Skip navigation

My 83 abf air ride project

Back to the top
lovely looking motor mate, plan on bagging my abf when its all rebuilt but its still early days at the moment.

what i want to ask though is how do you find the carbs, what carb setup are you using and any idea what sort of power you are chucking out?

will be keeping an eye on this thread (Y)

Back to the top
I'm sure people will disagree but I find the carb setup better than the fuel injection. I'm running keihin zx636 carbs from a mid 90s bike with 180 main jets. The engine has high lift cams, fully polished and flowed ports and the crank has been balenced and it's putting out about 180bhp.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits 

Back to the top

sallyandsean said

I'm sure people will disagree but I find the carb setup better than the fuel injection. I'm running keihin zx636 carbs from a mid 90s bike with 180 main jets. The engine has high lift cams, fully polished and flowed ports and the crank has been balenced and it's putting out about 180bhp.

Thats epic, thats mega spec for an 800kg car! bet thats a ball of fun to drive! Like a go-kart! lol

I've been looking between the ZX9R or the R1 carbs mainly or sticking to standard management, but no idea which route to follow, High Lift cams will happen at a later date but to start with to get it running i think i'm gonna go standard setup just gas flow the head and get a decent setup for carbs.

Back to the top

Gazza_VWmk1 said

sallyandsean said

Thats epic, thats mega spec for an 800kg car! bet thats a ball of fun to drive! Like a go-kart! lol

I've been looking between the ZX9R or the R1 carbs mainly or sticking to standard management, but no idea which route to follow, High Lift cams will happen at a later date but to start with to get it running i think i'm gonna go standard setup just gas flow the head and get a decent setup for carbs.

That sounds good but personally I think your better on a abf with smaller 600cc bike carbs. People will tell you that you need to change to the kr dizzy and stuff but don't listen to them as it sparks great with the abf dizzy and standard management just make sure the manifold can take a balance bar to plug a vacuum to the brake servo but more importantly to the abf ecu. This will save hours of work and hundreds of pounds.

Back to the top
ah fair i havent fully looked into that yet but what i was planning was carbs and doing away with the ECU management and using a facet pump and fuel pressure control etc.

i'll also be going for a bias pedal box so will be no servo in the car so not sure how that will work.

I will have to do more research. =]

Back to the top

Gazza_VWmk1 said

ah fair i havent fully looked into that yet but what i was planning was carbs and doing away with the ECU management and using a facet pump and fuel pressure control etc.

i'll also be going for a bias pedal box so will be no servo in the car so not sure how that will work.

I will have to do more research. =]

If you don't have a servo then no need to worry and if doing away with management them megasquirt is the way to go!!

Back to the top
Very happy chap today. Mot pass with no advisories  :)

Back to the top
After passing mot I thought I would take care of a few small jobs, mainly spacing the wheels to what I would like. Here are a few pictures of where I'm now at with it.

Back to the top
Back from the paint shop after having a few panels re done.

Back to the top
Been having a few problems with the carbs running like s##t . Today I stripped them down cleaned them and put new rubbers on. Running like a dream now.

Back to the top
Spent a bit of time on the engine bay as wires were a bit untidy, also got a new set of carb stacks that fit a bit better!!!!

Back to the top
Good work :thumbs:

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.