Skip navigation

A589 VGB (The Blue Beast)

Back to the top

A589 VGB (The Blue Beast)

Can you try and do that in sales and wants rather than on my build thread please Sturen.

Cheers.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Looks like your breaking in throgh the roof  :lol:

Back to the top
Small update.

I have picked some Recaro's up for £50. Bargain I think. I just need to sort some subframes out now.

Back to the top
I have a couple of days free so I thought I would get on with some of the boring jobs I have been putting off.

First up was removing the tar matt from inside the car.

When I got the passenger side Matt off I found where the floorpan meets the inner sill had rusted through  :banghead:.  

Then I started on the passenger side wing.

More coming tomorrow.

Back to the top

daztheoneclaw said

Looks like your local to me fella. I saw your tank at Impreziv the other week. Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything mate.  :wink:

im in durham, might enlist ya help

and you chidz!

i'm doin a 1.8 16v into 1.1

Back to the top
No worries mate.

Best advice I can give is just get stuck in and learn as you do it. I am learning myself but these conversions are common and there is lots of info out there about it. Plus the forum members are always hapy to help, it's well worth joining up.

Back to the top
Right well more work today although it took alot longer than I thought it would.

I thought since I was on with removing the underseal yesterday, I may as well carry on today. So I got cracking with the drivers wing then rubbed it down with white spirits to remove the last bits of it.

Then I decided while the suspension was off I would tidy up the turret. I had welded up the holes previously but couldn't get the grinder in while the top mount was fitted, so first I smothed the 3 welds down.

Next i welded some bolts in upside down for the top mount, witch makes the top of the turret look alot smother.

Back to the top
Good work, all that scraping is a ball ache but it needs to be done.
I got the keys to the new unit, so we'll have a lot more room to work soon.

Back to the top
As said above me and my brother have been busy moving into a bigger unit but have a few days this week to work on the Golf.

Had a couple of hours today so I got the 100mm drive shafts on.

Then I started cutting and fitting the fuel lines on the carbs.

Back to the top
Right I finally got a bit of work done on the Golf today (athough not as much as I wanted). The plan was to finish off fitting the fuel system, although all i managed to get done was to run the fuel line and fit the pump.

I wanted the fuel line hidden so I added some thin metal under the rear engine mount to hold it.

Then fitted the Facet pump.

OZ Turbo's coming soon  :D

Back to the top
Good work Chidz, Id love a set of turbos.

Back to the top
Cheers mate.

I got the OZ Turbo's for £200  :lol:

Back to the top
hi mate loving the work on the car, I noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned a servo relocation bracket, where do you get them from??

Back to the top
Cheers dude.

I am not 100% sure where to get them from but I think it's Rally Design. Hope this helps.

Back to the top
Well I picked up the OZ Turbo's tonight.

As you can see there is no lips but this doesn't matter as I want to put different size lips on anyway. Also the flat centre's don't sit flush so will have to get some new ones made up. Dispite this I am still chuffed to bit's with them as they only cost me £200. Let me know what you think.

Back to the top
Great project! 8) Some really good work going on. :D  

But I honestly think this;

Chidz said

is a bad idea. This rear gearbox mount hangs very low so unless your running it at standard ride height you'll risk pinching the line and cutting it in two eventually :dontknow: How about welding little holding tabs to the side of that mount rather than the inside the hollow. That way the line runs round the side rather than underneath? :)

Back to the top
Thanks for the input Phataz1.

I ran it underneath rather than on the side of the mount due to wanting it to be hidden. I have wondered about wether it will get caught or not and I don't think it will unless I crash. The sump sits considerably lower than the mount, and the gear box is a fair bit lower so a rock in the road should be cleared by these. A speedbump situation would mean the tyres would have to be higher than the mount for it to catch.

Has anyone run it this way before if so did you have any poblems?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Back to the top
Fair enough, I guess the big blocks do have a much deeper sump. I'm just talking from personal experience of that mount being a problem. :lol:

A speed bump would still be a problem though because that mount is behind the front wheels. So when the front wheels drop off the bump the body will be very close :? But I guess its only a problem if you're pretty low, maybe you arent planning that in which case its fine! 8)

Anyway, I'm not trying to take anything away from you, your work is really great! :D Car looks amazing, look forward to seeing it on the OZs 8)

Back to the top
Holy crap I am worried now. Yeah it's going to be running low so I am going to have to rethink this one. Thanks for your help man you have saved me a new fuel line as I havent chopped this one down yet.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.