Skip navigation

Humble Beginnings...........

Back to the top

Humble Beginnings...........

She is alive!!!!

VID-20210808-WA0000_001.mp4

There's still some tweaks to make here and there but there is light at the end of the tunnel………finally!!

Back to the top
Great stuff :thumbs:

Back to the top
Ok so I've been having a few issues with hard starting and hot starting issues, I'd checked/changed the following:

Coolant temperature sensor
Idle stabilisation valve (ISV)
Lambda sensor
Ignition coil
Starter motor (the engine cooked 2 cheap starters - buy cheap buy twice, or in this case thrice! Lol)
Metering head / fuel distributor
Air flow sensor plate
All ground connections
Ignition switch
Fuel pressure and delivery spray pattern at the injectors (incl. Cold start valve)
Wiring to all engine sensors incl. DPR, ISV, Lambda, cold start valve, airflow sensor potentiometer, hall sender, throttle switch etc…

After finding a vacuum layout I re-routed a couple of lines and simplified everything. Also found a couple of air leaks and found there is a vacuum pipe running from the ISV to the air intake pipework that connects to the lower inlet manifold which supplies air to the air-shrouded fuel injectors (for CIS-E cars), the purpose is to help better atomize the mixture for increased power and lower emissions.

Then I checked the static timing of the engine which all timed up to TDC perfectly (cambelt side upper and lower mark's, flywheel and rotor arm within the dizzy)

Started her up and she ran but not great and wouldn't start again when hot.

I pulled the spark plugs and they were heavily covered in carbon deposits leading me to believe the engine was over fuelling.

Next step was then to check and adjust the ignition timing to 6 degrees BTDC.

So I connected a multimeter to the differential pressure regulator (DPR - manual reference VW special tool # VW 1315A/1 to do this however I could only find companies in the US that supply this cable so I made my own).
From what I've read if the 16V is getting a reading of 10-12mA, it is running too lean. If its getting a reading of 1-2mA, it's running too rich.

The average for 2.0 16V motronic is 2.5mA.

I also hooked up my timing light to help monitor rpm and adjust the ignition timing as required.

Started the engine and was running around 1000rpm (average) and 5mA (average) - I assumed this was due to cold starting so I waited for the coolant temperature sensor to kick in and tell the ECU the car was up to temperature and so reduce the RPM and current to the DPR.

After a few minutes the RPM and mA started to drop and the car started to stutter so I started to adjust the dizzy counter clockwise to increase the RPM, all the while checking the DPR mA and the flywheel marks with the timing light strobe.

After some trial and error I believe I'd adjusted the ignition timing to 6 degrees BTDC (or as near as I could!) with the average RPM sitting around 850 and DPR at 2.5mA

She now starts, idles and re-starts when hot!

I cant stress how valuable these 2 books were to me:

Haynes techbook (10220) fuel injection 1986 thru 1999

Bosch fuel injection & engine management (Bentley Publishers.com)

Also everyone's help on here with the wiring side of things, rubjonny especially!
Also information from the corrado forum.
I would also highly recommend joining "Bosch CIS Wizards" group on Facebook - there seems to be nothing those guys don't know about CIS fuelled cars!

Now to carry on with the build, get her MOT'd and on the road for this summer!!!
There are too many online users to list.