Skip navigation

Lemon Yellow Tin top Restoration

Back to the top
i love a lemon yellow mk1 golf :)

Back to the top
Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

Zorg - the the tyres are 195/45/16

Not updated this for a while but ive been busy working on the car when I have time and this is how it currently stands. Still bits and pieces to do like fit the front spoiler and rear arch spats but its not far off ready for mot now apart from a few like issues that need sorting.

Back to the top
Well after just over a year since I purchased the car, stripped it to a bare shell and restored it, it's back on the road  :) passed its mot first time yesterday and completed a 30 mile trip to work and back via the mot station without any issues. Well happy. Now for the fun part, driving it  :)

Back to the top
Thanks everyone for your help and advice so far  :)

Back to the top
Excellent news - now go buy some coilovers!  :thumbs:

Back to the top

mk1newbie said

Zorg - the the tyres are 195/45/16

ohh, i am losing my touch i was sure they were 15's

thanks for the info and keep up the good work!

-z

i pressed the little red button

Back to the top
Not much has happened with the car since my last update as I havent been driving it over the winter but here are a few pictures I have taken but not got round to uploading untill now.

Powerflow exhaust has now been replaced with a standard exhaust.

Goodridge brake hoses fitted.

Painted the front calipers and rear drums. I think its more suited than the red which they were painted in before.

Rear beam will be refurbed in the summer.

Suspension is due to be replaced with coilovers. Again this is a job for the summer.

Also applied a vinyl strip along the sill as I didnt fancy drilled holes in a brand new sill to fit the trim. The vinyl will do for now. And trial fitted the rear arch guards. I think these will finish it off nicely.

Front spoiler fitted. You can just about see it in this picture.

And here it is tucked away for the winter

Last edit: by mk1newbie

Back to the top
These should be with me this week. Cheers James  :thumbs:

Back to the top
great looking package, will sort the ride height nicely  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Are planning not to keep it standard.....

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
As you can see its been a while since I've updated this, and as its now getting closer to the new show season and putting the car back on the road for the spring / summer I thought I would do a little update from last summer.

Sound deadening the interior

New front and rear GTi seats

Making the door membranes

photo 2015-05-07 13.40.50_zpsspfaqrhr.jpg

Coilovers fitted

photo 2015-05-21 17.54.27_zpsyhktznww.jpg

At my brothers unit www.stmotorsport.net getting the wiring done

Random picture at my mates house

photo 2015-05-23 18.55.34_zpsvse8t3dx.jpg

And some from the VW show at Bodelwyddan Castle just before the TV show Don't Tell Bride started filming in front of he vwgolfmk1 owners club stand where my car was parked

As you can see the coilovers didn't last very long before I took them off due to what I would describe as I very uncomfortable driving experience. Hope you like the updates and lots more planned for this show season.

Back to the top
loving it nice work also 

Back to the top

Back to the top

allana13 said

Are planning not to keep it standard…..
It will be mainly standard apart from a slightly lower ride height and already has the alloys which were on it when I bought it.

Back to the top
Great project, you must be very proud.
What size are the wheels please?

Back to the top
Thanks. Must admit it does feel good driving it when you know how much work went into it. The wheels are 15".

Back to the top
Now the cars back on the road for the summer I thought I'd update this with a purchase from this weekend

Wheels need a good clean but are in excellent condition. Here a few pictures from a test drive with them on from today

I've also started fitting some rear seat belts and sound deadening under the bonnet but don't have any pictures at the moment.

Back to the top
Think your front wheel may be on the wrong side. Looks like those tyres are directional ones, look on the side wall and you may see an arrow pointing in the direction the tyre rotates when going forward.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Looking at the tread pattern in the picture I think you are right there. Well that's embarrassing  :$  sure I would of noticed sooner or later but cheers for pointing it out.

Back to the top
RABBIT.jpg

Nice build! Hopefully I can get going on mine. Been sitting for over a year now.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.