Skip navigation

My mk1 - ex Impact/Dubsport car

Back to the top

My mk1 - ex Impact/Dubsport car

Thanks mate
HCL isn't mine but I know the lad who owns it now. Pretty sure he's putting a 20v in it because it came without the G60 motor

Edit
Managed to fit the engine last night without using a hoist. Basically jacked the car up, walked the engine into the bay, lowered the car around it then climbed in and lifted it up while my mate popped the bolts in.

Last edit: by MR_LONG

Back to the top
I've been plugging away with putting the car back together over the last week.
No huge progress but have managed to get the driveshafts in - this took a while because I literally got them all bolted up then realised I'd forgot the washer things on the flanges.
The turbo is temporarily bolted up untill I get some aero locking nuts and I've trial fitted the rusty downpipe which I think I'm just going to have to put up with untill I can afford to get a stainless made up.

Its going to be tight getting the inlet side of the turbo sorted

Oh and painted my wiper motor to realise that when you bolt it up its pretty much hidden - DOH!

Back to the top
Wow looking great Mr Long. Well done. And as for the wiper motor even though its hidden it gives you great satisfaction knowing it looks great.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Your engine bay is looking great, and doesn't matter if you don't see much of the wiper, at least you know it's on a par witht the rest  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks very much. I've popped the front grill and headlights on cos I was getting impatient (check out the invisible wiper motor) and now starting with the wiring (which I'm not looking forward to). Its been that long since I took the cars to bits I can't remember where the cables are meant to route.

Back to the top
Looking great so far Mr Long. Well done  :thumbs: Bet your happy that you've done the wiper motor now.  :lol:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Its been over 2 months and neither of the cars look any different really. The original car still isn't in paint but least I've got another to keep myself busy

I've managed to extend the loom and get a few other bits and pieces on the G60T done including getting it to run after quite a lot of head scratching (turned out I had the dizzy out by 90 degrees - still don't know how)

The next jobs on the list are to get the cooling system plumbed in and sort out the intercooler side of things……

Back to the top
Just a small update but hopefully things should start progressing again with the ex-Impact mk1. The engine bay and underside of the shell has been blasted this morning  and so we'll hopefully see some paint getting applied by the weekend.
its highlighted a couple more spots that need repairing and that the passenger side chassis leg has been half replaced in the past (not the best of jobs)

Back to the top
I've not made a huge amount of progress with the mk1's lately although I don't seem to have stopped working.

I managed to get hold of a second roof support and have got that welded in now. Just need to paint the underside before I try fitting the roof (not looking forward to that)

I've bought an intercooler and been working out how to mount it using some of the original holes in the front panel. A simple piece of aluminium angle, alloy tube and some bolts should do it.

And I've finally mocked up my boost pipes so thats the next thing to order. Not a million miles away now.

Back to the top
Love it - both of them and even more that they haven't been chopped up and broken but brought back to life properly

Back to the top
Loving your car mate propper build 

Back to the top
Wow!!  :cool:  :wub:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for the compliments guys. I can finally see daylight at the end of the tunnel (for the red car at least).
I finally got the roof fitted at the weekend. I was going to paint the braces etc before hand but ended up with overspray all over the outside (still got to clean it off) so thought it would be easier with the roof on.
Here it is with the sikaflex applied

And then all taped down

Then came the painting of the inside

Theres still a little finishing off to do along the gutters but its another job closer to getting it on the road  :cool:

Back to the top
Tidy  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Engine bay looking great, as is the roof  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks lads. I'm starting to believe I might actually drive a nice Mk1 for the first time in a while
My red hoses and lengths of alloy pipe turned up the other day. First I had to get the fitting for the C02 sensor welded in (took it to Advanced Radiators in Scotswood) and then had to try polishing them up because the straight lengths didn't match the polished elbows. They're not as good but not a million miles away considering I just wet sanded them and finished with some autosol

Just need the brake & clutch lines sorting now before its MOT time  :o

Back to the top
Got her insured and pretty much ready for her MOT (booked for Friday). Thought I better see if she would actually move and stop so pulled her out the garage last night and went around the estate. First time I've driven a car without a brake servo but it suprising didn't make a huge difference. Was getting quite a bit of smoke from the back of the engine but it didn't smell like exhaust so I'm hoping its just due to things getting hot for the first time since everythings been painted.

Oh and couldn't bleed the calipers for some reason so eneded up fitting some Audi Coupe calipers I had (now 256mm dics)

Next on the list is to get the carpet cleaned and fitted with the passenger seat and some rear cards for the boot and a new 2.5" exhaust on the 13 May

Back to the top
looks stunning, you should be very proud  :thumbs:

matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.