Skip navigation

1987 Cabby speaker sizes

Back to the top
hi looking to treat my cabby to a new set of speakers for the new year but im not sure on what my options are in terms of what'll fit in the back and the front?
anyone able to help me out?
Thanks James

Back to the top
off the top of my head fronts are 13cm and backs 6x4's….. i think

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
If there like 6x9 on front but smaller there 6x4s 
Jbls fit 

Back to the top
Backs are 6x4s

Back to the top

Jamesb2492 said

hi looking to treat my cabby to a new set of speakers for the new year but im not sure on what my options are in terms of what'll fit in the back and the front?
anyone able to help me out?
Thanks James

My rear only has 8cm speakers. Think they swapped to 6 x 4 after a certain year, not entirely sure when though.

6 x 4's in the front, not all fit as a straight fit all snug like the factory ones! I have infinity ones but they needed "Adjusting" so to speak  :thumbs:

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
Think all th front 6x4 have to be tweaked to fit 

My rears are 6x4 on an 88 plate mine sit behind the door cards on a cabrio

Back to the top
Hmmm, confused now bugs' mine's a 1990 model and here's my rears…

And the speaker…

Back to the top
Maybe mine had been changed before I had it then yours are mounted in a propper plate so maybe yours is standard then 

Back to the top

bugs-gti said

Maybe mine had been changed before I had it then yours are mounted in a propper plate so maybe yours is standard then 

Dont suppose you have a picture of yours bugs? I don't really want the 8cm in the back as you are limited on what you an get from them and the better brands don't make speakers that small either : (

Back to the top
right so general answers are 13cm for the front and 4x6s in the rear
thanks guys

Back to the top
I've move them now as the rear doorcards had been re trimmed in leather and didn't have the air holes 

Back to the top

bugs-gti said

I've move them now as the rear doorcards had been re trimmed in leather and didn't have the air holes 

Fair one mate, if you ever do happen to have your rear panel off - Drop me a picture of your set up, I'm keen to see how they fit  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hello Craigsherriff I had the same problem as you with my rear speaker, old and ripped like yours and the same size I did buy some sony speakers to replace them which was slightly bigger and I think I got rid of the oringinal bracket which held the speakers in, it was about 10 years ago I changed them so can't remember the size and what I did so I'll try a get a picture and info for you over the weekend. :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I have these in the front of my 1988 cabriolet,
SXE-4625S 150W 6" x 4" 2-way speakers

they fit in the door pockets like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-CABRIO-CADDY-MK1-JETTA-MK1-FRONT-DOOR-SPEAKER-PODS-POCKETS-/390587856259?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item5af0d9b583

Later cabriolet have larger door pockets and speakers and sometimes they are fitted to older cars.
Like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-CABRIO-LATE-TYPE-FRONT-DOOR-SPEAKER-PODS-/390704915193?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item5af7d3e2f9

So it really depends an whats fitted to your car and what size speakers you need….

As for the rears I'll try and look over the weekend as mentioned in my last post.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Hello Craigsherriff I had the same problem as you with my rear speaker, old and ripped like yours and the same size I did buy some sony speakers to replace them which was slightly bigger and I think I got rid of the oringinal bracket which held the speakers in, it was about 10 years ago I changed them so can't remember the size and what I did so I'll try a get a picture and info for you over the weekend. :thumbs:

Much appreciated mate, I bought a cheap pair to trial fit into original bracket in the rear - Picture below;

& here are my fronts… Infinity 6 x 4's (Needed a little adjusting to fit them in!)

Back to the top

mark1gls said

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-CABRIO-CADDY-MK1-JETTA-MK1-FRONT-DOOR-SPEAKER-PODS-POCKETS-/390587856259?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item5af0d9b583

Later cabriolet have larger door pockets and speakers and sometimes they are fitted to older cars.
Like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-CABRIO-LATE-TYPE-FRONT-DOOR-SPEAKER-PODS-/390704915193?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item5af7d3e2f9

So it really depends an whats fitted to your car and what size speakers you need….

As for the rears I'll try and look over the weekend as mentioned in my last post.

mark1gls said

Like this.

I have the long straight pods for the fronts, so to have similar 6 x 4's - I do want the other pods but they are very expensive!! Keep me posted on the rears though mate. If they fit 10cm speakers that would be great because I have a brand in mine that does 10cm speakers that I want!! Cheers.

Back to the top
Hi mark1gls - Just wondering if you managed to get chance to have a quick look at your rear speakers? :thumbs:

Back to the top
Sorry I did not have chance, the weather was not good in Somerset……. I'll try again this week for you.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Sorry I did not have chance, the weather was not good in Somerset……. I'll try again this week for you.

Thank you kindly mate  :thumbs:

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Hey mate, (as if you've not already helped me enough this week) - I know the weather has still been awful, but, is this one still on your radar mate? Really want to get the bigger speakers but don't want to waste the money  :(

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.