Skip navigation

The 1993 Clipper cabio I didnt know I wanted. It found me.

Back to the top
Like the video.  :thumbs:

You seem to be missing the dust boot which covers the metal shaft of the shock?

When mine bottomed out on old shocks and broke the plastic dust boot.

New one fitted.

You can get the covers from eBay or here.

Topran 103485 Boot, Front - OE Ref: 357412135 | AVS Car Parts

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I completed the work for the MOT today. No video this time, I needed to get work done a little quicker than on sunday so you will need to make do with old fashion pictures that dont move.

Started with getting the cars bum in the air;

Wheel off;

Popped the bearing cap off, removed the split pin and with a 24mm removed the securing nut;

Once that nuts off the outer bearing will fall out. Keep it clean if re-using. Then the drum will pull off revealing the brakes;

Good idea to take a picture before dismantling so that you can see where each spring goes when its time to reassemble.

These are the parts laid out in order of fitment;

Now I need to remove the wheel cylinder. Things were stiff but you need to go easy as bleed nipples can snap, brake pipes can twist and nuts can round off. If you get away with none of these things happening you can count yourself lucky.

I got the cylinder swapped and the brakes all re-assembled. The self adjuster for the handbrake means its quite a faff getting things back together, especially compared to a Beetle.

With the brakes back together it was time to change the bearings.

Start by pulling off the seal from the inner bearing;

The inner bearing will now lift out.

Next job is to drive out the bearing races. There is a groove on the inside of the drum that lets you hammer out the old races from the inside (front bearing is hallerd out from the back of the drum and vice versa);

Drive in the new bearings by using a large socket the same diameter so that the race goes in square;

Grease up the rear bearing and drop into place;

Push on the new seal;

Flip the drum over and push it onto the spindle then push the front bearing into place before securing with the washer and nut;

To set the torque of the securing nut I fitted the wheel with the centre cap remover. This let me tighten the nut until there was no wobble in the bearing but not so tight that it caused drag.

Once happy the wheel came back off before fitting the split pin;

And then the bearing cap;

To finish off this side I bled the brakes and checked the handbrake.

All was good so I moved on to repeat the process on the other side.

At this point my camera decided to die but I did get a picture of why the back brakes were so imbalanced.

You can see from the picture that the cylinder is seized on the left piston. This piston was doing nothing to slow the car so glad its all swapped and working as it should now.

Dave.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Like the video.  :thumbs:

You seem to be missing the dust boot which covers the metal shaft of the shock?

Yip, they are long gone. In the past I have used steering rack boots but I didnt have any left so the piston will just have to live with getting dirty.

Back to the top
I meant to post yesterday but car now has its MOT for another year...... Just need to tax the blighter now.

Back to the top
It has been 2.5 years of great fun but I think my adventure with this wee Golf may soon be coming to an end  :'(

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=classifieds%2Fcars-for-sale_2%2F1993-mk1-vw-golf&redirected=1#post_1573871

Dave

Back to the top
And then it was gone.

My wee Golf went to its new home today and left a fun shaped space on the drive way.

bye bye golf by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

bye bye golf 2 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

I would have loved this thread to go full circle but because Photobucket have turned into money grabbing curse words all my other pictures have vanished.

Anyway, hopefully the new owner will have as much fun with the car as I had and it will be around for many more miles.

Dave.

Back to the top
You had some good times in it and I'm sure 1 day you will get another..  :thumbs:   

Been great reading your thread and seeing your progress, we will be here and do pop in every now and then.

Did you point the new owner to the site or did it go to a member or someone on here?

I know what you mean about photobucket as I can access all my photos I used to help others out and I'm not paying to just get access to delete some photos…..

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I did pass on the details so hopefully it will pop up again in the future.

If its OK I will be posting some classifieds for the bits I gathered along the way and no longer need and of course I will keep popping by from time to time, great cars and I wouldnt be surprised if I got another, only sold this one due to storage logistics.

Back to the top
That's a shame to see it go - it looked a lovely example

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Fairly gutted I had to sell it to be honest but the garage and driveway where I store my Type3, my Wifes '67 Beetle and all my spares is being sold so I have to move everything out.
I was going to buy a van but this came up VERY cheap with 10 months MOT;
Golf replacement by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

So the money from the Golf is tucked away and once winter has passed I will use it to buy something nice again.

Back to the top
Ah it's not all bad then - just the waiting game now until the next time ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.