Skip navigation

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Back to the top

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Hi Andy

Apologies for the late reply. I enquired about the lead sticks he used and he was not sure if they were non- lead or lead however pls find the details below of the suppliers who will be able to help. He explained the process of painting a flux on the metal, heating it up and wiping it away then repeating until the surface is sufficiently "primed" before lead loading -  looks to be a fair bit of info on the internet after having a quick look. I hope this helps & pls let me know how u get on ;-)  

http://www.sayers-ltd.co.uk/contact_us/contact_form.php

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Hi Andy

Apologies for the late reply. I enquired about the lead sticks he used and he was not sure if they were non- lead or lead however pls find the details below of the suppliers who will be able to help. He explained the process of painting a flux on the metal, heating it up and wiping it away then repeating until the surface is sufficiently "primed" before lead loading -  looks to be a fair bit of info on the internet after having a quick look. I hope this helps & pls let me know how u get on ;-)  

http://www.sayers-ltd.co.uk/contact_us/contact_form.php

Cheers for coming back on that, decent of you.

Will be a little while I think before I'm on to that but will update.

Many thanks again  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
No worries Andy :-)

Shell is really coming along now - see photos :thumbs:

Back to the top
Getting there mate slowly but surely.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
You know it mate, very slow but quality work

Must get on with clutch assembly this wkend now as I've been a bit lazy  :$

Back to the top
Looking good mate, she looks straight as a die!!  Are those arch spats from Funkstar?

Back to the top
Yeh really pleased other side being done tomorrow. they are repro from funk and paint guy said they are best fitting repro he has worked with :thumbs:

Back to the top
Shell looks great, all panels look aligned perfectly, good job  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Yeh really pleased other side being done tomorrow. they are repro from funk and paint guy said they are best fitting repro he has worked with :thumbs:

Arches look really good, got some ordered too!!

Back to the top
To be fair i could have salvaged the originals with a heat gun had some tool /bodger not drilled a few holes in them :P i shall get some better photos of the arches up in the morn mate. they are great quality :thumbs:

Back to the top

Back to the top
not long left now mate  ;)

Back to the top
Top work Drapoon. Going to look amazing when done.

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments gents

I thought I would add my finished parcel shelf photo's
Made from MDF but also utilising as much of the original fixings as possible. I know it probably isnt to everyones taste but the speakers are genuine 1983 relics ;-)

Back to the top
Small update:

After a few msgs to rubjonny (much appreciated advice mate) I felt confident enough to fit the clutch assembly and gearbox onto my engine.
I bought a sachs clutch which looks a good quality bit of kit compared to the well worn item I removed!

Here's a photo of the assembled engine

I also fitted my brass Bosch Mercedes fuel injectors to my new Hel fuel lines - all starting to look quite nice

Back to the top
Looking mint mate.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Beautiful looking engine, will look great when fitted  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks chaps. felt great clunking the box on and seeing it all together after 2 years :thumbs:

Back to the top
Wow the engine and gear box look sweet. Love the colour combinations!  ;)

Great attention to detail… Martin.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Hi chaps - happy new year :thumbs:

Well project golf has had a slow couple of months with the arrival of my son Jack on the 18th November plus paint guy is not playing ball  :P
I have now been promised the shell back for end of Jan/ mid Feb & I really hope to have car on the road this year… for those of you new to this thread my shell has been at the paintshop since January 2012…..!

Here is a photo I took on the 23rd December:

With having to wait around the good news is I have re-visited bits I was not quite happy with so I now have a custom made weighted fully stainless gear linkage kit form hotgolf on the Club Gti forum, a lightened flywheel again from Hotgolf. Here are a couple of photos of the install:

old v new

I am happy to report that despite not having the correct clutch alignment tool but with a careful measure and adjustment with a small screwdriver the gearbox went on 1st time round again ;-)

I also removed the starter motor copper bush that sits inside the gearbox ( chipped out with a small chisel and replaced with a new one that came with my refurbed starter motor

That is all for now - more to follow over the next couple of weeks   

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.