Skip navigation

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, R1 Carbs. Nurburgring Nordschleife

Back to the top

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, OZ turbo's. R1 Carbs

Hi mate looks mint!

Can i ask a couple of questions? I am running the sme set up, I am running a 1.8 kr block with kr cams so same same, I am interested I need to lower my alternator what bracket are you running? Also what have you done with the breather on the front of the block? Can you post photos? Thanks

Guy i bought mine off said it was running around 165 yes thats a standard kr so with your block and head possibly more!

Help would be a appreciated! Thanks
Paddy

Diamond Silver s1 gti 1.8 16v on R1 Carbs
Aygo Blue 2010 1.0 vvt (Daily Hack)
Past \'82 1.5 glx cabby converted to 1.9 tsr RIP

Back to the top

Mk1pat said

Hi mate looks mint!

Can i ask a couple of questions? I am running the sme set up, I am running a 1.8 kr block with kr cams so same same, I am interested I need to lower my alternator what bracket are you running? Also what have you done with the breather on the front of the block? Can you post photos? Thanks

Guy i bought mine off said it was running around 165 yes thats a standard kr so with your block and head possibly more!

Help would be a appreciated! Thanks
Paddy

Its just a standard arm holding the alternator mate. Maybe use a larger belt so you can drop yours down some more.

My breather is pointing straight down at the mo so used oil drops on the ground. I'am either going to fit a catch tank or i'am going to point it up and fit a filter on the end so only gas will exit and the oil will drop back down when not under pressure.

My 9a when injected ran 164 at the fly. Should be more now.

I'll update with new bhp on wednesday

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top

caddyrage said

looks awsome mate. Black mk1 in low light = perfect picture.
What else was done for 164 at flywheel in 9a mate?

82 Golf Gti. The snail project (abf turbo one day)

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top
Ha ha. just read that thats your daily what are ya thinking lol bet thats a mint drive to and from work everyday so so jealous

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top
Just got back from the rolling road

Carbs now balanced, mixture sorted and dizzy timing done.

194bhp(fly) @ 6700rpm in 3rd gear  :D . Worked out at 96mph aswell so looks like i'll only need 3 gears for the strip.

All due to the high ratio's of the Turbo diesel gearbox i fitted.

Runs so much smoother now. Would be hard to tell it was carbed when cruising tbh.

Now off back out to drop the front end down so she's tracking right again

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Top stuff.  I was so close to fitting some zx9rs but dont think il cope with the fuel economy. Ya should get a video posted mate.
What else has been done to the engine?

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top
Top stuff.  I was so close to fitting some zx9rs but dont think il cope with the fuel economy. Ya should get a video posted mate.

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top

possle said

looks awsome mate. Black mk1 in low light = perfect picture.
What else was done for 164 at flywheel in 9a mate?

Just standard other than KR cams, K&N panel filter and just properly sorted on the rollers mate. Always worth the money to have your car properly set up.

Yeah, she's my daily when needed for work. When there's no overtime, i lift share with my wife though.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top

possle said

My mate runs the zx9r carbs. We found out today that they are easier to work on.

Not sure what economy is like but i got a decent drive to do on friday so i'll try work out what mpg i get.

My mate got a few vids so i'll link them up later.

The engine is now standard 9a block, ported and semi polished head, kr cams, k&n cone filters, bosch super 4 plugs with dubpower ht leads.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
i thought to get a proper reading the rolling road needed to be done in 4th gear not 3rd

Back to the top

calico said

i thought to get a proper reading the rolling road needed to be done in 4th gear not 3rd

Your right but the td box has higher ratio's which equalled to greater speeds at lower rpm than normal

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Was my Sister inlaws wedding up near lincoln this weekend so i thought i'd fit the turbo's and go up in style  :)

Planned on taking it to the church and getting a few pic's of it with this

But, i woke up saturday morning to see my golf covered in white stuff!

So i decided to leave it as it would've taken ages to warm up. Gem had driven up in the trusty ibiza anyway.

Pic of it warming up this morning in front of the main door at branston hall hotel

Gave it a wash when i got home then went for a spin with my mate in his abf/zx9r carbed mk1

Cant wait for some good weather so i can put the power down  :D

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
I hate that white stuff!  BTW really nice motors! :D

Back to the top
Nice little package arrived today containing some shiney things  :D

Radinox lips and stainless bolts  8)

Bling

As i've paid out a fair bit for them, it would only be right to give the centres a fresh coat too. Intend on getting them done and built up a week before UD.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Wheels painted yesterday

Just built 2 of them up. Bolts torqued to 30nm

Check the reflection of a commercial that was on my TV lol

Will get the other 2 done tomorrow then i'll run a skinny seal round them. Another skim of sealer on monday then tyres back on next saturday

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Wow, they look like brand new wheels. :wink:

i hope my wheels look like yours in some days :lol:

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top

GTInCyprus said

Wow, they look like brand new wheels. :wink:

i hope my wheels look like yours in some days :lol:

Cheers mate.

More stainless steel

Dubpower 4 branch with riser to connect to the jetex 2.5in system i already have

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
manny looks nice mate, got one on mine but unsure what make it is

Back to the top
Update…

I decided to splash out on a bogg bros inlet to replace the steel inlet. Main reason was so the ports were the same size and aligned better. My carbs kept slipping due to me needing to squash the hose down onto the carbs skinny mounting lip.

I also purchased some 45mm 4 ply silicone hose, new inlet gasket and a new diesel rad as one i painted up and fitted before UD started leaking.

After fitting the new rad, a new thermostat and genarally tidying a few things, i then fitted the bogg inlet. Offered the carbs up to find this…

As you can see, they dont line up. After thinking bogg made a boo boo, i then investigated to find that the twerp that i bought the carbs off edition38 had actually sold me some Thunderace Carbs, Not R1 carbs as his add said  :angry: .

I decided to order some R1 carbs in the end and today they arrived

As both sets are for 1000cc yamaha's, both being mikuni's. I checked to see if the main jets could be swappped and as luck would have it, they could

Cut some joiners from the hose and glued them to the carbs before clamping them with skinny 9mm jubilee's.

On they went

Bled the fuel up, applied some choke then after a few turns, she fired up again. Just need to set it up properly now

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
shame about getting the wrong carbs. at least u got everything sorted now
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.