Skip navigation

Pistolpete's Mars Red Mk1 GTi restoration

Back to the top

Restoration thread for my 1983 Y-reg Mars Red GTi, non-sunroof model

MarkkGardner said

Cars looking stunning pete good work!! i had an issue with my clocks too still not managing to get any illumination on mine i thought changing the bulbs might of done it but still nothing, do crazyquiffs repair the clocks?

Cheers Mark.

Yeah Crazyquiff's can apparently repair most faults, just not mine at this attempt as it depends what spares Rich has.  I was hoping to buy a spare set of clocks and a couple of MFA sets have come up recently….but then the Mk1 Parts Traders just snap them all up and the enthusiast doesn't get a look-in.

I would have thought there is someone out there who could test and repair the boards as these things are all obsolete.

Back to the top
So I think I have finished !!  Got the last couple of bits vapour blasted and zinc plated for the engine bay, re-painted the metering head and then cleaned everything under the bonnet.  A coupe of finishing touches with the engine bay decals.

DSC_0318.JPG DSC_0330.JPG DSC_0331.JPG DSC_0332.JPG DSC_0333.JPG DSC_0334.JPG DSC_0345.JPG DSC_0347.JPG

Back to the top
And the interior is also completed, really please with how this cleaned up, it's all totally original.

DSC_0322.JPG

Back to the top
I still need to get her set up properly, thought I had it close enough but when I fired her up to move it into the corner of the garage, she was backfiring through the exhaust.  Sure enough, pulled the plugs and they were very black so she's running far too rich.  So she'll stay parked in the corner now until the better weather arrives and I can get her somewhere to get her running 100% and finally get an MOT for the road.

Oh yeah……and refit the front chin spoiler !!!

DSC_0352.JPG DSC_0353.JPG

Back to the top
Absolutely Beautiful.  You should be very proud of this resto!

Back to the top
Wow how clean is that.. what are you going to do now you have finished  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

stichill99 said

Absolutely Beautiful.  You should be very proud of this resto!

Thanks for the kind words.

mark1gls said

Wow how clean is that.. what are you going to do now you have finished  :thumbs:

Funny you should ask …… "Pistolpete's Lhasa Green Mk1 GTi restoration" coming to the Forum soon!! 😂

9AA90273-C94F-453D-B23B-FC13E23383DC.jpeg

Back to the top
Great feeling to finally get it done and you have done a brilliant job.

Back to the top
Inspirational Pete!!!  Really impressive detail - well done you.  I fully understand the time and patience to achieve those kind of results!

Back to the top

Back to the top
I assume it passed…
Crack out the Champagne - can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to have to wait so long to get it MOT'd.
Stunning car!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

I assume it passed…
Crack out the Champagne - can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to have to wait so long to get it MOT'd.
Stunning car!

Sadly not. Bit of a schoolboy error really. Drivers rear brake not working properly. Stripped it down this avo and the shoes are contaminated by some residual powder coat on the inside of the drum. Other than that, everything was fine. I've a spare set of shoes going on and have thoroughly removed any trace of powder coat from inside the drum. Forgot how much of a pain doing rear shoes is!

Back to the top
How did u rate the hydrate 80 ? im tempted to use it on the bulkhead of mine

Back to the top

000dave000 said

How did u rate the hydrate 80 ? im tempted to use it on the bulkhead of mine

Really good stuff, excellent coverage. Just be aware I tried to apply the Bilt Hamber Electrox primer after Hydrate 80 but kept getting a bad reaction. I degreased thoroughly as per instructions but still reacted. Had to re-do it and went straight to their Epoxy Resin coating onto the Hydrate 80 with no issues.

Back to the top
Well I got my MOT on the second attempt, new rear shoes fitted and the inside of the drum thoroughly cleaned of any powdercoat remnants.

Then took her to get the wheel alignment and tracking all set up properly, couldn’t resist a pic underneath while it was up in the ramp. Still have a couple of bits to finish it properly, I want the exhaust system adjusted as the adaptor from manifold to front silencer isn’t 100% right and the front silencer is sitting too low at the rear. Then I want to get it on the rolling road to properly set it up for the head/cam/throttle body combo.

57C2CE30-822F-400B-8947-14B52E593406.jpeg
C1919A70-DF5A-411A-B1A2-EB711D7A1643.jpeg

Last edit: by Pistol

Back to the top
Stunning mate, just stunning! Now time to enjoy the fruits of your labour!

J

PS got mine started over the weekend! Sounds like a dog, with 2/3rds of the exhaust missing. Doesn't idle, but at least I know she runs!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Super job on this car - well done Pete. Hats off to you.

It looks brilliant.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
hi pete hows the car now? no posts for a while.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
That's mega, great work throughout and a worthy outcome!

Looking forward to reading the green resto now

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

hi pete hows the car now? no posts for a while.

Hasn't bloody moved since Ken! Very frustrating I guess, but school hols etc over summer means I've not had any suitable chance to bother taxing it (and no shows to go to either). Before I drive it too much, I really want to get the exhaust sorted and then get engine set up fully. Unfortunately I couldn't get booked into the exhaust fabricator until August at the earliest so waiting for that now.

I have started stripping the green one down though, again I am struggling to find a bodyshop to take on a full resto.

CFA59B11-F359-4FD9-8B15-B56D7FB8B859.jpeg
There are too many online users to list.