Skip navigation

1983 Mk1 Driver - New rims, busted clutch and a trip back in time.....

Back to the top

1983 Mk1 Driver - Let there be light !!!

This is looking to be quite a project, You've helped decide whether I get a wolfsburg wheel for my '83 driver 8)

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

This is looking to be quite a project, You've helped decide whether I get a wolfsburg wheel for my '83 driver 8)

and what did you decide !??! :D

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
UPDATE Ahoy !!!!! From the good ship green golf… :)

Here it is at work, no doubt looking forward to its drive home.

Decided to do something about the mk1 GTI steelies that have been in the garden for about 4 years - here they are .

AND here they are after being blasted and given a quick coat of etch.

Then, buoyed with enthusiasm, I turned a lot of £££ into these…

Full set of polybushes.. :)

Decided to rebuild a spare set of GTi wishbones I had, as they've got the holes in them for the anti roll bars etc, and they're original '82 VW ones….even has the date on the right hand one!

Got those blasted and powder coated flat black.

Stuck in the polybushes and a new ball joint this afternoon while at work…..AND…

Hope to get them fitted tomorrow, along with the new rear engine mount I've managed to find, and a new thermostat, and an oil change. Busy busy boy then. :D

Back to the top
Did the seats today !!!  :)

Gearbox front polybush….

Drives much better now….  :)

Did the thermostat as well, old one was a cheap useless one and it was knackered….filled up with G12+ etc…much happier.

Can't wait to get the rest of the polybushes in ! :)

Back to the top
Righty ho, time for an update……

Sadly NOT on the car yet - hopefully weekend after next ( just in time for bug jam ! )

Also noticed I need some new front rubber, anyone got any decent suggestions ?? Not sure if I can stump up for some Pirellis again.  :( :D

Plus, I want to fit my steering rack bushes soon as well, how on earth do you get them on, do you have to cut a slot in them and fit them !?!   :dontknow:

Back to the top
there should be a slot in the rack bushes already ??

Back to the top
Yeah, just need to cut them and fit them…..

Passed MOT last sat, no advisories.  :)

Back to the top
Nice colour & good work, does the lower brace make a difference??

What doesn't kill me can only make me stronger.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
from where did you buy the strut brace any better pics of it? and bolted in place maybe i can get an idea and try to make one ? thanks a lot and well done for the great work !!

Id rather push a Volkswagen than drive a Ford

Back to the top
I got the strut brace from BBT ( i think - have trouble remembering stuff like that ! ) its just some ally tube, bent and flattened at both ends with a hole drilled in it !! Taking bets as to how long it is before I bend it... :(

Back to the top
Busy morning in the garage………parked it up with warnings of grave consequences if it misbehaved during the procedure… :D

Thankfully, everything went smoothly….so smoothly in fact I forgot to take many pics…..ahem…

Old and new wishbones, powder coated original GTi ones, polys, 80 shore A .

lower strut brace on…

and all back together…..much sharper now, also ordered an ashley exhaust manifold to treat the old thing, although worried that it might fit past the strut brace,,,,,,,hmmm,,,,,,  :D

Back to the top
Loving this thread :)

Back to the top
Just a quick update - if your mk1 doesnt have a lower strut brace - fit one. :-)

Back to the top
good thread, :D
and can vouch for the sower brace, fitted a volksport one years ago, when they first came out and i couldnt believe the difference it mad, especially cornering :twisted:

keep up the good work dude

Back to the top
I have properly enjoyed reading your project thread, any updates on the megajolt system?

Back to the top

bouchay said

I have properly enjoyed reading your project thread, any updates on the megajolt system?

And me!

Anymore news? :D

Back to the top
Thank you for the kind words chaps, have thrown myself back into the car lately due to a number of things happening to me personally - this keeps me busy ! :)

The Megajolt is temporaily on hold until I get the other engine in - HK code 1.3 with the decent cylinder head and 9.5:1 c/r .

Been thinking about a set of bike carbs, just seems a bit too " fashionable " for me ! :D

Also need to find a mk2 polo 5 speed box, any offers !?

Back to the top
A parcel arrived today !!

Whats this ??

Its my spanking new exhaust manifold… :D

Although Im not all that plussed with the paint finish on it, so , going to make sure it fits ok, strip off all the paint it came with and coat it with some PROPER thick exhaust colourage - suggestions please, need something that sticks like excrement to a blanket. :D

Back to the top
Here ya go, and NO, i wont be painting neon green or something juvinille like that.. :-D

and the finish, some nice thick VHT paint will bond very nicely to this … :)

Tomorrow - buy a new outer CV joint and fit it, paint manifold, check anti-freeze maybe fit manifold ?? hehe, need to find a centre/intermitant pipe  for the centre of the exhaust from a 1.1 mk1 - why ?? because its a straight through with no silencer……just a back box for me. :D

Back to the top

manifold

been looking for a manifold like that for ages where would i find one like it ?

golf mk1 driver project

non sunroof
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.