Skip navigation

280mm brake upgrade help

Back to the top
Hi there, im in need of a little help.  Im going to be fitting a set of corrado G60 280mm front brakes to my mk1 with adapters and wondered if there were any front backplates that i can use with them?  The corrado G60 ones wont fit onto the mk1 hub carriers.  What have other people used?  Thanks.

Back to the top
ebay and caddy forums do them :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Hi there, i dont mean the adapters to fit the calipers but the backplate that sits behind the disc?  if thats what you meant any idea where on the caddy forum or what i should search for on ebay? thanks.

Back to the top
ah i see, all you can use are standard mk1 plates. they'll be a bit smaller than the g60 ones but should work just as well

Back to the top
I didn't think they  would be bIg enough?

Back to the top
the g60 ones are tiny anyway, and ive not actually had any shields at all for the last few years!

Back to the top
So would you still say they would fit?  I suppose i need to find out the size of them somehow to be sure.

Back to the top
yeah they should fit no worries, they fit on the back dont they away from the calipers? if so nothing there which will stop them going on

Back to the top
I was thinking the bigger discs would be the problem rather than the calipers.

Back to the top
Pretty sure i ran the standard backplates with 280 discs no problem, the backplates flarte backwards away from the disc.

Back to the top
the extra diameter of the disc makes no difference, it just sticks out from the cover a bit more the offset is similar if not the same.  as i say the oem 280mm cover is pretty small anyway, its the same part as the 256mm cover plate so really its still too small for 280mm :lol:

as i say the 256/280 cover is only a quarter moon shape, so covers even less of the disc than the 239mm back plate

Back to the top
I am just doing this conversion too . I have the discs and adapters but does anyone know what model of caliper I should be looking for ?

Back to the top
I think i'm going with the vauxhall v6 calipers/carriers and G60 disc combo - seems much more straight forward

2003 VW Golf R32
1989 VW Golf Cabriolet

http://www.charlieraven.com
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.