Skip navigation

Sold

Back to the top
Today job was to send over a list of parts I think I need to heritage then I can get on with building it back together.

I've been offered some good prices on mintex disc and pads but not sure how they rate???

Back to the top
Today's spend.

The rest of the steering rack inc boots etc.

Handbrake cables for the mk4 calipers

CV boots

All from heritage

5pc wire brush kit off eBay to clean calipers up.

Not decided on colour for brakes as you can't see them anyway.

Back to the top
Well heritage don't mess about!

Got home last night and a box of parts is sat waiting for me.

So after the gym I built up the rack now I just need to set the measurements then lock it all in place and refit.

My wire brushes should be here Friday so I can start cleaning up them calipers.

Back to the top
Set up the rack last night to all the measurements but still wants a good setup with the tracking and dial in some camber on the bc racing coilovers.

Back to the top
Just read the lot, fair play for sticking with it and getting it properly sorted out.

Sounds like its not been used much before you brought it, and now you're giving it a good shake down you're getting all the problems!

I have a similar problem with the paint on my roof, water in the primer coat is popping in little spots, I've watched them burst on a really hot day! It's almost like its not had a enough time to dry before they had sealed it with paint, and after a few years the water is finding its way out.

Keep up the good work:thumbs:

Back to the top
Yeah sure how much use it had after been built?

Tightening the rack up tonight then if I get done working on my t5 I'll fit the rack.

Back to the top
So I tightened up the ball joints to arm nuts so they ok but it still turns on the arms to rack thread, of course once it's fitted I can't see how it could turn.

My question is should I lock tight the arms to the rack?

Back to the top
Couldn't fit the rack as I forgot heritage dont have the rack to column boot in stock so I'll have to eBay one.

Back to the top

mk1 daz said

So I tightened up the ball joints to arm nuts so they ok but it still turns on the arms to rack thread, of course once it's fitted I can't see how it could turn.

I thought the track rods had a lock nut to tighten then to the rack.

See below link, it shows a lock nut,

Volkswagen Workshop Service and Repair Manuals > Golf Mk1 > Running gear | Steering | Repairing steering gear | Renewing or repairing steering box

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

mk1 daz said

I thought the track rods had a lock nut to tighten then to the rack.

See below link, it shows a lock nut,

Volkswagen Workshop Service and Repair Manuals > Golf Mk1 > Running gear | Steering | Repairing steering gear | Renewing or repairing steering box

yeah I see it now, wouldn't mind but I used the same diagram to build the rack.

Non come with the new rack or arms so I'll strip the old rack and see if they are on there.

Thanks !!!!

Back to the top
I believe crazy quiffs have the column boots in stock, should be cheaper than eBay 👍🏼

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks for the tip.

Racks rebuild again and f**k up avoided, granted they could of never turned off but still.

Back to the top
They are £33.30 plus 3:50 post but are also out of stock!?!?

Back to the top
You're not having much luck with this rack  O_o

There's one on eBay as an auction, try the link below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322402158046

Back to the top

pazwaa said

You're not having much luck with this rack  O_o

There's one on eBay as an auction, try the link below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322402158046

Haven't you read this thread lol!

Back to the top
The auction is for the rubber steering boot.

Matt

Back to the top
lol I ment about the bad luck with the rack and all the other bad luck I've had on the car.

Bad joke my bad.

Back to the top
Little parts update.

Crazy got the steering boots back in stock and got that now although the price of these things shocks me.

Sorted the right handbrake cables out and got refunded on the wrong ones.

So now I can carry on building it back together to hopefully have it road worthy for march / April.

Plan is it can have the summer because there is only the bodywork to tackle now and it's had a full build done.

Oh and trip to efi parts to finish the mapping for the new turbo.

Back to the top
IMG_3792.JPG

Fitting the steering rack today.

There is a little Earth strap on the old rack from the rack to the bolt that holds the rack on? What this for?

Back to the top
It's for the horn switch
If you don't coney it you horn not work.

Then you need go get some blue pills.  Lol :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.