Skip navigation

1983 Mars Red 1.8 GTI - Change Of Shell

Back to the top

1983 Mars Red 1.8 GTI - Change Of Shell

So the bug bites again….

After selling my MK1 early last year i have ever since regretted it and longed for another one, preferably the preferred GTI model, but after owning a MK4 GTI and a MK3 VR6 i decided to give up on the car scene to save some money, well that was until my other half bought an automatic MK1 late last year which started the bug off again.

After scouring Flea Bay for a few months looking at cheap Beetle's and MK1's to take on as a project i came across a Mars Red GTI and amazingly was only 10 minutes around the corner. The cars itself isnt too shabby, although i havent stripped it down yet it seems quite solid with only rust in the normal areas - sills and rear arch, all of which will be replaced to make a seemingly solid body. She will then get a full engine rebuild followed by fresh paint and the usual coilovers and wide wheels etc.

This isnt going to be the fastest build ever as money, weather and time all permit, but i am hoping to have the majority of it done by the end of the summer, barring paint which probably wont happen until next year now. I'll keep this thread as updated as possible!

Anyway, here she is…

Just for good measure here are my past projects…

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Nice find, and your previous cars look good too

You'll have to change your user name now :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
So finally managed to start some work on the old girl (nothing too exciting at the moment), going to hopefully go to town on her so last week decided to take out the complete interior.

This weekend i started to strip the engine down, so far got it down the the block, just need to remove the drive shafts then i can pretty much pull it out but work has stopped now for the weekend as its UltimateDUBS tomorrow! :D

Before:

After:

Took a step back and look at it today and realised how much work i have on my hands! Both rear arches, both sills, front wing, respray and engine just for starters, thats without doing all the others bits i want to do like under sealing etc. I must keep reminding myself i bought it as an ongoing project and not for it to be done in a couple of months!!!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
All to keep you busy :). I despise mk4's but man that's a sweet ride this has potential :D

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
Done a little bit more tinkering, not much progress at all really, although have the engine completely out awaiting a thorough degrease (its bad, really not looking forward to it) and then onto an engine stand to be built back up.

Also took the worst front wing off to see what was underneath, pleased to say it was only the outer wing itself that was rusted, all good in the hood underneath!!!

Tomorrow…. jet wash and remove the other wing.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Done a bit more tinkering over the last day or so.

Started stripping the block down.

Sump off.

And my ever growing collection of parts!

The block is now completely stripped down and degreased but havent got a pic of that yet, quite pleased with how its coming out though. Just ordered a new water pump too from GSF  :D.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Been playing some more over the last couple of days, completely stripped the engine back to the block and then painted it matt black.

Then started to clean and spray bits to re-assemble, also took delivery of the new water pump which looks nice against the black block.

Unfortunately wont get too much time to work on the engine now, but providing it stays warm for the weekend im going to start on repairing the sills and arches.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Done a little bit more on the engine, although not much. Re-assembled a couple of bits…

Then sprayed up a few bits…

The weather is meant to be hot this weekend so out of the shed for me and going to make a start on the bodywork!!! If i can teach myself how to weld.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Done a bit more today, finally started on the body work, barely looks like i done anything! What a cr P job!!! Anyway, removed the fuel tank and then started copping one of the old sills away only to find poor repair work underneath, i have never welded before but even my first attempt is likely to be better!! There is also alot more rust then i thought  :(

Then started to get a bit nippy on the drive so went up to the shed and sprayed a couple of bits up to put on the block, looking smart even if i say so myself!!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
hay are you the guy i was talking to at carbon motive in sittingbourne last month ?

Back to the top
Yeah this is Dave, Al. As seen in the Swale hearing adverts!! :wink:  :lol:
Looking good Dave, how's your finger? And was that head o.k?

Back to the top
I NEVER NEW HE WAS A FILM STAR  :wink:

Back to the top

vwvalver said

hay are you the guy i was talking to at carbon motive in sittingbourne last month ?

Hey mate, just seen this, havent been on here for a few weeks as i have been building a pub cabin in the garden! But yes its me, the face of Swale Heating! Ha ha  :redfaced:

79-85 said

Yeah this is Dave, Al. As seen in the Swale hearing adverts!! :wink:  :lol:
Looking good Dave, how's your finger? And was that head o.k?

Cheers Simon, havent done much lately though, but putting the head on today. Finger is all ok, nice big scar and very sensitive but thankfully didnt fall off! Head is top draw mate ta, just posted on your thread re the engine mount.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
No worries mate. Have a look next time your over!

Back to the top
Havent worked on the Golf over the last few weeks, mainly because of the weather here in the South East, its been impossible to get outside to work, but my theory is that it will lead to an amazingly hot summer! But i have also been out in the garden building our pub shed - 'Guzzledown Lodge', which is to be equipped with bar etc for summer parties!

Anyway, i managed to get up the shed yesterday as the weather is still poor and re-assembled the head to the block, engine is looking pretty nice now if i do say so myself, just a shame i dont have a car to put it in!! I have also bit the bullet and decided there is too much welding for it to be done on my drive, so 79-85's brother is going to weld it up at his workshop for me, at least we may get some exciting progress made!!!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Engine looks stunning Dave, and il keep a watchful eye over my brothers welding for you, just to make sure it's spot a bollock on;)

Back to the top
So the MK1 went off for welding last Friday, and with the engine pretty much back together there hasn't been much for me to get on with, although I have done a couple of bits, mainly I have put the cam in which is a shrick cam bought from 79-85.

Also resprayed the alternator, I done it all silver to start but decided it was too much so done the pulley black to break it up a bit.

Before:

After:

And lastly, an overview how the engine currently looks.

I am hopefully going to get up to see my welder at some point so will get some snaps and but them up on here!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Went up to see the car today as the bodywork is underway, no massive progress at the moment but a few things have been done, must say it is looking ok, I'm happy with the progress so far, just can't wait for it to be a solid car again!

Drivers side floor pan before:

After:

A couple of the drivers side inner wing, no before and after unfortunately:

And lastly just one of the inner sill being repaired:

Anyone who needs any welding done in the Kent area just let me know, good job and very good rates.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
WELL DONE DAVE AT THIS RATE THERE MAY BE A FEW MK1,s  ROAMING THE STREETS OF KENT AGAIN COME THE END OF THE YEAR  :D

Back to the top

vwvalver said

WELL DONE DAVE AT THIS RATE THERE MAY BE A FEW MK1,s  ROAMING THE STREETS OF KENT AGAIN COME THE END OF THE YEAR  :D

Cheers mate, would love to see it done by the end of summer but just cant see it happening.

Hows yours coming along?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.