Skip navigation

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Updated 18/06/2014

Back to the top

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Little updated 14/12/12

richyhill said

awsome awsome awsome !

Cheers

Back to the top
trying to get back on track on the build thread…glad i left myself a footnote to what was next to post. anyway, here's the inside being soundproofed.

bulkhead was done also..

Scuttle/ rain tray… I wanted to replicate the old sound proofing pad. The old ones had engraved cut outs, so i used a fine thin blade screw driver& screw to copy this in the new sound proofing pad and then cut out the right shape too….

next was to rebuild the panels & suspension back onto the car and put it back on the floor….whilst i was messing around with other things, i refurbed the door hinges:

Ready to be shipped off to the bodyshop for prep & paint

arrived at its new home…

Back to the top
Ahhhhhhh that's better, now looking forward to next update!

Back to the top

Hi

Hi mate. This is an awe :D some build. Can I send you a pm as ive a few questions?

Back to the top

bouchay said

Ahhhhhhh that's better, now looking forward to next update!

lol

Back to the top

Re: Hi

jazman said

Hi mate. This is an awe :D some build. Can I send you a pm as ive a few questions?

yeh go for it :)

Back to the top
Great work. What is that sound proofing material and how is it applied/ fixed? I assume you use a heat gun.

Cheers,
Dag4r

Current MK1 rebuild elapsed time - 15 years and counting…
Is it normal to clean and paint bits of your car that will never be seen?
Not-so-new addition - 1996 MK1 Citi Golf (off the road for 4 years… and counting)

Back to the top

DAG4R said

Great work. What is that sound proofing material and how is it applied/ fixed? I assume you use a heat gun.

Cheers,
Dag4r

its normal sound proofing stuff from a local paint suppliers. I went for this type as i like the diamond effect on it. It is sticky backed, you then heat both sides up and then massaged into place. good think stuff, but it doesn't have a name. :dontknow:

Back to the top
Best build thread i've read in a while :wink:

God knows how you have the time to put the thread together, with all these mk1's everywhere!

Quick question, on the floor pan did you spray the 3m bag seal straight on top of the por 15?

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

God knows how you have the time to put the thread together, with all these mk1's everywhere!

Quick question, on the floor pan did you spray the 3m bag seal straight on top of the por 15?

the floor was given to coats of por15, heated dry, then sealer was put on top.

Back to the top
WOOOOOOOOOW!!!! 8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Only just come across this thread 8O Absolutely unreal work! Dipping is one thing I really want to get done for one of my mk1s, did you get it done at the place in Walsall?

Cheers,

Arun :D

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

redpetemk1 said

Cheers :D

Any more progress?

Back to the top
Nice to see it has gone off to the bodyshop, great work as usual  on the refurb of the hinges.

So now it's in the bodyshop have you set a time to have it finished?

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
its not as nice as mine  :starwars:  

mine has 1 inch of genuine rare garage dust covering it :wheelchair:

Back to the top

dojodubber said

its not as nice as mine    

mine has electric blinds now! lol :starwars:

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

WOOOOOOOOOW!!!! 8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Only just come across this thread 8O Absolutely unreal work! Dipping is one thing I really want to get done for one of my mk1s, did you get it done at the place in Walsall?

Cheers,

Arun :D

Surface processing LTD - Dudley mate.
http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Swallowtail_uk said

redpetemk1 said

Cheers :D

Any more progress?

i have started the rebuild on the components now, engine, beam etc ….plenty of pics…just not enough time to upload them. :)

Back to the top

mark83 said

Nice to see it has gone off to the bodyshop, great work as usual  on the refurb of the hinges.

So now it's in the bodyshop have you set a time to have it finished?

ha ha ha….no…….once its painted it will go into storage for abit as need to save some money up. it will be ready once, im happy with it 100% these swallowtails cant be rushed lol……..plus i got another project on at the moment.  :lol: "the never ending story"

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

dojodubber said

its not as nice as mine    

mine has electric blinds now! lol :starwars:

mine is metallic silver a expensive option lol, yours is primer white  :2guns:

Back to the top
oh and my has a electric Arial  :detective:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.