Skip navigation

brad mole's mk1 golf project

Back to the top

brad mole's mk1 golf project

i know you have all been waiting for updates, but the progress is mega slow lately, im just not motivated, not long after i put the engine in the car, i noticed that the main block had started to show rust through it  :angry: and since then its just got worse and worse, which isnt a problem really, but it just annoys me that the time i spent wasnt good enough, sooo, next year when shes running, the bonent is going to be kept shut to save the embarresment lol.

maybe if i keep the car for another year after that i will take the engine out again and paint it satin black, rebuild it and maybe put it on carbs, but thats thinking too far ahead yet so for the next 6 months, my focus is going to be just to get the car running, not worrying about tidyness and detail.

the good news is, i got my logbook back after the engine change and colour change  :D

so heres some pics

brake line bits

brad moles mk1 golf progress by bradmole, on Flickr

number plates

scrappy airbox which i chopped to see how it might fit in the engine bay

alternator in

radiator in

front chopped bumper on

that nasty old thing, rust

and a nice engine bay shot to cheer me up

Back to the top
It's a real shame about the rust dude  :| It's still looking awesome though! Is it not to late to sort the rust out now before you get any further? I've been looking forward to more pics and updates so this makes me very happy 8)

Back to the top
very inspirational build mate, shame about that rust, picking up my first mk1 gti on saturday, hoping to restore it to this standard,

keep it up mate, will be watching this =)

Back to the top
crap updates but hey, thought id keep the thread going

fitted the new underlay and carpet

before

mk1 golf by bradmole, on Flickr

underlay

carpet in along with subframes cos i was bored (probably not even going to use these subframes anymore)

still loads of wiring to do

other than that theres no more updates, so a few more pics

oooo lovely

i might get a new loom made up to save me the hassle of sorting the damaged engine bay loom

Back to the top
top motor mate :) You know i love it  :mrgreen:

Wiring Loom - If your not totally up for the job pal, i can recommend John AKA Rubjohny.

I've send my loom to him as its piece of mind, i know it will be right that way. Keep up the good work matey

Back to the top
Wow, looks tidy, love the colour and the engine bay is the danglies!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
where did you get them rear lights from? im after a set for mine.

Back to the top
the rear lights are just standard ones which i have tinted myself with tinting spray from ebay

Back to the top
managed to fit the wings and side trims today, really pleased with the progress as the cars now looking alot more finished although theres still tons to do. Wings were a bitch to fit and still arent perfect but arent too bad

picturesss

Brad Moles mk1 golf progress by bradmole, on Flickr

also tried on a spare OZ wheel i had lying about, im in love and NEED a full set of these :(

thats all folks

Back to the top
Sooo love that colour  :mrgreen:  You must be well chuffed

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Brilliant build! Are they BBS ra's?
Dave

Back to the top

daveformale said

Brilliant build! Are they BBS ra's?
Dave

thanks, in the last few pics do you mean? the split rims in the last few pics are OZ wheels but im unsure of the type

Back to the top
Looking amazing! Not sure about the bumpers though.

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
I love your car more and more with every update! Crack on son, you'll be finished soon enough :)

Back to the top
That looks amazing Mr. Mole 8)  8)  8)

How did you go about getting the engine number changed on the logbook? I.e. Did you get any sort of evidence to send off with the logbook?

When I had my number changed I had to get tons of photographs and a letter from a local garage to support everything, but the DVLA say they only accept inspection reports from theAA or RAC, and neither of those do an inspection which details the engine number?! :lol: Not only that, but they're £200 odd!

Luckily they accepted my evidence anyway but I was worried they wouldn't! :(

Back to the top
thanks  8)

yeah i had the same problem mate, i filled in the v5 for colour and engine change, sent it off and recieved the letter back asking for these inspection reports and AA checks etc. got totally annoyed that so much had to be done, then after a few weeks of not doing anything i got another letter from them again saying they hadnt heard a reply from me so i re read the letter and seen at the bottom it said somethig like 'or if the conversion was carried out by a garage or before you bought the car we will accept an inspection report on headed paper stating engine size and number'

so i went to a local garage im friendly with, and they typed me up a letter stating they put the new engine in and stated the engine number and size, and also that the brakes were upgraded to suit. sent the letter off and recieved my v5 back changed, so none of this hassle with AA reports and the rest of the list they asked for lol

Back to the top

brad_mole said

so i went to a local garage im friendly with, and they typed me up a letter stating they put the new engine in and stated the engine number and size, and also that the brakes were upgraded to suit. sent the letter off and recieved my v5 back changed, so none of this hassle with AA reports and the rest of the list they asked for lol

Oh right?!  From what I had gathered from the DVLA website, you could only get a letter from a local garage stating they had changed the engine only if they had sourced the engine themselves, and provided you with a receipt for it :?

I got a letter from a garage just saying what work had been carried out and that it had been done to a satisfactory standard, and I wrote a covering letter saying that I had tried every avenue to acquire appropriate evidence to support the change, but had been unsuccessful.

I was actually like a child at christmas when I saw the A5 sized, DVLA marked brown envelope on the floor underneath my letterbox :lol:

They don't half make it hard for people to do things legally! :roll: Makes me never want to bother doing it again :lol:

Back to the top
i love teasing

and another edit of a pic with the other wheel on to keep the thread alive, no other progress except i attatched the clutch cable, first push of the clutch since i bought the car, a year ago

brad moles mk1 golf progresss by bradmole, on Flickr

Back to the top

what are these wheels? size?

Back to the top
they are 14" x 6 exim wheels, et 13ish i think, im not sure if i will keep them or sell

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.