Skip navigation

ARC894Y

Back to the top

Project Corona

A3306D49-8E9C-4692-8E63-DE2168A0B60B.jpeg Painted them silver and hate them. I've got some high temp grey so going do a couple of coats of that instead tonight. 

On a separate note does anyone have the torque settings for the bearings caps on top of the camshafts I remembered today that I haven't torqued them down so need to do that before I forget! 

Back to the top
Camshaft bearing caps are 20 NM, so not very tight at all.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Good progress so far. Keep at it. Will be worth it in the end.

How are you getting on with the sandblasting cabinet? I'm debating which one to get at the moment.
Are you finding its up to the job? also what media do you use?

All the best.

Back to the top
Thanks for the comment. Sand blasting cabinet is ok. It doesn't let any media out but the filter gets blocked and then you can't see anything so I've ended up taking the filter off and use a vacuum in the hole when it on. It's average I'd say. It's more the compressor that's the important thing unless your using a road compressor you'll find the compressor is always running and it's not particularly up to the job. I started with a 25l compressor and now have 100l running about 16cfm and that's not powerful enough either. Unless your doing really small parts I would say send them off to get blasted and powder coated as it just takes forever! I got half way through the backing plates for the rear brakes yesterday and ended up wire wheeling and grinding as the blast cabinet was just so slow. I'm using 40grit media it's the oxide one I think. Hope that helps. 

Back to the top
Got the rear brake backing plates blasted, grinded and painted. Not too happy with the finish so may end up doing it over again.

Going to cut the front panel out tomorrow ready for welding! Looking forward to it with some trepidation!  2CCB7729-CE1B-44DF-BE6B-6BD15974A304.jpeg B12700D9-1BB7-4785-9C6D-5B2B3BEFF392.jpeg

Back to the top
07EBE7D6-D513-46EC-9B38-4B463B78F916.jpeg Bit of time away from the project after a brief return. I realised that i kind of needed to learn how to weld before carrying on too much further. I decided to do a few little projects, so created a balustrade for a rental property I own just so that I could learn the basics of welding which i now hope to be able to apply to the car (realising that welding 1mm is a lot different to welding 3mm) still i know how the basics now which means I can begin fabricating bits for the car and getting them welded together.

I ripped out the wiring loom which took 2 hours or so because I was labelling everything then without me realising my 5 year old decided to play with it and take all my labels back off again. Which is great! I'm sure it will be fine there must've a guide on here somewhere. Tomorrow going to get the carpet out so I can do the 1st repair which is welding the clutch cable hole back together again! Wish me luck. 

22D0F406-3B0C-42FA-A5D9-5148F81F7635.jpeg 9FBA5C49-577E-4423-8539-26FA13764C61.jpeg 20DA0014-A6F7-493B-824B-1D2C001947C6.jpeg

Back to the top
Labels fell off mine 15 years ago. How hard can it be right?! I've done under the bonnet. No idea if it's right but it fits!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
That's my feeling but I may well be wrong! Only time will tell I guess! Oh dear! 

Back to the top
This'll help

A2Resource

But a lot of it is kinda obvious just from the length of the wires

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Amazing! Thanks!

I went to sort the clutch cable through the bulkhead problem yesterday and saw that in order to do that properly I would have to get access under the rain tray. So I decided to bite the bullet and today take the rain tray out. Many will say it's a bad idea but I just love the look of a nice clean bay, so that's the look I'm going for. I cut the chaisis number out and will put it somewhere else, was thinking under the heater matrix or whatever it's call in the engine bay. Well the rain tray is now gone so I can get started making the bay lovely. Here's some pics.  C7A5902C-38E1-43A1-AB3A-8D01B7A26D5E.jpeg A0A3F513-C8AA-44E3-BAEC-EF12139D466E.jpeg 44D0E17E-9DC8-42FF-833F-F01AC856E18D.jpeg

Back to the top
Eek, no going back on that rain tray then :lol:

It definitely does look cleaner. I tried it and realised I would miss the stock heater so put it back on. I must admit much easier with it off to work on the back of the engine.

Like the practice run on the railings and want to face our retaining wall like that with the wood :thumbs:

Back to the top
I have no idea how you got yours out without mangling it! I spot weld drilled all the welds and it was so stuck in there, I ended up getting angry and just ripping it to bits! Kind of regret it now but my patience was wearing very thin with it in the end! To be honest though I have no plans to use the car in the cold, may be ha day on those cold nights but again it's not going to see many of those! It's very much going to be a special occasion car.

Back to the top

vdubber2 said

I have no idea how you got yours out without mangling it! I spot weld drilled all the welds and it was so stuck in there, I ended up getting angry and just ripping it to bits! Kind of regret it now but my patience was wearing very thin with it in the end! To be honest though I have no plans to use the car in the cold, may be ha day on those cold nights but again it's not going to see many of those! It's very much going to be a special occasion car.

It was a struggle for sure 😂.

Back to the top
Yep looks like you set an angry beaver to it  :lol:

So just all the holes to weld up, bits to flat and fill. shouldn't take too long  :ninja:  :ninja:  :o  :lol:

So you'll be welding up the heater box hole? If you do decide that you need demist in the future i believe the rear demist from a BMW 3 series convertible can be used as it's a fan system with an electric heater.

Just a thought

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks Ian that's great, I'll bare that in mind 

I got started on the clutch cable repair panel, needs some seriously work on the welds but it's a start at least! 

D1A66636-9BDA-4012-A129-F46AF899CFBC.jpeg

Back to the top
Bit of grinding and it's looking a bit better. Still some more work to do to it tomorrow but quite pleased so far.  C8661B56-0548-4CE0-965D-29D83682C744.jpeg

Back to the top
Bit of grinding and it's looking a bit better. Still some more work to do to it tomorrow but quite pleased so far.  C8661B56-0548-4CE0-965D-29D83682C744.jpeg

Back to the top
Got all the old under seal off the rain try and I'm going to weld up a plate I made for the heater tomorrow. Now bodywork has begun I'm feeling a bit happier with the project so I'm going to try to do a bit everyday again. D49D3DAC-86FA-48E2-A6C1-DB232C199E90.jpeg

Back to the top
06F33D2E-B00F-491F-B182-2DEC92184E23.jpeg Started to weld up the holes in the engine bay today. Only been able to snatch an hour or so over the last two weeks. Slow progress for sure  6FF71EB7-CB56-4098-ACAE-3E109655079F.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.