Skip navigation

Kamei Retro Racer mk1 build

Back to the top

Kamei Retro Racer mk1 build

Right i just shorted the starter motor across from it's main live to it's ignition pin on it and it does nothing, will try next by bringing the battery around to the front of the car if i get a chance today.

Not related but while i do this the fuel pipe coming up from the tank moves and a click is heard from within the metering head so sounds like the pump is doing it's job.

Back to the top
last thing is as i say, jump one of the starter mounting bolts direct to the chassis :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
holly sh*t it worked!!!!!!!

well done good man

i jumped it from the bolt on the starter motor to the earth where the horn area is and wham engine turns by the power of the starter motor.

Back to the top
Haven't fired the engine yet until i sort the earth out, will start at the gearbox mount like suggested and go from there.

just a suggestion but is there anything else on the gearbox that needs to be earthed?

i know there is the reverse switch on there but thinking if i cannot get a good earth through the gearbox/mount would it be possible to move the earth cable from the mount and instead connect it from the starter motor bolt to the chassis?

Back to the top
Wow amazing workmanship gone into this.. well done, it's looking great. Will you be going to Nürburgring this year with clubgt?

Back to the top
no i don't think so, the 1st trip might me in mine & the wifes time as we would like to go to the kamei factory and some other places.

Back to the top
the only earht on the box is that one to the bracket, as i say its not a great design so if i were you id be off to the scrappy, find a1.8-2.0 8v mk3 and pinch the rear gearbox mounting bolt. follow the battery earth and you'll find the one i mean. it has a stud on the end of the bolt head, then run a nice chunky earth to that :)

Back to the top
I have that strap on there, this one (pic taken while fitting):

though i need to check as i might not have scrapped the excess paint under the wire.

if i did it already then it might be where the mount attaches to the box instead

Back to the top
yeah i would avoid earthing there, even when not painted its not great after 20+ years. since the box and bracket are different metals corrosion builds up which makes for a poor earth path. the rear bolt stud is a better idea, which is why vw switched to it on the later mk2 and from then onwards :)

the bolt i mean is the large one at the back which holds the gearbox to the engine block, the bolt has a direct earth contact to the block itself which also means all the sensors which earth to the block will get a better earth too

Back to the top
cheers i will take a look underneath, i will have to order a longer cable then to reach. for now if it works and reaches i will pop it on the one that goes through the starter/gearbox/block/engine mount if that is ok.

I think i saw spare battery cables in my local halfords the other day otherwise i know of an autoelectrical place that might be able to make the lead.

cheers again

mike

p.s. talking about earths would that be why my oil pressure guage isn't going up much too?

Back to the top
its one of the top 2 bolts, the one further back :)
can just see it here, the head is all clean and shiny where the earth cable was fitted:

actually you can see in the piccy both of the bolts are the stud type, somehow I ended up with 2 stud bolts and no non-stud bolts :lol:

Back to the top
call me stupid but what is a stud bolt? mine just looks like a thicker bolt.

edit:is it just a different type head on the bolt like the ones on the cv joints.

Back to the top
its exactly the same as the normal bolt, just it has an M8 thread on the end of the bolt head, you fit your earth on it and a bolt to secure :)

Back to the top
Ooh do you by any chance have a part number for one as mine is just a big chunky flat hexagon headed bolt in mine.

thanks

Back to the top
pretty sure its this one:
N   907 016 04  - double stud with hexagon drive, M12x55/M8x10 - 2.05+VAT

as i say its on all mk3 1.8-2.0 so dead easy to pinch from zee scrappy ;)

Back to the top
great stuff

Back to the top

rubjonny said

pretty sure its this one:
N   907 016 04  - double stud with hexagon drive, M12x55/M8x10 - 2.05+VAT

as i say its on all mk3 1.8-2.0 so dead easy to pinch from zee scrappy ;)

Doh i own a mk3 lol

Just popped the bonnet to take a pic, i forget that they share bits:

Back to the top
tada!

Back to the top
only one dodgy scrappy in my area so ordered one at my local vw for £2.50, will pop up there next week (working weekend anyway).

cheers

Back to the top
Hi rubjonny i have just this minute sorted out the earth :D.

Just fault finding now hopefully to get her to fire.

Also bought a longer new battery cable from halfords and earthed it from the new top bolt on the gearbox nearer the bulkhead that goes into the block like you said and the other end went where my horn was earthed where the battery tray would normally be.

Even though the engine doesn't fire yet the engine spins around off the starter motor quite happily without running battery down quickly.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.