Skip navigation

1983 1.1 5dr c formel E in selvas green now with 1300 power!

Back to the top

1983 1.1 5dr c formel E in selvas green now with 1300 power!

Well finally got me car on friday night and immediately started tinkering!!

Had to sort the front washers as the pipe was a bodge. Thieved a bit off a nova my mates breaking.  Also needed to spray a bit of wd40 into the dashlight dimmer coz as usual it was playing silly sods. Either headlights on and a dim dash or bright dash and no headlights… quick squirt and all was well.

So got up yesterday and set to a bit of tarting up.

this was how it looked as i brought it home. not the best pic to show it but it's arty and i like it lol

Cambelt cover, camcover and the fan shroud were all rusty as, so they came off for a quick clean, a coat of zinc-passivate rust treatment and a squirt of gloss black. also fixed a few wiring issues, and traced my intermittent mpg gauge to a crimped vacuum hose.

then fitted the 6x9's into the custom plywood shelf it came with!  Damn good infinty referance jobbies too. when I stopped at my mates (another long term dubber!) to show him the goof, he ran upstairs and handed me them coz he has no intention of butchering the shelf in his shiny mk5.5 polo to fit 'em!

they actually really suit the car.

also replaced the broken headlight trim with a pair i had left over from my previous cabby which have the chrome trim (painted red, but it's flaking off thankfully), so now i'm on the scrounge for a pair of top and bottom chrome trims for the rest of the grill.

will get some better shots of the actual car tomorrow at the lincoln vdub meet.

Jon.

Back to the top
Looks like a good project.

Marc

Back to the top
looking good mate

hello!

Back to the top

hope these wet the appetite lol

Jon.

Back to the top
looks good mate, like the shopping list  :D

Baz

Back to the top
Awesome :D loving the colour and the shopping list! lol  :mrgreen:

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
that shopping list just made me nearly spit my tea out lol.
thats awesome lol.
very nice looking base car, what plans you got for it in the future?

Back to the top
Not a lot to be honest. Coilies to fix the nasty cut springs, chrome trim for the grill and swages/sills.

and then probably a full respray later in the year if i can wangle some space in my mates dad's garage!

The shopping list is pending editing, as it isn't quite accurate. will eventually read;

bread
bacon
cake
milk
tetley

Don't drink pgtips lol

Jon.

Back to the top
No biscuits? A nice custard cream would go well with that tea.

Cool car by the way, saw it at VW action this year

Back to the top
Yup, was at action. has the sticker to prove it. Thankfully not with the rusty bonnet. love my rat look but don't think it worked too well with the colour!

Jon.

Back to the top
Done a few bits today. I wrestled the nipples free outta my polo 3 calipers the other day, upon measuring them turns out the carriers are gti width! so are most late vw2 callipers aparently!

so on they went today with the new pads. once they've worn in a tad I'll stick vented discs on.

also, fabbed an exhaust up! will get pics tomoz once it's finished but i'm sure you'll all like! very in keeping. bit louder than I wanted but it does suit the car to a "t"

gonna time it up and give it a good service tomorrow and it should be good for a few thousand!

Jon.

Back to the top
loving the shopping list down the side, the thought came to me the other day thinking it'd be funny as i hadn't seen it before and after seeing a completely standard pug 306 with 1 down the side, "jap style" or whatever the hell it is, the other day.

Back to the top
Youtube 'vw action 2009 mrk1 crash' no way to treat a mk1.  Guessing it was before you bought the car.

Back to the top
Finshed it off today and got some decent pics, so here they are!

on the ramps with the exhuast off!

think it needs a wheel tub…

The link pipe cleaned up and given a coat of stove black!

The lesser spotted grinder-moron (aka my mate Skippy) cleaning up the centre pipe welds. It was made out of 3 bits of pipe with very leaky joins. so we welded it into one to save on joints.

All finished!

New backbox! bit of a hybrid tbf. scrap steel, a sierra 4x4 resonator box as the silencer and a stainless tip made from a motorcycle link pipe! I recon it looks almost factory made! Damn I'm good!

A quick shot of it fitted to the car. it's actually on a bit tight and touches the floor pan a littl so it does need minor adjusting. but that may have to wait until i've got a new flexe for the front as its shagged!

Looks tidy doesn't it?

So all in all a productive couple of days!

Jon.

Back to the top

How retro?

and cost me nowt lol.

a mate of mine just bought an audi 80tdi, came with this early eighties audioline sat in the back!!!

Perfect for the golf. don't sound to bad! could do with dolby on it but it's not the end of the world!

Jon.

Back to the top
SO this morning my new tail light (curtousy of mk1afc) arrived and spured into a frenzy!!!!

took the lights off and transferred the sealing strip over. then decided to tackle the rust whilst they were off!!!

Off came the plate (with my eyes shut coz I know what normally lurks behind vw number plates…) to find a bit of surface grot and thats it!!!!

with a smack from the grinder it became…

Not bad i have to say!!!! was expecting it to become gaping holes!!!

also had a bash at the dent under the n/s light, which has come out enough for me to just fill it!

number plate lights aren't good though.  o/s has just disintegrated and the n/s's screws have no head, just a rusty lump… so the bulb in that one is probably as old as the car!!!!  above the o/s light fitting was this

I shall have to get 2 new lights and set about fabricating a repair panel to stuff in there!

Then off came the bumper so I could blow it over with some filler primer.

Well, I started to blow it over and then my spraygun decided to refuse to draw any paint up, no matter how much i cleaned it… was not impressed.

So I had to brush the primer on. I actually think it's worked better, as the coat is thicker so i have more to rub down and smooth out. it's completely hidden the rust scars!!

I didn't manage to get any pics of it done as I had to dash out for an appointment!!  Will get some tomorrow.

Jon.

Back to the top
Good progress. The exhaust looks pretty cool 8)

Back to the top
Excellent stuff. I agree, that exhaust is quality! Ace stereo too. Yeah, those rear number plate lamps can be a bugger for rotting away, along with the dreaded spare wheel well. Glad to see the old beast's now getting some tlc!

Back to the top
cheers, the exhaust just goes to show what you can do with a welder and a garden full of crap lmao

sounds lovely. will be better once i've fixed the flexi and stopped it clacking off the floorpan.

cheers for the comments!!!

Jon.

Back to the top
went out this afternoon to have  butchers at me intermitant brake light only to find it's solved itself???? lol ah well.

So i checked me oil and in the process of doing that noticed that me fuel return hose had been dribbling gently due to a lack of a hose clip!!!  So on went a new bit of hose and no more leak!

soaked my oil pressure sensor in a bit of carb cleaner to in the hope of eleiviating the occasional buzzing it causes!!!

So i'm hoping it may be a bit more economical. can imagine it was squirting a fair bit of fuel out at high rpm lol

Jon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.