Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf Cabby 1979 1.4 GLS 20v Converstion

Back to the top
I have Just Bought
a Vw Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.4 gls reg 83
a AUM vw 1.8t 20v engine with gearbox, turbo still has ac on and a few auxiliaries, oil cooler, air box

can somebody give me a list of parts to buy to get the engine in (sizes or links would be gold)
Im guessing:

• Engine & Gearbox Mounts - Vw mk1 golf 1.8t 20vt 02a gearbox & engine mounts £100)
  • Clutch bracket - mk1 golf 02a & 02j clutch cable bracket £39.95)
  • Gear linkage - vw 02a 02j 02m mk1 golf rod gear linkage £95
  • mk2 gti rad - Mk1/2 Golf 1.6 8v & 1.8 16v radiator 430mm wide by 322mm £34.99)
  • ecu and loom (was thinking megasquirt 2 microsquirt v3  eco  and loom £324.99)
  • throttle cable from Mk2 1.3
  • speedo converter - vw golf mk1  sum/auq tacho adaptor, rev counter conversation £49.95)
  • 02a gearbox - so if i use the 1.8t gearbox and clutch with the driveshaft conversions?
  • Driveshaft Conversions vw 02j 100mm 1.8t gearbox cup conversion mk1 mk2 mk3 gti golf 20vt flanges pair £87.99_
  • manifold & exhaust
now if i bought all that stuff above and took the old engine and gearbox out new mounts in all parts bought engine gearbox etc assembled after a major service what else do i need and help, advise links greatly appreciated

Picture of engine

Last edit: by MatieusCab83

Back to the top
Don't think you have mentioned the inter cooler and associated pipe work. Also think if going cable clutch you need the seat? actuator/ thingy that replaces the hydraulic slave cyl and accepts the end of the clutch cable.

Last edit: by abfmk1

Back to the top
What about your fuel system? Dont know what the 1.4 gls has as stock but would imagine you will need to uprate the fueltank and pump/pumps.  On my 1300 conversion i had to add a facet redtop lift pump under the car, a 1 litre swirl pot and bosch 044 under the bonnet.  Im im sure there is a stock vw alternative though.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Don't think you have mentioned the inter cooler and associated pipe work. Also think if going cable clutch you need the seat? actuator/ thingy that replaces the hydraulic slave cyl and accepts the end of the clutch cable.

adz25 said

What about your fuel system? Dont know what the 1.4 gls has as stock but would imagine you will need to uprate the fueltank and pump/pumps.  On my 1300 conversion i had to add a facet redtop lift pump under the car, a 1 litre swirl pot and bosch 044 under the bonnet.  Im im sure there is a stock vw alternative though.

I don't know which is the best way to go, the bits I have prices next to is what I have figured I want and am in the process of buying the rest im looking for advise links feedback etc

Back to the top
Do you have the standard loom and ECU?  I would stick with OEM if possible, VW will have spent a boatload on R&D for the  ME7 ecus and will work better than aftermarket.  You need an immo delete (I can do this) and wiring loom modification to get it to work but it will be cheaper than megasquirt and comes with its own diagnostics built in.  The secondary air, post cat lambda and n80 can be deleted out so the ecu ignores them if they are missing, i presume you will not be using them, i wouldn't be.  If you are using the OEM you will need to use the electronic pedal, if you go megasquirt you will need a cable throttle body.

You will also need a suitable intercooler and all the pipework to go with it, landrover td5 ones fit nicely in front of the rad on a mk1 or there are plenty of aftermarket alloy ones on ebay fairly cheap, just measure the space you have and buy on to suit.  The pipework is a bit of a case of drop it all in and then see what you need and order from somewhere like autosiliconehoses.

Clutch, personally I would go hydro clutch as it's a lot nicer to use then the cable conversion, bit of modification needed to the pedal box to fit one, but not too bad, buy a 0.75" integral m/c from rally design, make a bracket to fit it to the pedal box, depends how good your engineering skills are, or there are some people doing them as kits now where you send of your pedal box and it comes back ready to use.  Then its just a case of fitting the relevant pipework.

Rad, you can stick with the mk1 gti rad but the fan causes problems so use a spal or similar slimline fan on the radiator, pipework will need to modified, think its 34mm id, you need 4 90 bends and some straight joining pieces, can't remember the length of these, I just buy a length of pipe and cut to fit.

Fuel supply wise, either buy a gti tank and just run a decent fuel pump, sytec OTP044 or bosch 044 will be fine, if you stick with your original tank I would advise running a swirl pot to prevent any fuel starvation issues, so supply pump to swirl pot and then main pump as above from swirl pot.

Exhaust wise there are a few different downpipes or again depending on your engineering abilities make one by using a 2.5" 90 bend mating it to the original downpipe from the mk4 and adding a flexy piece into it.

Hope this helps a bit,
Bob

'81 1.8T
BMW R1200GSA
Caddy 2k 1.8T

Back to the top

mrpurple said

Do you have the standard loom and ECU?  I would stick with OEM if possible, VW will have spent a boatload on R&D for the  ME7 ecus and will work better than aftermarket.  You need an immo delete (I can do this) and wiring loom modification to get it to work but it will be cheaper than megasquirt and comes with its own diagnostics built in.  The secondary air, post cat lambda and n80 can be deleted out so the ecu ignores them if they are missing, i presume you will not be using them, i wouldn't be.  If you are using the OEM you will need to use the electronic pedal, if you go megasquirt you will need a cable throttle body.

You will also need a suitable intercooler and all the pipework to go with it, landrover td5 ones fit nicely in front of the rad on a mk1 or there are plenty of aftermarket alloy ones on ebay fairly cheap, just measure the space you have and buy on to suit.  The pipework is a bit of a case of drop it all in and then see what you need and order from somewhere like autosiliconehoses.

Clutch, personally I would go hydro clutch as it's a lot nicer to use then the cable conversion, bit of modification needed to the pedal box to fit one, but not too bad, buy a 0.75" integral m/c from rally design, make a bracket to fit it to the pedal box, depends how good your engineering skills are, or there are some people doing them as kits now where you send of your pedal box and it comes back ready to use.  Then its just a case of fitting the relevant pipework.

Rad, you can stick with the mk1 gti rad but the fan causes problems so use a spal or similar slimline fan on the radiator, pipework will need to modified, think its 34mm id, you need 4 90 bends and some straight joining pieces, can't remember the length of these, I just buy a length of pipe and cut to fit.

Fuel supply wise, either buy a gti tank and just run a decent fuel pump, sytec OTP044 or bosch 044 will be fine, if you stick with your original tank I would advise running a swirl pot to prevent any fuel starvation issues, so supply pump to swirl pot and then main pump as above from swirl pot.

Exhaust wise there are a few different downpipes or again depending on your engineering abilities make one by using a 2.5" 90 bend mating it to the original downpipe from the mk4 and adding a flexy piece into it.

Hope this helps a bit,
Bob

cheers bob loads of feedback…many thanks! everything has been taken on board.

defo hydro clutch
already got OEM ecu and loom :)
year ill get the rad and intercooler last with pipe work
thinking mk1 gti fuel tank with 004 fuel pump and swirl pot
exhaust just gonna see what i can get when it gets to that stage!

to be really honest the loom and ecu are making my bum hole twitch!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.