Back to the top

Golf Gti -1979

Quality work mate.... Where are u doing this

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

brucieboy said

anyone else really liking that mayy honey yellow as an actual colour for a mk1? with loads of chrome!!!!!!

Hehe, yes if it wasnt a primer, it might be a good idea to paint the whole car whit it, perhaps it would be cool! :)

walt said

Wow.. Well done indeed.. You really have turned that car around.. How much has it cost so far?..  :D

Yes it will be better now then it was before anyway :) I dont know what it have cost, I will count when the car are done!.. maybe! :)

allana13 said

Quality work mate…. Where are u doing this

Thanks! :) I do it in my own garage, here in Hofors / Sweden.

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
Well, it's been a while since I update now! … with pictures and so anyway ..
Starting to feel a little sad when summer is approaching and I know that the car will be in the garage all year! :(

But Anyway, I have figured a lot of what the main goal for the car is, ..
Mostly to get a small target line through the building so im not aiming for the stars and lands among the spruce tops! ..
So I felt that a reasonable guideline was needed!
And the absolute first thing I thought of is that I want to use the car as as much as possible!
And maybe even drive a little bit on track with it!? :)
So there will definitely not end up as a show car, and also no original renovation as it will go on the track sometimes! :)
Instead I will simply make it a bit more enjoyable and have some fun in it without having too much of either one or the other!
And keep it all at a reasonable level! It should be fun and the car will be used as a car, simply and clear! :)

And with the decision taken, I have also decided to paint the car myself, because function will go before finsh! :D

I have put on some body kit under the car and sanded down the epoxy primer a bit before coating.

And then some x number of layers "Tiefschwarz".. as the rest of the car also will be painted in
! :)

It may not look so damn attractive out but its under the car so this will do! :)

So now is the bottom good enough anyways! :)

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
I am loving this build - well done man. great work !

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Thaks man! i appreciate that! :)

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
And it has also happened a bit with the doors now as well so it goes slowly forward
! :)

And some epoxyprimer.

And some after some sanding on the epoxy it became a bit of filler on it to!

And it was probably a bit too hot when I painted it because orange peel came as a letter in the mail!
And maybe I also would have had a few more tablespoons of thinner than recommended…
But it resolves itself with some wet sand and polishing when it has hardened properly:)

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
Well, now I flipped up the body for the last time hopefully! :)
And I started whit some epoxyprimer where needs exist.

And so it was time to start the sanding…
And I've mentioned before that I dont have such high demands on the paint when the car is supposed to be used and not go for some shows!
However, its not so funny when nothing is straight on the car and it was housed in one hell of a lot of litle bumps and other paths here and there around the car…
So after a little spackle and sanding, I realized quickly that to get everything really well, I have to sand until death!!
And I dont wont to put that kind of energy on a "rowdy car" so it may simply be some imperfections on it!
But tt cant be worse than it was anyway! :) I have too see it that way! :)

Well, here are some random pictures from the grinding

And some filler! :)

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
At least you know whaty you want for your car… thats a lot further than I have gone…. keep up the great work mate, and the pics!

Are you keeping it stock standard or any 'extras' ??

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Thanks! :)
Yes I have a small red thread in the project to follow anyway, but there is not much more than that either! Hehe! :)
Yes I will change some stuff on the car to get it a bit more fun:)
I have written a little "To Do List" on the first page of the thread where I have listed everything "extra" that coming to think of to the car.

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
Well well, the last things is fixed before I can start cleaning up the car and the garage for painting! :)

I have wet sanded the entire body with 600 papers, it'll do!

And after all the grinding was done I smear on a little body putty inside the car and in the engine bay.

Looks like rust, but I've only managed to grind through to the epoxyprimer, so dont worry! :)

Then I added some body on both sills and back on the ass! Function before finishing! :)

It takes some chemical products! :)

So now it's just cleaning out the garage and clean the car properly and then starts to paint! :)

Sincerely
/Tommy

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
And now is the Golf freshly painted! :)
And heres some picture from the painting, the paint havent even dried properly yet in these pictures.

And some pictures from the day after, when it has dried.
There was a lot of orange peel because I was probably to cowardly with too much color in some places!
But Anyway, I'm satisfied in the requirements of the paint is not high and with a little wet sanding and so,
it will properly successful in the end anyway! :)

Anyways, its black again!!! :)

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
It looks very good! The engine bay looks great. very shiney.Good luck with the rebuild.

Back to the top
Awesome man

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
A little update!

I have fixed so i can yellow Chromate home in my garage!

Some pics.

Treated & untreated:

Over and out!

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
THAT IS BLOODY GORGEOUS well done keep it up

Back to the top
N3LLYB08: Thanks! :) fun to get some feedback! :)

And a little update again!
I have continued blasted, Zinc electroplating and painting stuff.
Here is a sample of some of the parts:

The spindle shaft has been sand blasted and painted!

And the complete package for the windscreen wipers has been fixed to.

And also the steering gear and the handbreak to!

And I have also bought brake calipers from a Opel Calibra 16v so that I can upgrade to 256mm front discs later!
These have been sandblasted and painted, and they will also be repacked later!

And some more parts:

Regards/
Tommy

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
Oh my that's an impressive garage and even more impressive work. What paint did you use?

Back to the top
Thanks so much! :)
For some stuff I have used smooth Hammerite and on some other parts I have spray painted with Hagmans base and top.
And to the car I used a 2k solid-color called "Tiefschwarz" from http://www.autolack.com/ and the gray base is from http://www.lackpoint.de/

/Tommy

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
Hoho!
Have been prepared some more parts!

I will use a throttle body from a 5cyl 2.3-liter Audi 100.
I have switched to golf's gas linkage, glass blasted the house and chromium all "small parts".
Here we have a little before the picture:

And an after picture:

And the advantage of using the Audi throttle body is that it measure 34/52 against the original throttle body, which measures 34/44!
Here it is next to the original house!

And some more parts.

Regards!
/Tommy

Golf 1,6 GTI 1979

Back to the top
What a transformation - very impressed.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.