Skip navigation

Series 1 Another G40 build

Back to the top
Some great fabrication going on in your engine bay olly, love the gearbox bracket  :thumbs:

Always nice when the grinder decides to bite you  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks chaps, it's nice to finally start getting bits done

Well first job of the day was the mount, unfortunately there is no welder at the lockup so had to take it home to weld.

I took it back home last night after the test fit, got up theis morning and ran some welds, then started to chop it down and shape it

Once i'd set on a shape i made a plate from 2mm steel shaped it and took it home for welding

And welded the insides of the 3mm plate for the mount

Also added a plate across a portion of the bottom, now it was ready for the final test fit

Perfect

Ground the welds back a little

Added some rivnuts to the underside plate

For this

Back to the top
I also got a few other bits done

Charger outlet

Made an inlet flange from 6mm ally plate

Also altered the fmic oulets but phone battery died so no pics

Back to the top
Loving the gearbox mount   :thumbs:  you painting/powdercoating/choming it?

Back to the top
Thanks bud i'm much happier with it than the one that came with it

When everything is mocked up, i'll paint, polish, powdercoat all the bits.

The mounts will all be powdercoated though bud yea with new stock bushes and mounts all round  ;)

Back to the top
Great fab and welding work there, nice one ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks bud, will take the ally bits to my ally welder mate, i've got a tig but haven't learned how to use it yet  :$

Ebay says my seats still haven't been shipped  :(

Next i want to attend to fuel pumps then back on to the dreaded wiring. Will be modding the throttle pedal and clutch pedal to accept different cables

Back to the top
Great thread, despite the coin it's going to swallow it'l be well worth it since you've had the best possible start in finding that shell. Always admire folks who can fabricate their own parts :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks bud, seem to have run out of money again  :(

The guy with the seats isn't playing ball, so browsing ebay earlier and saw these

Few messages later and a 2.5 hour round trip

So maybe this weekend i can make up some subframes and see how they look fitted, obviously some kind of trim will be in order in the future

Back to the top
There some idiots on eBay! If he didn't want to sell at that price, he shouldn't have put them on so low  :P

I saw your new ones on the bay, I've been watching out for some fishnet headrests, and those came up. Will look great in your car after a retrim  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks Matt, £50 not bad for the pair  :lol:

Back to the top
:o Bargain mate!!

Back to the top
Hey Ollie, Neil (Spindle) here!

Your build is looking good, nice work as always  :thumbs:

Back to the top
looking good mate :)

Back to the top
Thanks chaps, hopefully get some carpets ordered on payday and get the seats mounted

Be nice to get one part completed, got a busy non car weekend this weekend though :(

Back to the top
looking boss! Out of interest, how do you plan on tackling the subframes? Luckily i bought a complete cabrio sportline for £275 and nabbed the front seats out of it for mine!

Before that though i had some RS ford fiesta recaros that I made up subframes for, emulating the VW 3 point system. If I was to do it again, I'd do away with the 3 point system, maybe even drill out the spot welds on the front mount and just have rails like in peugeot, ford etc, mounted at 4 points, SOOOO much easier to slide back and forth. By keeping the front mount (where the pin slides through) I think its much harder to achieve the right height. With the sportline seats sat low down at the back, they're not exactly a comfortable motion to move the seats. still quite a lot of 'humping' required to move it.

Back to the top
i will be using the bottoms of mk1 gti seats i was gifted, i'll weld braces across the 3 point system and chop off all the parts i don't need so all the geometry stays correct.

as you say the height of the frame with a seat on top is much higer than standard and being 6'3" i will be mounting lower than stock height.

these seats didn't come with and frames or rails but just bolt holes so i'll make the frame so it can be bolted to these points, that way once they're all built i can unbolt the frames and take them to be powdercoated  :thumbs:

Back to the top
ahhh that sounds like a man with a plan! yeh bracing before cutting sounds like a plan. I just made if from measurements, probably why it never slid properly! at least the base cushion on those recaros is much much slimmer so you'll be sitting closer to the floor!

Back to the top
fingers crossed bud  :lol:

Back to the top
coming along nicely mate., mount looks spot on
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.