Skip navigation

Lemon Yellow Tin top Restoration

Back to the top
Thank you. Nice to see another yellow mk1 been saved. You should get a build thread started and it may give you some motivation. If you need any help give me a shout.

Back to the top
Good advice. Think I will start my build thread today. Motivation is what I really need. Been watching your build and D_Martijn's build. Both are very nice indeed. I am sure I will need some advice along the way.

Back to the top
BajaScout - Thanks again.

Picked up a set of rear Bilsteins. These will get a refurb before fitting.

And some pictures from a drive out today

Back to the top
cars looking good with the new wheels Andrew. Great photo location - your house. . .?

Back to the top
Thank you very much. I was never a fan of the previous wheels but they were on the car when I bought and money had to go on other things during the restoration. I think the change of wheels suit the car well but again these aren't my ideal choice but they came up for sale locally at a good price so I had to have them. They had been stood on a mk2 gti for 8 years before I bought them. I wish it was my house, local hall where by brother works as a gardener about 5 / 10 mins from where I live.

Back to the top
Okay so its been a while since I updated this. Not a lot has changed really. Cleaned and re-sprayed the front grill and badge and fitted some new plug leads as the others were way to long

Also picked up a pair of original steel wheels thank to Raul on here

These will be getting a full refurb soon. And a picture of one wheel trial fitted on the car. Still looking for another 3 if anyone has any

Last edit: by mk1newbie

Back to the top
Both wheels look good, but looks best on the original steels  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks Matt, I was thinking that as well, I think the size of the still wheel suits the car better. What do others think?

Back to the top
Thanks Matt, I was thinking that as well, I think the size of the steel wheel suits the car better. What do others think?

Back to the top
Hey hey, glad you got the wheels ok. 

Yeah I'm a big fan of 13's with chunky tyres these days, it's gonna look sweet bud. 

Back to the top
Cheers and thanks for your help

Back to the top
So when I bought the car the previous owner told me it was a 4 speed, having adjusted the gear lever and not been able to select 5th gear and also been new to these cars at the time I went along with it. It wasn't until I started looking into a 5 speed swap I realised I already had a 5 speed gearbox fitted. So why wasn't I able to select 5th gear, well after some research and this

from abfmk1, the correct 6" gear select lever instead of the shorter 4" 4 speed lever which was fitted to my car when I bought it I now have 5 gears   also whilst I was at it I fitted a full new set of gear linkage bushes and rods and wow what a different it has made, for the £8 I spent on these I recommend doing it for anyone that has play in the gear lever or just hasn't changed the bushes before. And also thanks to abfmk1 for helping me out with the gear select lever

Back to the top
These cars are mad, the smallest thing can mean 4 gears instead of 5  :lol:

Which kit did you buy?

Matt

Back to the top
Yeah tell me about it, took some finding out. This is the kit I got. eBay item number: 361946594627

Gave the 5 speed gear selector a good clean before fitting too

Last edit: by mk1newbie

Back to the top
I quite liked your original wheels (but then I do like 5 spokes).. still got them?

Back to the top

Back to the top
Annoyed to discover none of my pictures are displaying due to Photobucket no longer allowing what is classes as 3rd party hosting. Must have had this account with them at least 10 years. Going to take an age to upload all the pictures with someone else and re do all the links. Trying to figure out which pictures go where in the is thread is going to be interesting to say the least. I'm guessing lots of you are in the same boat.

Back to the top
Yeah same boat. I think it's very poor how it's been handled. No warning, then a bill for 400 dollars, or euros or whatever.

I think the company will take a big hit for it

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yup, I went through the same.. I downloaded all my pictures from photobucket and uploaded them to flickr.
I was already using it for my photography stuff and liked their site a lot more.

It does take some work to edit every single post though :p
I did mine over 2 evenings.

Back to the top
Came across this thread today, and really enjoyed following your progress.
First class job, will look out for you.
Do you attend any of the VW shows?

regards Greg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.