Skip navigation

Sold

Back to the top
borednow yeah I though back to bare metal and clear coat in!

Back to the top
Ha ha  :lol:

That's what i did with my entire car!

Checkout the Mynx thread  ;)

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I'm still not happy how the car drives.

Upon further checking of my tracking settings the rears are miles out as they should have about 0 toe and I've got -8 overall.

So couple of thoughts,

Bent rear axle
Stub axles not fitted correctly

So I've book the car in witha motorsport car tuner who can shim the rears as they arnt adjustable. I don't think the beam is bent as both side are nearly equally out. Or are the stub axles bent but again they are both about the same degrees out.

So is it just how the stub axles have mounted the the axle?

Took some photos and it looks pretty flush, though shims might have been fitted wrong.

IMG_5196.JPG IMG_5197.JPG IMG_5198.JPG

Back to the top
Should I have zero flex on the steering rack brackets where it mounts to the bulkhead??

Got the wife and giggle the steering hard left and right with the wheels on the ground and I could see the rack mounts flexing against the bulkhead.

I'm going to get under it and check it from the bottom but wheels won't be on the floor.

Back to the top
IMG_5211.JPG

The new back window trim sticker really makes the back window look bigger.

Checked the bulkhead for cracks around the steering mounts and all looks good. I will however seam weld around them when I get a chance and add a race between both points.

Ordered some ad08r tyres for the new wheels.

Back to the top
Tonight's job if I get back from gym on time is take drop the rack back off and checked the adjustor for free play. I assumed a new rack would have the play dialed out of it but I'm told not.

Back to the top
I adjust the free play on the rack today which was nothing so no hopes pinned on that solving anything.

Rack and gearbox mount refitted.

Test fitted new wheels again and noticed they hit the caliper so I need to order spacers, longer bolts etc.

New ad08r tyres have turned up.

Need to finish a few bits on the mk6 interior.

Booked the day off on the 28th to sand, da and polish a wax the paintwork back to been fresh.

I need to refresh all the black plastics too.

Still plenty to do if it's going to be ready for the 15th at Donny.

Back to the top
Wheels refitted and back off the axle stands again.

A little more work on the interior done  too.

Back to the top
Not much of an update really.

Spigot rings come for new wheels.
Interior fully fitted now.

Alignment getting sorted with rear shims Sunday

Then Wednesday sand, polish and wax the car.

Back to the top
Sounds you've been busy still Daz!

I wouldn't have thought you should get flex at the bulkhead at the mounts - putting a brace in seems a fair shout  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I wouldn't have thought you should get flex at the bulkhead at the mounts - putting a brace in seems a fair shout  :thumbs:

Hairyarse said

Yeah slight flex where the mounts fix to the bulkhead and around there, nothing crazy but I have nothing to compare it to.

I've been trying to keep my target of been fully sorted by end of march.

Back to the top
Doesn't sound like you're far out  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I gave the money pit a bath prior to its road trip tomorrow to stoke, it's about 4 and half hours round trip to have it set up once and for all!

IMG_5247.JPG IMG_5248.JPG

Back to the top
Well what a day!!!

I took the golf over to stoke today to get it setup by some motorsport techs and do they know there stuff!

Drivers rear was out 5mm and passenger 4mm!

The front wasn't too bad after my last setup but we centered the wheels.

After a couple of hours work and some mad maths they got the rears toeing perfect and the correct camber.

Then come the test drive, well the cars never driven so good!!! Positive input and re actions from and steering input, drove straight away wrestling with the wheel.

I covered all the strange issues that I've had like the rear stepping out when braking into a roundabout, the vague steering, lack of input from the centre parts of the rack etc etc and this was all sorted after two clever guys and a piece of plastic!!!

IMG_5250.JPG

Back to the top
I got a quote on a lsd yesterday and I'm looking at £1150 for supply and fit, then I want to fit forged rods so that I can push more power later which is another £1000.

So I think if I drop the engine out at the start of winter to paint and clean up then engine bay I'll get gem jobs done then.

Still need to the the ad08r tyres fitted but thinkibgbabout some g60 steels for the ad08r then fit the t1r toyos on the itf turbines for shows.

Back to the top
Today task was a little detailing.

Rinsed car
Citrus pre wash
Rinsed car
BH snow foam
Rinsed car
Fall out remover
Rinsed car
Two bucket wash
Died car
Clay bared whole car

Masked car up.

Then moved onto a machine polish for 7 hours.

I've still to apply my BH polish / wax then tackle the faded bumpers and arches with c4.

IMG_5256.JPG
IMG_5257.JPG

Back to the top
The cars had another wash to make sure all residue is off before the polish is applied but it's already beading loads better than before.

Last edit: by mk1 daz

Back to the top
No photos today but spent hours adding bilt hamber auto balm, cleaning all the glass and interior.

Ordered some c4 gtechniq for the plastics.

I've got some bilt hamber surfex hd to clean the engine bay up tomorrow.

Collecting the wheels Monday after ad08r tyres have been fitted then needs a c5 ceramic coating.

The money pit sticker is starting to peel off so wonder if it's it way of showing me we are nearly at the end lol.

Back to the top
Yet more cleaning today!

I decided to clean the engine bay up with bilt hamber surfex hd and a soft brush it took a good few hours but come out ok I just need to get some spray to make it shine.

IMG_5279.JPG

Then I took off the rear bumper so I could clean it properly and wax behind it as I got carried away.

Going to pick wheels back up tomorrow, spacers and new wheels bolts on order.

Back to the top
Exciting times seeing it all come together innit?

Can't beat hours and hours of polishing and claening and making things shiny.

Looking great so far!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.