Skip navigation

A589 VGB (The Blue Beast)

Back to the top

A589 VGB (The Blue Beast)

excellent job yer making o this project 8)

Back to the top
Trying buddy but the problem at the minute is there are not enough hours in the day  :lol: .

Back to the top
just read through the whole thread.
very nice work, lots of shiny parts going on.
keep up the good work mate.

Back to the top
Thanks mate. I am going for a show standard finish, not to win trophys just to turn heads everywhere it goes.

Back to the top
Right more work in the engine bay today. The grinder packed up so had to fork out for a new one  :banghead: .

First I got some etch primer on the area where I removed the engine mount.

Then I started on the other side of the engine bay by taking off a couple of brackets and the battery tray and etch priming it.

Next up was the tray at the top of the engine bay. I couldn't get the drill into where the spot welds were so I had to cut the tray out with the grinder to get into them.

Just need to drill the spot welds out to romove the remaining metal now.

Back to the top
Right progress has been slow lately due to being flat out at work.

I got a performance KR Clutch kit from Black Diamond witch should handle the extra power from the 9A engine.

I went to bolt the flywheel to the pressure plate but found that M6 bolts were to small and M8 were to large. I went to the VW dealers and he told me that it was an M7 thread (witch I have never heard of before) and ordered me some bolts in.

Once these turned up I got the flywheel on and the gearbox.

I am still waiting for a few little pieces before I can get the engine in, I need to modifie the metal water pipe and make a metal blanking plate for the side of the head. I am hoping to have these done this week so I can crack on  :P .

Back to the top
Mini update.

Work is still ongoing on this but it's slow work. I have been carrying on with the engine bay but I have forgotten to take some pics for some reason  :redfaced: .

Meanwhile untill I get some pics sorted, here are some pics of the metal water pipe I modifyed. I only needed the end of the water pipe to connect the pump to the oil cooler.

So I chopped off the bit I needed and welded a little plate over the end.

Back to the top
Can anyone spot what I have done wrong here?  :redfaced:

Back to the top
Cant see that pic but what are you going to do about the water egress out of the head?

Back to the top
Now mate hows tricks?

I am just going to put a blanking plate on the head where the metal water pipe went into.

Back to the top
Hi just read the whole thread.

watta build. im likeing the de-cluttered bay. any idea on how the pedal box is going to feel.
i would really like to know more are this as it seems too goot to be true…..
& where does the reservoir go??

keep us posted on this you got a really good build. im jelous.

Jaret

Back to the top
Cheers Jaret.

I am not sure how the pedal box is going to feel, but I don't think it will be as hard to press as the brakes that were on it as standard. They where a nightmare  :lol:

As for the resivoirs they can go anywhere you like, just run hose from them to the master clyinder. They have to be higher than the MC's tho. I am going to mount the two resivoirs and the screen wash bottle under the glove box lid. This is so I can check the levels and also keep them out of sight the rest of the time.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your car mate.

Back to the top
The breaks were ok on mine m8 bit funny when u get in to a normal car after drivin

2.0 16v abf on 45's

Back to the top
Yeah mine were completely shot. You had to stand on the brake pedal and even then it didn't do much  8O

Back to the top
Right update time.

As I said I have been on smothing the engine bay. So I have been busy scraping all the sealent out of the bay and removing any bits not reqired.

Next I need to get some gas for my welder and and start patching all the holes up, then seam weld some of the bay to add some strangth.

Back to the top
that engine bay is looking smooth.
i thinking of doing pretty much the same in mine.
but with an abf just cos i got one.  8)

who made that pedal box for you?
or is there some ready  made off the shelf… :dontknow:

cant wait for the next update.

Back to the top
Thanks buddy.

The pedal box is made to order by a guy called Martyn, his name on here is Addicted. He used to work for Autocavan who used to make these boxes as well as many other performance parts for Mk1's, and he has continued to make them because he believes they should still be out there.

Mine cost £308 delivered to my door, expensive but well worth it in my opinion, and you will have to allow about £200 for the master clyinders and reservoirs.

Hope this helps.

Back to the top
Right, I have been working away on the car but I have been forgetting to take regular pics, so here are some of what I have been up to recently.

First up I finished scraping of the underseal off the wing, just needs a quick wire wheel to remove the little bits left over.

Then I welded the GTI engine mount in.

Next up I started the engine mock up. I am going to fit it and get it running, then hide the wiring, then pull it all back out again  :lol: .

A few shots of sorting the wiring out.

And a few shots of the car looking very dusty and sorry for it's self.

Back to the top
Not much progress lately unfortunatly due to paying for my summer holiday.

I have picked some 100mm drive shafts up so I just have the GTI gear linkage and exhaust system to source. On that note does anyone have any pictures of differnt stainless steel manifolds fitted to there golfs? If so could you post them up? Thanks.

Back to the top

vdublew said

looking good m8 i wish i did the rear breaks on mine iv only got drums still. looks like we got the same cars diffrent colours are u keeping the bumpers off when its done mine was a 1.3 4 speed tho. do u no u got to cut that left hand mount out and re weld 1 in behind it the other way round but getting rid if the breaking stuff and using the carbs make it so tidy and sounds the nuts

iv got a rear disc conversion to sell if your interested il put up pics and price for you! stu
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.