Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top
im loving this build all the areas you have repaired i've got to do an that i've seen how you did it it will differently  help me i hope LOL

Back to the top
That's some neat work - think the box is a great idea but would like to have seen it slightly taller. What a difference sanding those welds back makes  :thumbs:

Back to the top
After all the welding and sanding was finished there was one more issue to address, the rusty sunroof! Every car I have ever had with a sunroof has leaked, so I have a strong dislike towards them!

Now you see it!

Now you dont!

The plan is to bond on a carbon roof skin or even maybe try a cheaper route and bond on a non sunroof model metal skin if it would be possible?

Next up I moved the car from my work premises back into my workshop and keyed the primer on the underside with scotchbrite.

Some new arrivals!

First up was to seam seal all the joins etc.

Masked up.

Top tip…. The front wishbone mount makes a great tape dispenser :lol:

Then I gave the underside 2 coats of epoxy mastic 121

Then more masking up was done so that I could give the arches a couple of coats of the anti stone chip paint.

Arches sprayed!

And finished.

Next week I will be phoning round bodyshops for quotes on getting the shell painted!  :thumbs:

Thats all for now.  :)

Back to the top
Nice work again Jimi, I'm getting some of that Epoxy mastic myself, looks a nice job.

That roof scares me though O_o

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Nice work again Jimi, I'm getting some of that Epoxy mastic myself, looks a nice job.

Cheers andy! The epoxy mastic 121 is good stuff and the finish is superb!

I was a little aprehensive about cutting the roof at first but after speaking with Andrew at Lwsdesign he put my mind at ease.  :thumbs:
I really fancy the carbon roof!  :)

Back to the top
Great work!  :cool:

Do you need to put stone chip over the 121 or is that job done now? (Curious only, not criticising as the finish is spot on!)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Great work!  :cool:

Do you need to put stone chip over the 121 or is that job done now? (Curious only, not criticising as the finish is spot on!)

Thanks mate! I dont think that it is essential to put the stone chip on as the 121 is extremely hard and durable, and can be used as a standalone paint. I just decided to do it for that little bit extra protection and it may also help to dampen the sounds of stones flicking up etc. :)  

Back to the top

Jimievo said

Melteddrummer said

Cheers andy! The epoxy mastic 121 is good stuff and the finish is superb!

I was a little aprehensive about cutting the roof at first but after speaking with Andrew at Lwsdesign he put my mind at ease.  :thumbs:
I really fancy the carbon roof!  :)

Defo go for the carbon roof mate, they look awesome and I'm sure they have a lot more of a clue than me!!

I'll look forward to the next instalment :thumbs:

Back to the top
Lovely job  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking good buddy.  :cool:

Back to the top

Cero said

Lovely job  :thumbs:

smudger said

Looking good buddy.  :cool:

Cheers lads!

Back to the top
Awesome work matey. Hats off.

will be watching this as I may be doing the same with the roof.

Have you decided carbon or metal skin?

btw. Did you have welding experience before you started this project?

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top

hysteric said

Awesome work matey. Hats off.

will be watching this as I may be doing the same with the roof.

Have you decided carbon or metal skin?

btw. Did you have welding experience before you started this project?

Thanks mate. I'll be going with a carbon roof skin, as I really like that look.

I plan to get the body shop to bond it on when they do the painting. Its going to be a few weeks away as they are pretty busy at the moment.

I could already weld before I started, although I had never welded such thin metel. With a decent welder and a bit of practice you will find a technique which works well.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Really impressive work!  :wub:   Clear dedication gone into everything you've done  :cool:

Back to the top
Well been a while since last update, had a little time off it during the summer, but its now time to get started again.

I decided to paint the complete underside with the stonechip paint as I liked the finish it gave and figured the more protection the better.

Here are some pics.

Underside keyed and masked

And painted

Also as time has gone on I have decided to fit series 2 bumpers, so I needed to re cut the holes I had previously welded up so here is a pic of wings and doors fitted and the front bumper mounted.

And next, the most exciting bit, the shell and panels loaded up and on the way to the bodyshop to be painted! 

Will be with the bodyshop for 4-6 weeks, got plenty to do while it is away, rear beam, wishbones etc.

Back to the top
Happy days Jimi, she's looking good :thumbs:  you've got the waist lines spot on! You'll be getting yours back when mine goes away :)

Back to the top
Small update… Loads of bits to get on with while shell is in bodyshop.

Front wishbones stitch welded before being sent to sandblasters.

G60 front calipers stripped 

Attacked with wire brush wheel.

Painted and rebuilt with new seals, rubber boots etc.

Carbon roof skin has arrived  :cool: , excellent quality and is as light as a feather! Will be dropping it off to the bodyshop on monday.

And lastly a sneaky pic of the shell at the bodyshop last saturday

I have got lots of other bits cleaned up and in primer, and will be getting parts back from sandblaster in week and nuts and bolts back from platers! 

Thats all for now cheers :)  

Back to the top
Nice update Jimi, that roof looks a nice bit kit :$

Back to the top
This is lovely keep it up! Where did u find the carbon roof?

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Nice update Jimi, that roof looks a nice bit kit :$
Cheers Andy :thumbs:

Ozkar said

This is lovely keep it up! Where did u find the carbon roof?

Thanks, I got the roof from lws designs, there is also a few other carbon bits for the mk1 which they produce which I am interested in.  :)
There are too many online users to list.