Skip navigation

1983 Mars Red 1.8 GTI - Change Of Shell

Back to the top

1983 Mars Red 1.8 GTI - Change Of Shell

Done a bit more tinkering this weekend, without the car being here and the engine pretty much complete i turned my attention to the extra rear beam that came with the car, its been wrapped up since god knows when so thought i'd take a peek, not a pretty sight!

But after a good wire brushing, and a couple of coats of Hammerite it came up like this, good enough i think.

Also finally got the engine timed, all i need to do now is the inlet manifold and the lump will be ready to go back in once the car is back and the engine bay is done, long way off that though!

Hope your enjoying the build as much as i am, even if it is taking up my life!!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Still no further updates on the bodywork as I haven't had time to get up there but a genuine rear panel turned up today so hopefully dropping it off tomorrow, will grab some pics then!

Done a few bits on my engine over the last couple of days. I'm really keen on having an understated dark looking engine to contrast the bright red paintwork, I like the idea rather than a blingy engine so I am still going with the Matt black look.

Few bits being sprayed up:

Rocker cover painted. I saw another thread in which some stone effect was sprayed on first to give a textured finish so thought id give it a go, think it looks ok tbh:

Pics of the inlet manifold, rocker and how the engine overall looks:

More updates coming soon!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Engine looks spot on mate.

I assume you fitted new brake internals on the beam? lol

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

Engine looks spot on mate.

I assume you fitted new brake internals on the beam? lol

Cheers mate  :D

You think i need new internals then??? Ha ha. I havent rebuilt the brakes yet i will do it when i get the shell back, cant wait!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Drop me a pm for a price on the brakes mate.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Went to drop off a new front panel today so had a look to see how the golf was getting on, although slow progress it's getting there, drivers side sill is now on…

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Still waiting for my car back so in the meantime thought i'd sort out the brakes on the rear beam i painted a couple of weeks back. There is a local company that sells all of the rear set up including hubs for £59.99 so thought i'd purchase a set and fit them this afternoon.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Seems to be very slow progress with the welding, although meant to be getting it back next week, hopefully!

Anyway although not much to show, the new front panel is on.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
I saw your car a few days ago when passing through Teynham. looks like its taking shape.

Back to the top

vwvalver said

I saw your car a few days ago when passing through Teynham. looks like its taking shape.

It's getting there mate, just feels an age since it went, wanna crack on with it now.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Went back to the garage who are welding my car today, and its good to see its nearly done so i can get it home and start on the underneath!! Just a couple of update pictures, hopefully the more appeasing stuff will happen soon…

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
nice to see a bit of progress on your car Dave ,if you are replacing the rear light panel i might be able to get hold of a NOS small light panel if your interested mate.

Back to the top

vwvalver said

nice to see a bit of progress on your car Dave ,if you are replacing the rear light panel i might be able to get hold of a NOS small light panel if your interested mate.

Hello mate.

Yeah, good to see some progress! I have bought a genuine series 2 panel now, but wanted a small light panel! How much is it going for Al?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
So i finally got the car back from being welded and as you'd expect im extremely happy as i can crack on with the resto! I completely forgot to take pictures when i first got it back and have only just taken some today, but it is now up on stands, rear beam off, all suspension off along with ARB's and lower arms etc so other then a few bits in the engine bay and the dashboard it is completed stripped ready for the clean up and build up! Have a week off this week too so providing the weather stays bright it will give me ample time to make a good start with it!

My main plan this week is to get all of the underside cleaned up, undersealed and then back as a rolling shell!

Stripping down.

All suspension off on all four corners!

Looking a bit of a mess.

And some new bits to go on, hopefully by the end of the week.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Looks good mate, keep at it!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Can I ask how much you paid for the welding.  Mine needs similar attention, so I'm wondering what is a fair price to pay.

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top

butleraw said

Can I ask how much you paid for the welding.  Mine needs similar attention, so I'm wondering what is a fair price to pay.

I paid £400, which in all honesty for the amount of welding needed was cheap, not sure if you will get it that cheap. All in all i am happy with the finished product, but being fussy there are a couple of bits i am going to play around with but for £400 he done…. Rear panel, front panel, inner and outer arches both sides, outer sills both sides and repaired the inners sills plus a load of plate repairs to the chassis etc, cant grumble and save me a huge job!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top

Joe90k said

Looks good mate, keep at it!

After reading your build thread, i will! Inspiring!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top

wannabemk1owner said

butleraw said

I paid £400, which in all honesty for the amount of welding needed was cheap, not sure if you will get it that cheap. All in all i am happy with the finished product, but being fussy there are a couple of bits i am going to play around with but for £400 he done…. Rear panel, front panel, inner and outer arches both sides, outer sills both sides and repaired the inners sills plus a load of plate repairs to the chassis etc, cant grumble and save me a huge job!

That's a pretty good price.  Did you already have all the panels?

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top

butleraw said

wannabemk1owner said

butleraw said

That's a pretty good price.  Did you already have all the panels?

Yeah i supplied the panels, the repair panels arent dear, its only when i had to change the back and front panels they became expensive.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.