Skip navigation

Bit Of Mirror Polishing PG39

Back to the top

My Rivage Restoration

djrussf1 said

WOW! Looks great.

Did the detail make a big difference to the paint from the way it looked fresh from the respray?

I'm contemplating getting mine done too as I'm sure it could be improved even further.

I would 100% recommend getting it detailed.

Most (if not every) bodyshop will quickly mop the car after spraying it and lets face it there pros at painting not detailing.

My paint looks MUCH better compared to what it was.

The depth in the paint is greatly improved and the sparkle now jumps out at you.

I bet if you park your car in direct sunlight you will see where they mopped it.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

Mortz said

Lookin super shinny…hope you were pleased with the paint work….you do get what you pay for :wink:

It does indeed mate.

Yeah im happy with it, even more so now its been detailed.

Have you had yours done?

Mine is back in there now having some panels repainted  :cry: should have her back next week

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top
Sounds good.

I'll have to find someone near me who can do it.

The bodyshop did mop it, but youre right…just a quick once over I think.

Do you mind me asking how much it cost? Pm would be great if possible?

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
It shouldnt cost a lot really as the paint is almost 100% anyway.

I paid £120 but prices in england are proberly higher.

You will be amazed at the difference.

Back to the top
That's a bargain!

I was expecting £400 ish.

Need to find someone…

Thanks!

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
I would expect to pay around £400 ish if the car needed a full paint correction but as they have just been sprayed then they just need refining.

Back to the top
Been putting it off a while but decided to repolish my wheels today.

Bloody hard work, shoulder is killing me  :banghead:

They had been neglected for a few months.

Only managed to do 2 of them today, will do the rest tomorrow.

Before

After

The other day I stripped the interior out to give it a full valet as it was dusty/dirty after being in the bodyshop.

Its now looking gleaming  8)

Last edit: by BigNormRivage

Back to the top
Your wheels look amazing! That's a mirror finish!

How did you do them? Machine or by hand? I assume if your shoulder is hurting, it was by hand???

Great job.  :clap:

Back to the top
Yeah all by hand mate.

Regretting it now tho lol.

I think when the bodyshop gave the car a wash they used a wheel cleaner which ruined the wheels.

Hopefully do the other 2 over the next few days.

Back to the top
Right then the Rivage is only going to be used for shows and maybe a sunny sunday here and there.

I drove it to have the roof fitted and was so paranoid about the new paint getting chipped ect I used blue low tack masking tape on the usual places that get chipped.

Am I being to fussy when I got to drive it?

Back to the top
yes mate

i understand you want to keep it mint but if you wanna enjoy it, you just need to relax alittle

the motor will be 3 inch deep in polish so i wouldn't worry

:)

Banner

Back to the top
ceri, look up some stuff, ive seen it on some cars on there way to shows , its like a blue film you can apply to the front of the car, rear arches, any area's which are prone to stone chips and then peel off when you get to a show.

I understand your thinking and i would be simmilar if i had my car repainted, but then at the same time you dont wana detract from jumping in the car and enjoying it as that whats its there for, at the end of the day a paint touch up in like 3 years time to front etc will blend and then you have enjoyed the car when you want to :-)

Just stay away from being to close to the back of vechiles in front etc and you should be fine

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Yeah I know the stuff Rich.

Made by 3M I think.

Once again its a low tack masking tape but has a rubbee texture.

Normally gets used to cover plastic trim when a car gets machine polished.

Back to the top
Is this what you meant Rich?

This is extreme tho.

The car is going to be mainly for shows.

Might be buying a mk2 for a dailey.

Last edit: by BigNormRivage

Back to the top
yep that the stuff mate.

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
I used that stuff before Rich.

Only problem is you see where the film ends.

Plus when you polish the car, the polish will darken the paint but obviously cant do anything to the film so you see the difference in colour.

I think ill go for the blue 3m tape.

Cheers for the link tho :-)

Back to the top
i thought that stuff just to get to shows but saves putting lines and lines of the smaller tape on :-)

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
Ah I see what you mean.

The film in the link is more perminant than temp.

Back to the top
Had to renew my insurance on the golf today.

I had sent them a load of photos a few days ago to show the work done and said I value it at 9k.

Spoke to the women and she was happy with that :-)

Cant remember what I paid last year but I think the premium went up about £40
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.