Skip navigation

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Back to the top

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Hi Chaps

Thought I should update you on progress on the car

Well I’ve not had as much time as I would have liked on it what with various other commitments but I have done a bit

Got the front grill and headlights fitted which was pleasing

Fitted side trim which was an utter pig to do fitting the plastic clips without marking the bodywork with a pair of pliers!

Also fitted a few bits to the rear of the vehicle including poorly fitting pattern headlights (which I will be replacing with hella’s when funds allow), rear number plate and rear badges

I have also started to fit the tailgate surround vinyl decal – done the bottom section using a hair dryer and sprayed water on both decal and body work and I am relatively pleased…a few small bobbles I could not get out but hopefully these will disappear with the water evaporating. I’ve left it and shall head over this eve to complete the rest!

Doors have check straps on, working locks and internal handles fitted

I made some new weather strips out of faux vinyl for inside the doors (one was missing and the other was past it's best) – here’s a pic

Got the heater box, master cylinder in and will be routing the wiring loom and wrapping that over the next week or so

Bunged the steelies on to see how things would look as a finished article

Yes there is a wheel bolt missing….

Had approx. 10 attempts at fitting windscreen, it really does not want to go in. 3 mates and it was still popping back out when we had it half in. My mate has done a few of these and he had to admit defeat saying this one’s a tight one!”

Used para cord, heated rubber in boiling water and waxoil on the body lip still no joy. Got a chap coming out this eve who laughed it took 3 of us to fail so I am half tempted to sit with an ice cream and watch him do his magic!

That’s all for now

Martin

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top
Wow that looks so nice, can't get over how good the paint looks, you must be well pleased.

Good work so far, like the new weather strips you've made.

Not seen a front GTI badge with 8V on it too before.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hi Andy

Thanks - paint is amazing I wont lie. It will be given another polish once I have finsihed all the work then with a good sealant and wax should "pop" even more. I have noticed the paint guys work all has the same look to it, hard to explain but all the car's he does you can tell he has done them….bizarre

8v badge was bought from Trimsport and added to the gti badge. Wanted to make it known still has an 8v under the bonnet albeit a modded one!

Back to the top
..I do like the badge  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking really nice Martin :wub: . I'm not looking forward to fitting the windscreen in mine either, looks like a right pain.

Back to the top
Speechless......Credit to you and being a Mars Red man myself,made me smile seeing it finally painted.... :thumbs:

Back to the top
Paint looks incredible, g60 wheesl look great too  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks for all the positive comments guys :thumbs:

Been a fan of your car for years campaignjerry got a mag back from 2002 with it featured!

Top tip chaps…check your windscreen fits prior to paint. Basically windscreen chap came out and I explained the problems I was having so first thing he did was check it fitted with a uniform gap all the way around without the rubber fitted…and it doesn't. The very edges of the scuttle get too tight onto the screen hence why the rubber pops out halfway into an install. Got paint guy coming to look next week but could be some fettling and painting :-( one step forward…

Back to the top
Good tip, shame about the set-back but hopefully it can get sorted easily ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Spent a morning on the mk1 this weekend

Got the door mirrors on and fitted up the door cards

Fitted rear bumper and made a start on the tailgate decal….

Here are some photo's

Back to the top
This weeks 'kleenex' moment. Thank you  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Gorgeous :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
WOW! looks amazing, great transformation! :thumbs:

Back to the top
thats one shiny car, lovely  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
You don't need a windscreen for MoT anyway  :lol: if you had one and it was cracked though it would be a different story! Is it a VW genuine one mate? What happened to the screen that was on it? If you've still got it can you compare it? Looks lovely though, was certainly worth the wait! Hope to see you at the AGM mate!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Hey mate

original screen got cracked on it's way out….
This is a 2nd hand non-genuine so was considering buying a genuine one but paint man is heading over 2mrw to access the damage and says dont so hasty…hmmmm!
Dunno if this heap will be ready for agm :-(

Back to the top
"This heap"? it's a beauty mate!! she'll be ready :thumbs:

Back to the top
You should deffo get a genuine one mate, you can still order them from VW or TPS. I got mine from CQ but realised after driving down there to get it (It is collection only from CQ) that you can order them new from VW, (They are the SA equivalents but fit like a glove. They have VW stamped on them too) There is very little chance that the A-pillars will have been messed with or moved, they are a lot of the strength of the shell and for that reason, is why they are folded on the outside and double skinned.

I'm surprised considering the quality of everything else on the car that you haven't already scouted out a mint 80's screen from no where lol

Get a proper screen, I bet it will fit :thumbs:

You'll get there, it looks great mate, keep going!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
£142.50 less Paid Member discount here:
http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/Items.php?cat=SLAREA&group=WINDSCREEN
(Second item from the bottom…)

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Cheers fellas

Yep i've skimped and it's possibly screwing things….! 

Thanks Joe will give vw a ring in the morning. It isn't the a pillars that's the issue it is the scuttle tray. Its a pattern scuttle from heritage so this could be the issue? Paint man is confident scuttle is in perfect but just wants to have a gander and make sure. The more I think about it I NEED a genuine screen lol!

There are too many online users to list.