw down the sill!!! :cry:

an overview!!!:cry:

now this is far worse than the other side, and it's kinda got me stumped, not sure where to start :dontknow:  :dontknow:

please help me

Move the knight from b1 to c3 and you should be okay….

Back to the top
don't follow :scratch:

Banner

Back to the top
checkmate :lol:

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
chess, never liked that game

Banner

Back to the top
Cut the lot out mate,that what i`d do and put a fresh floor pan in :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
where do i get new floor repair peices????

Banner

Back to the top
I think Crazyquif has some,if not i have a shell with a mint floor in if your stuck :)

keep on keeping on
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.