Skip navigation

Hi new guy with VW MK1 golf GLD good condition with PICS!!!

Back to the top

Hi new guy with VW MK1 golf GLD good condition with PICS!!!

brucieboy said

…seing as this is the 10th page of posts my guess is you have sorted the problem or youve bought another car lol. soz

Brucie   :mrgreen:

Bought another car NO WAY 8O 28 years with just this one and many more to go  8)

Back to the top
lol  :D  no worries buddy, always here! thought it makes sense point out what to look out for before hand. glad i could help, one day under the bonnet and i feel like (insert famous mechanic here) cant thing of one! lol, keep us posted on your progress matey! good luck!  :mrgreen:

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top

ollymalta said

brucieboy said

…seing as this is the 10th page of posts my guess is you have sorted the problem or youve bought another car lol. soz

Brucie   :mrgreen:

Bought another car NO WAY 8O 28 years with just this one and many more to go  8)

the same car for 28years! fair play to you sir!! give that man a medal, you should contact VW and let em know, it might be  a record…had it from new?

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
Yes from new, probably the only mk1 left in the world with only 1 owner  

Actually officially its 2 but I had put the car in my father's name to save on insurance when 21 :lol:

Back to the top
Some pics of the work I've been doing on the 5 speed gearbox for the car, so far dismantling has finished except for main shaft bearing which I'm having some trouble with. Hardest part so far was removing the 5th gear bolt which even with a 4ft extension bar(metal rod) gave trouble to get off 8O Cleaned and sprayed the middle section (last pic) and feeling too lazy to do the rest :lol:  

Will be changing sync rings of 1st and 4th, all sync keys, differential bearings, main bearing, all seals, clutch rod bearing and fifth gear screw. Everything else seems to be good otherwise thankfully, also reverse idler thank god 8)   So will have same gear ratios plus fifth  :D Grrr why didn't I get that option when I bought the car :banghead: Will be good to have if I decide to come for the AGM again

Gearbox Scraped of grime before opening (was all like the bottom part initially)

Top of case including selector mechanism:

Input Shaft, From bottom: 1st drive gear, Reverse, 2nd Drive Gear (all machined on shaft) 3rd and 4th (and hub) , Main bearing I can't remove :banghead:

Bare Output Shaft:

1st driven gear and hub(with reverse teeth):

Many parts including case bolts, 5th driven gear, reverse idler, and 5th selector fork:

From Left to Right 2nd, 3rd and 4th driven gears

90mm flanges and 5th drive gear assembly with hub:

Differential:

Bottom part of casing ready to be cleaned and sprayed:

Cleaned and sprayed casing (middle section):

Back to the top
Have'nt been updating this project for a while now been a bit busy with uni (mechanical engineering) sucks about the increase in fees over there :(Bit broke myself now as I got my first car (just passed the test last wednesday :D) a Golf Mk2 1.3 petrol

Since the gearbox has been put back together and running :)still have the 4 speed one just incase something happens, besides it would be crazy to throw away a gearbox in such good condition.

Been on a bit of a shopping spree today and got these, although the bonnet had a slight dent in it so will be getting it changed

Finally can get to put on those brand new tailgate badges :DHave on order some new bumpers and some doors if he's got, wonder if anyone might be interested in some vw chrome bumpers maybe i could get some if we come up to another meet

Last edit: by ollymalta

Back to the top
Long time Olly How have you been

Post some more pics off buddy

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Hi guys, It's been a while since I've updated anything on the golf :|  Since last October we've been fixing up the other side of the car that hadn't been sorted the last time round. The drivers side had been hit many years ago at the back end between the rear door and the C pillar where alot of filler was used to repair the damage :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:  There was also the typical rot around the fuel filler neck.

All doors needed replacing due to rust, the front doors were purchased from VW Classic a couple of years ago in anticipation of this job. When I purchased the doors from the website they were specified to be for (from what I know now) the series one golf. The differences in the door were different hinges and a different opening for the door lock. The hinges were easy to change by removing the pins and replacing them with the current hinges. To sort the door lock the mounting plate was cut out of some second hand doors and welded into the original doors. Upon testing the doors and slight 'adjustments' we got them to fit very well ;)It was initially expected to repair the C pillar using a number of repair panels. Due to the large ammount of repairs needed and the deformed panel due to the crash, the repair would have been a hodge podge of panels and this would always be on my conscience till the end of my days :lol:  So it was decided to purchase the whole rear end panel from VW Classic including the inner arch that was also rusted badly. Unfortunately due to bad management at VW's side the parts took THREE months to be delivered to their OWN country in germany :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:and just 5 days down to Malta using a Maltese freight service.

Anyways, below find the pictures of the project so far enjoy ;):thumbs:

Back to the top
Pics Continued

Another piece for the GTI project  :)

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

Back to the top
Pics Continued 3

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

Back to the top
Pics Continued 4

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

Last edit: by ollymalta

Back to the top
Hey Olly, good to see you're back. Some amazing work going on here with your mk1. Any plans for revisiting England for next years AGM with the finished Golf ?

Back to the top

watson said

Hey Olly, good to see you're back. Some amazing work going on here with your mk1. Any plans for revisiting England for next years AGM with the finished Golf ?

Yes Absolutely we are thinking of coming to another AGM, that is why we are trying to finish off this project  :thumbs:

We were thinking of coming this year but due to many delays in parts and labour we couldn't make it. Hopefully when the GTI project is ready we will come up with two MK1's hehe

Back to the top
Awesome update Olly, long time no post mate.

Would be an amazing trip to the AGM from Malta if you get the car finished in time for next summer.

Hope all goes well with the rest of it mate.

Smudger  :thumbs:

Back to the top
some amazing work going into this car :wub:

Back to the top

browner01 said

some amazing work going into this car :wub:

Thanks, alot of time and effort has been put into the golf :thumbs:

Back to the top
keep it up pal :)

Back to the top
Hi guys, thanks for all the encouragement. Here are some more pictures on the project.

We were welding up a patch on the drivers side rear beam mount when we discovered the rot in the passeger side arch, which was just creeping through the underseal. Investigating further it was found to be worse than expected and involved more than just a few patches due to the many overlapping panels in that area. You can see how we went around sorting it out.

Also had to form the bumper clip hole in the original panel, which was conveniently marked out with two punch marks, and the arch molding holes on the inner arch panel.

Back to the top
Nice welding skills dude :)  :thumbs:

Back to the top
some great restoration work going on here, good job  :thumbs:

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.