Skip navigation

Just a quick tidy up..........Oops!! (UPDATE 22/06/10)

Back to the top

Just a quick tidy up..........Oops!! (UPDATE 22/06/10)

I couldnt find a tailgate that fitted the bill despite having 3 to choose from. So i bit the bullet and bought a genuine VW panel. As some of you will know these are CITI Golf items and are slightly different from 'old' ones. Theya re also a big chunk of money!!

This is where the wiper motor mounts.

After a bit of careful marking out i had this.

Also the wiper spindle a water jet nozzle are in the wrong place.

Finally drilled the badge holes.

Also there are a few holes to delete.

Back to the top
In the words of the mighty Pete Tong…..we continue……

Tailgate all painted and fitted up. It took a little bit of fettling but it shuts sweet now.

Had a batch of trinkets plated.

And then bought my own plating kit so that i could do as much as i wanted.

Cleaned my water bottles and added the felt anti rattle strips.

Onto the front brakes. New backing plates, powder coated and then all brand new callipers, discs, pads etc, etc.

Finished off fiting the new brake lines too.

Refurbished my wiper motor. Totally stripped it apart and rebuilt.

Started to clean my gearbox and discovered this beneath the crud!!!

So i hoisted the spare from my trusty donor car and started the cleaning process again.

This is good stuff.

Once it was clean i sent it off for a full rebuild. All new bearings, seals and gaskets, etc. Time to tart it up a bit now.

I finally managed to get somebody who knew what they were doing to make and install a headliner. I bought a kit from Newton Commercial but the grain in the material was totally wrong. So i got another one made locally and installed over a couple of visits.

Back to the top
Time to 'dress' the engine. The engine has been fully rebuilt by Daz @ Aircooled Performance to stock specification. For those of you who are not familliar Daz is one of the countrys premier air cooled engine builders, . He checked all internal components and replaced where necessary. The block has been cleaned and painted and all ancilleries either replaced or renovated. Anything that could be powder coated has been. I removed several bolts, nuts etc and introduced them to the plating tank.

I also blasted and coated the exhaust manifold in hi temp paint.

Engine and gearbox reunited once more.

And then after a couple of hours of huffing and puffing…………………its in………………. :mrgreen:

Back to the top
looking absolutely amazing!! phenomenal detail

Back to the top
great rebuild, loving the detailing…good stuff dude, shame ur not near bham or i could of fitted ur roof lining for you…..ive done loads…..

bob

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

great rebuild, loving the detailing…good stuff dude, shame ur not near bham or i could of fitted ur roof lining for you…..ive done loads…..

bob

Thanks mate, its deffinately starting to look like something now. Yeah the rooflining was a nightmare but its sorted now though. I watched him closely and i think that i may give it a go when i start on my next project. The next car doesnt need to be so quite so 'perfect'.  :wink:

Back to the top
Very nice work!

Back to the top
I went to my local breakers and managed to get some carpet hat is an exact match for the strips that go into the spare wheel well. So i wielded the stanley and cut some replacements.

Then i masked off the areas and applied some contact adhesive.

After about 30 seconds, due to the fact it was scorching hot, i stuck them on.

Flushed with success i installed my new under lay kit.

Then i tackled my new Hella headlights.

Fitted with new genuine screws…….sad as, i know!!

Back to the top
Moving onto the fuel injection. I dismantelled the meter head and air box fully. I stuck a few bolts into the plating tank, cleaned up and painted the air flap body, fuel distribution block etc and refitted it all back together with new gaskets.

I even went for a genuine air filter.

Whilst in the vacinity i dug out my Bosch Recinditioned starter motor. A quick mask off and a flick of paint and it will be ready to go in once the bolts have been plated.

New, genuine rear number plate lights with all correct washers and screws ready to go in.

VIN tag and bonnet catch riveted back onto the slam panel.

And the final job of the weekend was the drive shafts. Fully rebuilt with new CV joints and splines and powder coated shafts. Also new bolts and washers.

Back to the top
looking gooood like it lots

that alu cleaner looks good stuff

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Oil cooler next. Fuly stripped, cleaned, painted and plated and rebuilt.

The twin horns were next. Again fully stripped, cleaned, etc, etc.

I have had all of the braided fuel injection pipes soaking in vinegar for a few days, then cleaned wih thinners, wire brushed up and then put through the plating tank.

And the last major pieces to go on the engine.

I also managed to locate an exhaust heat shield. I have never seen one on a car before but it goes between the down pipes and steering column rubber gator.

Back to the top
Wow. Read this tread from the start. Great work mate.

Vdubs dont die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Sunroof next. I stripped and cleaned the frame and wires. Repainted the head rail and cleaned and polished the side tracks.

I painted some waxoil into the recess ansd then screwed the frame in with new screws. I also stripped and repainted the guides that lift the sunroof panel up as it slides forwards.

I then built up my freshly painted and polished sunroof panel with a new genuine rear water rail and rubber channel and a new genuine seal.

Since i completely ballsed up the last sunroof that i fitted ill take a little time over this one. Going to drop it in over the weekend.

I also removed and cleaned and repainted my pedals and then fitted new pedal rubbers.

I also fitted a new throttle cable rubber.

Back to the top
Some quality work going on mate. Carn't believe how well the gearbox turned out.

Where did you get the new throttle cable rubber from?

Back to the top
another kid from durham watchin closely!

Back to the top
Hi
Just read the thread from start to finish - good read & some good work
How easy is it to Zinq plate , do the items have to be cleaned thoroughly before the zinq plating will work , if so how do you clean the items? Im thinking about going down this route but not sure yet
Thanks
baz

Back to the top
Look fantastic mate,great attention to every detail.

Back to the top
lovely work, giving me lots of motivation, i reckon i'm at page one on mine!

if it\'s got tits or tyres it\'s gonna be trouble

Back to the top

bazmk1 said

Hi
Just read the thread from start to finish - good read & some good work
How easy is it to Zinq plate , do the items have to be cleaned thoroughly before the zinq plating will work , if so how do you clean the items? Im thinking about going down this route but not sure yet
Thanks
baz

Thanks for the positive comments chaps. Helps to keep the motivation going.  8)
The plating is very easy. I have a small shot blaster so i use that to clean up parts or a wire brush on a grinder and rusty parts left to soak in vinegar over night works a treat too. Once they are clean you just wash the parts in a solution that is provided in the kit. For small parts i mix a small amount with water and put it in a small tupperware type box with a lid. Add the parts and shake vigarousley!! For larger parts dip a sponge in the solution and scrub. Its a bit of trial and error as to how long you leave stuff in for but the results can be pretty decent. Good luck with it  :D

Back to the top

Chidz said

Some quality work going on mate. Carn't believe how well the gearbox turned out.

Where did you get the new throttle cable rubber from?

Lookers VW mate in Faverdale. The parts bods there are spot on. They happily trawl ETKA for me.
There are too many online users to list.