Skip navigation

Sold

Back to the top
Yes but these type of extenders are often welded to the hub assy to add strength. Lots of stories where this type has broken at the point where they fit into the hub assy. Just generalising, not talking about your extenders in particular.

Back to the top
Ah fair enough I think I put photos up of the kit before I fitted them?

They just bolt to the three mounts on the lower arms (proper nice tight fit too unlike the standard ones were) then slip into hub and pinch bolted tight.

Back to the top
I don't want to sound condescending but please do some research on installing ball joint extenders as they are a critical suspension component.

Have a look at this thread, the info you want is about 3/4 of the way down the page. http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?126104-Nige-s-Golf-MK2/page72

It's not just a matter of bolting them on and driving away but the good thing is the ones you have look to be top quality,

Cheers

Paul

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top

sports racer said

I don't want to sound condescending but please do some research on installing ball joint extenders as they are a critical suspension component.

Have a look at this thread, the info you want is about 3/4 of the way down the page. http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?126104-Nige-s-Golf-MK2/page72

It's not just a matter of bolting them on and driving away but the good thing is the ones you have look to be top quality,

Cheers

Paul

What information do you think I don't know paul?

Back to the top
Sorry, I'm making assumptions and I shouldn't be.

Your comment regarding welding had me worried that you weren't going down that path.

I like what you've been doing to the car and I sympathise with having to fix up previous owners dodgy modifications. There's only one way to treat an old car and that's doing it right the first time.

Cheers

Paul

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top

sports racer said

Sorry, I'm making assumptions and I shouldn't be.

Your comment regarding welding had me worried that you weren't going down that path.

I like what you've been doing to the car and I sympathise with having to fix up previous owners dodgy modifications. There's only one way to treat an old car and that's doing it right the first time.

Cheers

Paul

That's because the kit I've bought was bought with full confidence as it's been extensively testing in road and race track situations over the last four race situations, even been product tested at the ring.

The issue with welding is that you can cause brittleness in the hub as it is a casting and if you ever damage anything then you end up have to replace whole assy.

Back to the top
A little battle won tonight.

I've never had to do any of my metal work or fabrication work before as my good pal did it all for me but as I've relocated I'm going to learn new skills.

Now this one is very basic but a redrill and retap threads on a screw snapped flush.

Brake disc locating screws both snapped in hubs and driving me crazy trying to get wheels on.

Well I one the battle on one side so I stopped there before it went wrong ha ha.

Back to the top
Sounds like a win to me!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah I felt it was a win!

Not much action on the mk1 been done recently.

I've done plenty of wheel searching, deciding if to get some steels and fit the semi slicks and keep the zenders after the refurb or get some bbs rm with semi slicks on and just have the one set of wheels…

Apart from that I just need more time to finish a few jobs off.

Back to the top
I had half an hour to spare tonight so had a go at the other snapped disc location screw.

Pilot drilled out then in with the 5mm and then three stage tap kit.

Rebuilt the disc, adaptor and caliper but noticed the caliper needs spacing over a little (washers supplied with kit but you have to see how it fits first)

So it's stripped back off and wait for another bit of time.

Target is end of march.

Ive also now added a new interior and wheel setup to the list of jobs before march.

Back to the top
Tonight jobs.

Rebuild the left side brake, spacer and disc setup.

Had to spacer off the bracket with a 1mm washer so caliper is central but the head of the bolt is slightly catching the back of the disc.

Still having trouble with setting the rack up as the wheels are towing out massively.

Back to the top
IMG_4986.JPG IMG_4987.JPG

Hard to show in photos.

Back to the top
IMG_4989.JPG

Ball joint extender and flip kit shown

Back to the top
I found why my tracking is still nowhere near.

I measured the tie rods to 380mm but at the end of the section not to the shoulder of it. This made them 9mm out per side but then it only leave 9mm of thread inside the tie rod end so I've ordered the mk2 golf non pas rods as they are longer and will give me the right adjustment.

Back to the top
IMG_5018.JPG

The longer tie arms have come and they are too long but that's not a problem as I'll have loads of adjustment even when I've cut them down 15mm.

The end is close for this job!

Then the interior to change and maybe new wheels?!?!

Back to the top
Glad you sussed it. Hopefully soon you can just drive and enjoy it!!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Its getting so close I can smell it!!

Back to the top
I managed to get an hour on the car tonight.

New longer tie arms built up to the 380mm I need after cutting them down 10mm. I Put them onto rack and fitted tie arm ends.

The tracking inst far off now and I have loads of adjustment now with the longer arms.

I fitted some aftermarket camber adjustment bolts that work with the bc racing coilovers.

The brakes all rebuild back on.

Wheels fitted back on.

The only job left is to tighten the lock nuts on the inner rack but because of the tight access I might drop the engine mounts off to make sure I can tighten them good!

This weekend I also had a quick 7.5 hours drive down to see mark from classic vw to collect some parts.

New wheels
Black parcel shelf
Rear bench seat.

So I've the new interior to make fit next which will take some work.

Then choose some tyres for the new wheels r888's or ad08's or maybe the nankang track tyres?!?

Back to the top
IMG_5033.JPG

Here are the new wheels atf turbines very rare and shouldn't have bbs stickers on but I have the replacement atf ones.

Back to the top
That is a great looking, period-correct wheel Daz…
:thumbs:
I know you've been threatening it, but are these going to be enough to keep the Turbo's in storage?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.