Skip navigation

Abf pointers needed 020 gearbox.

Back to the top

Evening people,

Im half way through an abf conversion and am in need of some pointers..

1. Which way does the water flow? Need to plumb in heater matrix.

2. Im using the original rigid fuel lines, which line goes to which hose from the abf?

3. Will a shorter flexable vacuum line be ok for the brake servo?

4. Do i need a t-piece to plumb in the vacuum line from speedo or will it be ok on the throttle body?

5. Hows best to route clutch and speedo cables? (preferably out of the way)

6. Which throttle cable do i need?  

Thanks in advance :)

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
1. out from head, int to metal pipe. matrix itself can be plumbed either way but the factory way is head outlet to the passenger side inlet, driver side inlet to metal pipe (so the pipes arnt crossed)

2. feed from fuel pump and filter needs to go to the inlet on the rail, outlet from rail to return back to fuel tank. it has arrows on the fuel rail so you cant go wrong there ;)

3. will be fine, just check the hose doesn't collapse once car is started

4. fit a mk1/2/3 non-return valve, it has 2 nipples on it. 1 to clocks, the other to the ecu if its an early abf. if its a late abf the nipple on the rear of the inlet goes to the ecu. the 2 vac ports on the throttle body need blocking.

5. speedo i route along the bulkhead out of the way. I also fitted a mk2 16v heat shield to mine which covers this a bit. clutch needs to go round the front of the inlet same as the factory cable. I used a MK2 gofl clutch cable steady arm on it to help keep it neat along with clips in strategic locations pinched off various cars in scrappy. KLR engine but abf basically same:

6. mk2 gti 8v or 16v

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Spot on cheers John 😬

I have this none return valve and t-peice from the mk3 although i cant work out which way it needs to go, should i be able to blow through one way? It seems blocked both sides.

Any idea which way it needs to go and im guessing i need to stop vacuum going back into the inlet? 

Cheers :)

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
donno what that is but you dont need it!

when I say non-return valve i mean the fat yellow one thats inline with the brake servo hose :)

edit: arrow needs to point at tyhe brake servo, otherwise you wont have any servo assistance as i found out doh :lol:

Back to the top
Ahhh that thing! Ok cool, and i hook the ecu and speedo vacuum up to this? And block both throttle body breathers off and also the one at back of inlet im guessing?

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
if you have the inlet vac pipe on the back, I would put that to your ecu. speedo vacuum to the valve, cap off the spare nipple on the valve and the 2 on the throttle body :)

if the vacuum routing would be better from the valve to ecu then by all means do that instead, this is where the early abf ecu were run to, the late abf switched to the inlet nipple

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.