Skip navigation

Mynx the Tintop 1400 16v afh bike carb'd restomod

Back to the top

Back up and running and for sale!

Thought I'd crack on an refurb the wheels myself.

After some sanding and umming and ahhing they aren't in the best of condition so the idea of polishing the lips and dish went outta the window and I popped into see the local paint man and asked for his most coarse, brightest silver for the lips and dish and I ended up with Audi Llama beige for the centres!

IMG_20180404_174716.jpg

Followed by a couple of coats of 2k clear and they're done.

Turns out they're made by RH and not Exips as I first thought.
Can't find much info on them so they're probably not very common.  :o  shame they're so rough!

Tyres on today hopefully!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So wheels on. Yay

IMG_20180420_192034.jpg

In addition I've finally fitted the mk1 polo front bumper too. Took a while to get the profile kinda right and then adjust the mk1 polo bumper end caps to suit.

Still looks ok I reckon. This one was cleared in 2k so I ended up doing the rear one again, as it had been done in RFU not 2k and had gone all milky and manky :P

IMG_20180420_192052.jpg

and the last little bit of playing has been the gear stick knob.

Found a lovely old walking stick topper and with a a bit of magic turned it into a gear knob!

IMG_20180420_192121.jpg

Damn I'm good!

Me Dad also found a sterring wheel from his old MGB that he way back in the 60's. Needs a bit of refurb and then we'll see how it fits in Mynx.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Mynx the Tintop 1400 16v afh bike carb'd restomod

Wheels look good but I have to say I really like the polo bumpers with the smooth profile and no need for the rub strip which are not great looking and seriously over priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
jamie8v   cheers mate.

Yup I'm of the same opinion, I like the cleaner lines of the polo ones. Of course the posh polo's had rub strips and it took ages to find non rub strip ones that were rubbish enough for me not to feel guilty about cutting up but not a big rusty dented mess.

The Derby ones curve around the edges of the wings, much like the Type 3s do, I do have a set of those spare, but they have the rub strips. Plus they're really rare!

How's yours doing?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
After having some issues with the way the engine was performing I've ended up doing the entire fuel system again  :'(

the engine would stop pulling at around 70ish mph and then began to loose power and speed. Seemed like it wasn't getting the right fuel air mixture. After slowing down and going around a few corners she'd run fine again until asked to do 70 again. Very odd.

I kinda assumed that there was some rubbish somewhere in the fuel system that was causing either a block in one of the carbs or in the fuel line in general.

So off cam the hard lies, the soft lines and the tank was emptied and hoovered out.
Carbs stripped and cleaned.

All lines then replaced with new ones.  O_o

Seems to be running much better now  :thumbs:

In other news, the tyre were rubbing everytime I went over a bump. Shame, now I have suspension that actually moves stuff starts rubbing  :lol:

So tracking and camber were set up with the ride height where I wanted it and 2 degrees of negative camber installed.

Still rubbing

So off came the 195/50 on the front and replaced with 175/55
Changed the 205/50's on the back to 195/50's from the front.

Fronts ok but backs still catching  :P

So time for 5mm to be shaved off the rear 15mm spacers.

Hopefully that'll do it!  :thumbs:

This just in from our Seat Correspondant!!!!!

Alfa 147 seats on the way  O_o

Why do i do this to myself :ninja:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
hi mate liking those new wheels, still need to see this in the flesh. can you take 5mm off and still clear the spigot? got a pair of 5 mm spacers here if you want to test fit

Back to the top
sporttrucker cheers mucker.

I'll have to pop down at some point for a gander at the Frankensteins Monster you're currently creating.

Well Mynx made it to Volksfest and back with only the 'modification' to the clutch cable failing. Thanks to Ant and Mr Carter helping with the fix, she made it home on her own!

Still ain't running right so another fuel pump is ordered and delivered to me. This ones a Suzuki 1100cc bike pump. Allegedly these are self regulating so we'll see if this one can beat the problem.

Fingers crossed!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
And so the joyfullness and sorting of problems continues………

Fuel pump swapped again. This time for one from a Suzuki 1100cc bike. Hopefully this will feed the correct amount of fuel at the correct time and stop her from 1, running hot (possibly 'cos she runs lean at high speeds and 2, sorts out the rough idle problem.

Whilst doing this I noticed black grease everywhere. CV grease. Turns out my CV joint bolts had come loose. 2 wouldn't do up at all and just continued to spin. As such time to remove them and inspect. I also noticed, when attempting to do them up, that seemed to be a lot of play in the diff……..

I needed to do the clutch and thrust bearing (noisy and rattly) anyway so off cam the box.

Yup, diff very rattly and thrust bearing worn out.

Luckily an alternative box was in the shed. Old box was an 8P which is a economy box with 5th being almost an overdrive. Which is fine but in Cornwall we have lots of hills until you get to the M5 (100 miles) so I was forever in and out of 5th and sometimes down to third due to me having little in the way of torque and all the horses are up high.

New box is an AHZ box, which is a close ratio one from a 1 litre polo. Might be better for my engine and the hills of Cornwall. We shall see!

At least the diff on this one is good!

Hopefully……………….

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well thise wheels looked good but with stretched tyres and the fact they're shaped like eggs I decided to go hunting once more.

Ended up with some more OZ wheels.

IMG_20181021_111754.jpg IMG_20181021_111802.jpg IMG_20181021_111807.jpg IMG_20181021_111813.jpg IMG_20181021_111829.jpg

Loved the pictures on ebay and they looked stunning when they arrived.

Wasn't sure when I put tyres on and even less sure about them on the car.

Thoughts?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The photo of the one on the rear in particular, remind me of one of sponge bobs mates..(  i dont really know if he has a starfish friend)

Back to the top
I run a 185/45 15 from Nankang, not the greatest tire but cheap and they look a bit more low profile.

Also, I'd recommend a CWV gearbox, similar to the 8P, a bit longer geared than the CWX that comes factory with the AFH motor.

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
abfmk1  Thanks mate  :lol:  :lol:  You've really put me off them now  :P   :thumbs:

nedrager  ta mucker, but I wouldn't run Nankangs if you paid me. there's a reason they are so cheap. Very little steel in them and a really rubbish compound so very little grip in the wet and it rains in Cornwall all the time. We call them Ditchfinders down here  :lol:

Interesting info on the gearbox. Actually I want something shorter in 1st to 4th and then about the same size 5th. I think I'm going to get one re-furbed and made how I want as I find the 8P too long as it is.

Cheers

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I have a spreadsheet of about 100 different 085 gearboxes…  screenshot.jpg

See my videos, Tom AFH

Back to the top
So approaching the end of 2018 and Mynx has been on the road for about 18 months.

So far the issues have been:
2 accelerator cables.
3 clutch cables
Grit in the fuel tank from being powder coated keeps blocking up the carbs and filters
4 fuel pumps (associated with the above and buying cheap ebay stuff sometimes)
Gearbox still needs refurbing or swapping out
Rear wheel bearing gone (i didn't get it tight enough first time)
Speedo stopped working intermittently

and now the thermostat housing has decided it doesn't want to be selaed against the head any more and is leaking lots. So new one ordered

IMG_20181221_093846.jpg

Hopefully it'll stop raining long enough for me to get it installed  :lol:

Mynx may, possibly be for sale in the new year so if you're interested let me know  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well Mynx has decided to spit out the dummy once again.

This time is the brakes. The pedal drops to the floor on the first use of the brakes and then comes back up and stiffens up after a single pump. Given that she's not using any brake fluid and there is no leaks (at least I don't have to start making brake lines again!) I figure it must be the master cylinder. Especially as that's al that's left  :lol:

As keen readers might be aware Mynx uses a master cylinder from an Ibiza / Leon Cupra R with no booster or anything else and has the master cylinder mounted on the bulkhead directly at the pedal. This means no issues with vacuums or intermediate linkages or anything else. This is good! Simple is good!

However………

These type of M/C's have to be modified and, among other things, a fluid bottle needed to be found that worked. I ended up with a rover 25 pot and, of course, made my lines to fit the M/C and the positions of the ports.

Of course it now turns out that the 2 port Cupra R M/C's are no longer available and NOS ones are hard to find. I've only managed to find one and it's over £200.  O_o

Turns out that they are the same as used on the Ford Focus, however the focus, generally, had 4 ports  :'(

Luckily they come with two blanking plugs for the 'non use' side  :lol:

So just some cutting and trimming to be done and hopefully it'll fit.

IMG_20190225_175050.jpg

Original in position

IMG_20190305_103326.jpg IMG_20190305_103347.jpg

and the new shiny one  :thumbs:

Wish me luck

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So a bit of an update with the Mynx continuing saga……

Brake master cynlinder fitted - all good.

Except now I have two calipers sticking  O_o

One rear and one front. Of course as I'm running 256 front brakes getting calipers was impossible………or so I thought. Turns out they are available new now  YAY   :thumbs:

New set ordered and fitted. Seems ok, however despite my checking part numbers many times I managed to get ones with carriers for un-vented discs  :dry:  so I ended up using the original carriers. Lets hope it wasn't the carriers sticking  :'(

Also replaced the rears with new ones as the removal of the slider pins and greasing didn't work………

Course I found out the rears had wedged on completely after the car broke down and ended up on the drive via a recovery truck………

So I arranged with a mate to use his ramp to remove and replace the fuel tank as it was full of grit and sand and other rubbish. God knows where all this was picked up from as it was a new tank 2yrs ago!!!!!!!!

So new tank fitted and all lines cleared out. New bike pump fitted (second hand from a breakers) and guess what? Nope still didn't want to fire up   :'(

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Fiddled with electrics a bit and then found out the fuel pump was shorting out, plus my electric supply to the pump is iffy. Possible poor relay     :banghead:    :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Anyhoo got her running using a jump pack to power another spare pump.

So that's £100 for another tank, £120 for new front calipers, £140 for new rear calipers and she now stops but won't go.

Another £100 odd quid for a new pump (I'm going to go new this time)

I'm also going to run new feed to the pump with a ignition live too. Of course this means removing most of the interior………

And all for Brizzle Volksfest in 14 days time…………….

:dry:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
New fuel pump arrived and fitted.

Found out the ignition timing was all over the place due to a mod I did. Hence the not firing and in all probability the breaking down too.

So into a garage to be fixed and re time the car. Seems to work far better now  :thumbs:

Unfortunately during a test drive I'be found that after about 4 miles in top gear (4th as 5th doesn't engage properly) it feels like a wheel is about to fall off.   :'(

I'm guessing the diff in the knackered box has finally given up the ghost.

Oh the joys!

This meant she didn't make Volksfest, which given it was a sea of mud was probably a good thing!  :thumbs:

Silver Clouds and all that!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well hello.

We're back!

Garage is being used (not finished but hey ho) and so it seemed time to get Mynx back up and running.

So I'm glad to inform you all that she's alive again!

Gear box is done, timing is good. Starts first time now, every time. Brakes all free. Full service completed and good to go for her last Mot

You don't care about any of that tho? You just want some nice pics of the coolest golf ever.

Here ya go!

IMG_20220404_181622.jpg IMG_20220404_175842.jpg IMG_20220404_175833.jpg

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Love this car and glad to hear it's back on the road.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Do you know what did your gearbox in?

See my videos, Tom AFH
There are too many online users to list.