Skip navigation

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Updated 18/06/2014

Back to the top

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Little updated 14/12/12

s3-dan said

Unbelievble, the find and the work, perfect keep it up its so good to see it not being ruined with a conversion etc..
thanks mate.

Last edit: by Swallowtail_uk

Back to the top

ManicRazor said

ah bum, just read through this entire thread eagerly awaiting the finished article. Guess i'll have to wait a bit longer!

Absolutely amazing attention to detail dude, never seen such an in-depth and true to original form restoration before, keep up the good work! and plenty of updates please :)

sorry mate, this project will take time and has to be prefect…..i will update again soon.

Back to the top
That's some great work you're doing there.  Your attention to detail is a little humbling.  My rebuild wasn't this in-depth and still cost me a small fortune.  I can only imagine how much you've spent so far.

I look forward to seeing more!

Fully restored and driven daily!  I love my 1980 Rabbit Diesel!!

Back to the top

Frankinstyn said

That's some great work you're doing there.  Your attention to detail is a little humbling.  My rebuild wasn't this in-depth and still cost me a small fortune.  I can only imagine how much you've spent so far.

I look forward to seeing more!

thank mate, its costing an arm n leg! shhh don't tell the misses thou  :lol:

Back to the top
awesome projekt, you'er doing there..

I am looking forward to seeing it finished:)

Back to the top
WOW

Back to the top
amazing work!!

Back to the top
That is quite a shell! Very inspiring and interesting to see the round plastic caps off and then replaced and seam sealed.

Back to the top
rear axle, wish bones and suspension

I think we all know the process i take with restoring these parts…..i'll let the photos do the talking :)

wishbones, acid stripped and galvanised - i was not happy with edge of the wisbones as over the year they have taken some abuse, so i carefully shaped them back before zinc coated and finally power coated

Calipers:
Front caliper seals were perished and split -

Rear Brakes:

Axle:

Top Mounts:

Suspension Legs:

brought brand new front shocks but you cant see the part number - made by boge - they needed a quick paint

I order brand new oil filled shocks for the rear as well, these wont genuine but made by Boge too.

For some reason I had misplaced the finish suspension legs with springs photo - will try and sort this photo out.

Brake cylinder and bottle@
This just had a quick paint and the bottle was cleaned (missing photo again)

Back to the top
Nice update. Looks like you have been busy over the last few weeks  :thumbs:

Keep up the good work.  :)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

lol, no this is work I've done ages ago, just had some spare time to put some pics up. :cool:

Back to the top
nice m8. i love to do this to my might do 1 day . you doing a great job keep it up get the ko4 hybrid out  :thumbs:

Back to the top

peterg60 said

nice m8. i love to do this to my might do 1 day . you doing a great job keep it up get the ko4 hybrid out  :thumbs:

Im gonna wait until you got yourself ready, maybe you'll give me a go/take me out and i'll then think about it.

Back to the top
Hi,

I've got NOS shell with all NOS doors/bonnet/tailgate in storage, and your thread will be the template for building my new mk1 golf.

Incredible what you have done, love it.

Cheers Leembo

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

smudger1980 said

lol, no this is work I've done ages ago, just had some spare time to put some pics up. :cool:

:lol: I know that feeling mate.

Back to the top

leembo said

Hi,

I've got NOS shell with all NOS doors/bonnet/tailgate in storage, and your thread will be the template for building my new mk1 golf.

Incredible what you have done, love it.

Cheers Leembo

where did u find a new shell, doors, bonnet and tailgate? is it a swallowtail?

Back to the top
Unfortunately not a swallowtail.

It had been dry stored in a mechanical garage for at least 20 years, way up the north of scotland.

I won't be starting the project for a while as I've got a mk1 Jetta with 26000 miles which needs a refurb before it becomes major. The shell is dry stored and won't deteriorate any, unlike the Jetta.

Back to the top

leembo said

Unfortunately not a swallowtail.

It had been dry stored in a mechanical garage for at least 20 years, way up the north of scotland.

I won't be starting the project for a while as I've got a mk1 Jetta with 26000 miles which needs a refurb before it becomes major. The shell is dry stored and won't deteriorate any, unlike the Jetta.

look forward to seeing your projects mate.

Back to the top
I'll get threads up for each of them when they get started.

I may be in touch by pm with you to get some advice/knowledge/tips etc etc.

All the best

Back to the top

leembo said

I'll get threads up for each of them when they get started.

I may be in touch by pm with you to get some advice/knowledge/tips etc etc.

All the best

no worries mate, happy to help. :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.