Skip navigation

ICE build help pl

Back to the top
May I ask Craig are you a mechanic by trade? You have fantastic skills and you know your way around cars!! Have you fitted your rear speakers as yet? Keen to see what you think of it : )

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

May I ask Craig are you a mechanic by trade? You have fantastic skills and you know your way around cars!! Have you fitted your rear speakers as yet? Keen to see what you think of it : )

No on the speaker mate need to Mack some MDF holders for them i think it will be my next job maybe.
And im not a mechanic .
im a hair dresser  me nad my wife have are own salon.
but my dad was an engineer so must be in my DNA maybe.lol now i bet that shocked you most people i meet in live think im a builder  :lol:

Back to the top

scrag said

CraigSherriff said

No on the speaker mate need to Mack some MDF holders for them i think it will be my next job maybe.
And im not a mechanic .
but my dad was an engineer so must be in my DNA maybe.lol now i bet that shocked you most people i meet in live think im a builder  :lol:

I was shocked to hear that to be fair, the way you seem to know your way round the car & electrics is second to none!!

Can you post your pictures up of your speaker holders if you make them? I thought though that you can still secure the 10cm by rotating them on an angle and using only a couple of the stock holes to secure to?? Sure I copied a picture of this to your thread??

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

scrag said

CraigSherriff said

And im not a mechanic .

I was shocked to hear that to be fair, the way you seem to know your way round the car & electrics is second to none!!

Can you post your pictures up of your speaker holders if you make them? I thought though that you can still secure the 10cm by rotating them on an angle and using only a couple of the stock holes to secure to?? Sure I copied a picture of this to your thread??

yes i will its the tweeter that's the problem it sites high
So hits the card when fitted so the mdf is to offset the hole unit back you see :cool:   

Back to the top
Really? How deep are the speakers?? Making me worried now because I want 10cm speakers to!!

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Really? How deep are the speakers?? Making me worried now because I want 10cm speakers to!!

Here you go then

only thing is window hits just so a bit of tweaking needed and a bit of paint.  :ninja:

Back to the top
Craig thanks for the nice words on my skills thank you.
take a look at my build
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Fprojet-tank
and this one is better than mine its my mates and he has OCD im sure :offtopic:  :offtopic:  :thumbs:
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19827

Back to the top
Ok  all does anyone have the rear metal mounts for the speakers  so i can save some time so i don`t have two build my own out of sheet metal please.
MDF is just to thick .im off to ebay now but please any one please save me some time .:ocf_emoticons__BangHead:

Back to the top
Just a thought with your speakers in the rear, there should be a plastic membrane behind the speaker and then just behind the door card which stops the water coming into the car when it drains down the window.
Wont MDF swell up if it gets wet?
You can see the membrane behind my spearkers and how I fitted my 10cm speakers.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Just a thought with your speakers in the rear, there should be a plastic membrane behind the speaker and then just behind the door card which stops the water coming into the car when it drains down the window.

Yes i was going to do my own membrane and thank you for pointing   that out but. I just cant  get the infinity 4032cf to fit. but its so close .

Back to the top
Craig,

I'd still be inclined to fit yours the way mark1gls has fitted his just using 2 of the securing mounts. As the stock bracket is for 8cm speakers I don't think your 10's would fit them anyway??

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Craig,

I'd still be inclined to fit yours the way mark1gls has fitted his just using 2 of the securing mounts. As the stock bracket is for 8cm speakers I don't think your 10's would fit them anyway??

Yes mate i was going two open up the hole to 10 Cm and go from there. After messing around last night i don't think they are going to fit. if i fit them like mark1gls
the card/trim touches the tweeter which bends the card.Also the window hit the magnet when winding down and the magnet is so strong even if i put a small
gap at the back two screws would not hold speaker there for long as soon as window comes down that is.
So i think i have two options
1 fit and don`t use windows LOL
2 get some smaller speakers
So with that any other speaker you could recommend please that will go with my amp.chears :cool:

Back to the top
This is bad news !! : (

Infinity don't supply 8cm Speakers….

I would probably look towards something like JL Audio, Hertz in the 8cm range.

Is it just the tweeter that's causing the problem?? Would a slim profile 10cm speaker do the trick?

This is what I want, but you've got me thinking it won't fit : (

http://caraudiosecurity.com/ic100-10cm-speakers

Back to the top

scrag said

mark1gls said

Yes i was going to do my own membrane and thank you for pointing   that out but. I just cant  get the infinity 4032cf to fit. but its so close .

Mark - Don't suppose you know your model / brand of speaker so I can x-reference mounting depth and dimensions etc…?

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Is it just the tweeter that's causing the problem?? Would a slim profile 10cm speaker do the trick?

Yes mate its the tweeter not the 10 cm its depth.
its because i want windows to work as they should .
i might have a look again later and ill try and get a pic up to cheers .

Back to the top

scrag said

CraigSherriff said

Yes mate its the tweeter not the 10 cm its depth.
its because i want windows to work as they should .
i might have a look again later and ill try and get a pic up to cheers .

here you go this is the speaker holding it self buy its magnet on window mechanism

and

Back to the top
and this may help

Back to the top
Thats one deep speaker!

Just checked my cheap ones and their depth is 1.7" which is about 4.3cm I think? A big difference compared to yours, but my tweeter sits flush with the outer point of the speaker.

According to the website your speaker has a mounting depth of under 5cm, but they failed to mention the tweeter part of it all!

What you thinking is best here??

Back to the top

scrag said

and this may help

Put a different unit in but which one :ocf_emoticons__dontknow: you got any ideas

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Thats one deep speaker!

Just checked my cheap ones and their depth is 1.7" which is about 4.3cm I think? A big difference compared to yours, but my tweeter sits flush with the outer point of the speaker.

According to the website your speaker has a mounting depth of under 5cm, but they failed to mention the tweeter part of it all!

What you thinking is best here??

New speaker maybe but which ones  :ocf_emoticons__dontknow:  you got any ideas .
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.