Skip navigation

1990,1.8,karmann clipper/alpine white

Back to the top

1990,1.8,karmann clipper/alpine white

With the suspect plug removed did you crank it? If so did anything come out of the plug hole?

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

With the suspect plug removed did you crank it? If so did anything come out of the plug hole?

i didnt try it when i took it out should anything come out i can try it 2moro??

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

GOLF MKII DRIVER - ex took it

GOLF MKII GTI 16V - scrapped

JETTA MkII GTI 8V LMT EDTION

Back to the top
If it's only doing it at idle and your not losing any power, could it be your condensor? They are prone to breaking down and will give the feeling of a misfire sporadically at high revs?! Double check your plugs and leads- you could have unfortunately bought a dodgy set- it does happen, toms mk1 did this last year and it was eventually due to his 2 week old ht leads being duff- lead number1 to be precise on his one! Sorry bout the bad news bud, hey look on the bright side………….

………….it's only a cabby!! :mrgreen: lol- seriously sorry to head your having issues!

Back to the top
Don't the later carb cabs run electronic ignition? Checked the dizzy cap?

Banner

Back to the top
wasjus reading this ENGINE MISS FIRE DIAGNOSIS, i have these symptems so it def goion to garage tomoro

http://www.aa1car.com/library/misfire.htm

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
well just dropped her off at http://www.liongarage.co.uk/ so thier guna take a look see whats what, fingers crossed its nothing major so waiting for the dreaded phone call with the news

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
BAD NEWS PEEPS  :boohoo: ……just an update, they did a block compression test and it failed, they suspect the head gasket has gone, the strange thing is tho he said its stopped miss firing at the min so thier going to test it again in the morning to check it wasnt a faulty reading before diving in, this is obviously going to be an expensive repair but none the less one i feel is more than worth doing due to her condition, i'v spent to much time on her and had a fair amount of the major bits changed for new to give up….. its just not an option!! she is worth every penny of the repair jus waiting for conformation that it is the head gasket and how much im gunna be looking at :cry:

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
?30 head skim, ?20 head gasket, ?40 belts tensioners etc, few hours labour.

?250 tops

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
did you not swap num 3 plug with num 4  to check it wasnt the plugs,some garages like to tell tales about engines its all about money to them.

Back to the top
yeah i know wot you mean, i,v used them for years for my mkII's so i trust them there's only two garages i use for ither of the cars :wink:

update anyway……jus had a call from the garage this morning the car was fine its been running fine all day and hasnt skipped a beat they, i'v not lost water, oil's fine :dontknow:

wot they'v suggested is collect it and use it keep an eye on fluid levels and see if it does it again, the only thing they can think at the min is that they hav disturbed something whilst looking round the engine and its its running fine again

atleast there not just saying its something and changing it for the sake of it, they seem as baffled as me but hey  i'l pick her up and see how she goes…..fingers crossed :?

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
she's ran fine all day and then…………..

i get to the garage start her up she's fine no miss firing smoot as you like, i leave the garage get 1/4 mile down the rd and hey presto!! AAAAAHHHHH she starts miss firing :?

drove her straight back to the garage mechanic couldnt believe it, all day she's ran fine he said. his taken her back he said well atleast if she is miss firing i hav a better chance of finding the problem than when she's not, so its jus guna be another agonising day or two waiting to find out wot it could be :dontknow:  :cry:

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
further update……. just had the garage on the phone and the head gasket has gone, it must have just been going and he said today his been taking it apart and the further he get in the enging the more the signs are apparent that it has gone there is now creamy oil in the rocker, heads going off tomororow morning to be skimmed providing it hasnt cracked anywhere he said its very very rare they do crack but stranger things hav happened ,but it should be ok fingers crossed, will pop to the garage tomorow and take a look at her and get some progress pics to while im there, i'v told him to fit a new cambelt and stuff as he goes it makes sense as it will save on labour later down the rd :cry:

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
sorry to hear about your headgasket.
but, the cam belt replacement is a good idea.
peace of mind and all that.

Back to the top
hiya mate can u tell me what u did to temp gauge because everytime I go out in mine the light for it starts flashing and my dads done everything he can think of to get it fixed i.e. new thermostat, new temp sensor checked for leaks etc, and still don't know what's up with it?

Back to the top

rowan92 said

hiya mate can u tell me what u did to temp gauge because everytime I go out in mine the light for it starts flashing and my dads done everything he can think of to get it fixed i.e. new thermostat, new temp sensor checked for leaks etc, and still don't know what's up with it?

it may be worth checking something called the sender unit, when i had mine fixed i was told it was the sender and the sender housing had cracked too so they replaced that them, im not sure if its anything to do or is the the sensor you'v replaced but im assuming its not as it was called a sender and not a sensor and im also assuming its some sort of gizmo that sends the information to the warning light etc. it maybe worth checking it out if this sender is the same or is any part you may hav already replaced, im sorry i cant be of any more use than that unfortunately its my 1st mk1 too so my knowledge isnt high but any other problems dont hessitate to ask i'l help if i can, try sending a pm to FUNK-STAR he's very knowledgable he certainly knows his stuff and can get you the parts to if you need any :wink:  8)

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top

studs said

sorry to hear about your headgasket.
but, the cam belt replacement is a good idea.
peace of mind and all that.

thanks fella it'l all be worth it…….. the latest from the garage is they hav removed the head now and the head gasket has certainly gone, but they say the reason it has gone is because there is a patch of corrossion on the head by cylinder one (the one that was miss firing) which has obviously weakend the seal and caused the blow.
they are sending the head to be skimmed but have said that before skimming can be done the corroded part will have to filled with weld and then skimmed to restore the smooth suface where the corrossion has formed, will pop to the garage a bit later to take a look at her while she's stripped of the head and get a few pics too

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
cheers mate
haha I know how u feel I'm 17 and it's my first car sooo my knowledge is probably less than yours lol

Back to the top
right we hav pics…. im glad i went to look mechanic showed me everything and i'v got a much better idea of the prob and its wierd to see your engine in so many peices :P

i wouldnt no even where to beggin ha ha

anyone for a game of chess 8O

the rubber mount that you see that the carb bolts on to to fit it too the inlet manifold this has all split and cracked so this is one part that was still working but could have been giving me problems anytime soon so this has saved me problems time & money finding and doing it now

this is another problem that was effecting the engine but just about still worked so would have also caused meproblems anytime soon, it's in the inlet manifold and controls or water passes thro it but it also controls when your choke starts to release or something like that but you can see how on its last legs it was im ammazed it worked at all looking at it

she going to be decoked and cleaned from the neck up so performance and mpg should be improved and noticable according to the mechanic, with a skimmed head she will have alot more compression wont make her really faster in a sence but should make her pick up and pull a bit better
now seeing all this really makes me a bit happier to what the moneys going on it will all be worth it :wink:

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

Back to the top
I'm the same prefer to be shown whats wrong get a better understanding of the problem, hope all goes well mate

Baz

Back to the top

Bazwax said

I'm the same prefer to be shown whats wrong get a better understanding of the problem, hope all goes well mate

Baz

cheers fella :wink:

GOLF MKII GTI 8V - sold

There are too many online users to list.