Skip navigation

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, R1 Carbs. Nurburgring Nordschleife

Back to the top

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, OZ turbo's. R1 Carbs

Collected my powder coated rocker cover and inlet today

Cant really see the colour as it was dark

Need to sort another top rad hose as the carbs hit the one thats on there now

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
Loving the work mate. Are the tyres on the OZ Turbo's 185/45 all round? I have just got some Turbo's for mine and want to make them 7.5 and 8.

Cheers.

Back to the top

Chidz said

Loving the work mate. Are the tyres on the OZ Turbo's 185/45 all round? I have just got some Turbo's for mine and want to make them 7.5 and 8.

Cheers.

Cheers mate

Yeah the tyres are 185/45's all round. Nankang ns2's.

Kumho also do that size but i've never found someone that stocks them

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Just read it through from the start, you've put some serious work in there, very well done.

Back to the top
Yeah I already have Nankang 185's on the wheels on my golf at the minute so will use them.

Cheers dude.

Back to the top

Cero said

Just read it through from the start, you've put some serious work in there, very well done.

Cheers man. There's more to come

Done some more to the golf today with a helping hand from my mate who has and ABF'd mk1 on ZX9R carbs.

Knocked up a brake servo to inlet vacuum pipe then turned my attention to mounting the carbs.

No way that the Head water flange will work due to the height/drop of the carbs so got on the phone to bogg bros who are going to make 1 on monday and send out same day for tuesday delivery. Now thats service.

Anyway, although the water circuit could'nt be complete, it did'nt stop us from getting other stuff sorted

Cut up some new black silicone hose to join the carbs to the inlet then checked for clearance to the bonnet and rad with the filters on

All looked lovely so then it was a case of making a throttle cable up. Took some time doing this but got there in the end and all works correctly.

Cut and fitted the fuel lines. Infeed being the pipe under number 2 carb

Oiled up the cams before fitting the rocker cover and dizzy with leads.

Few turns of the key to bring the fuel up gave us a problem. She forced fuel out the FPR. Obviously the fuel pump and accumilator are much too high a pressure for what i need. I know others have done it this way so i can only think its because my pump is basically brand new as some of you may know the previous seized on my way back from a cambs meet.
Now going to fit a Facet red top when i find one.

Nevertheless, after the fuel had stopped seeping from the FPR. I turned it over a few times before she fired into life  :) . Obviously stopped it shortly after due to not having any coolant.

Was well pleased she fired up and as i was sat in the car, i relied on my mates who said she sounded great. Sweeeeeeeet!

Not long til she's back on the road now  :D

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Very jealous…

I have most of what I need to do this, until I realised the KR block has had it. I really want to do this some time down the line, so please make sure you post up jet sizings etc when you are happy with how it runs…

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

Very jealous…

I have most of what I need to do this, until I realised the KR block has had it. I really want to do this some time down the line, so please make sure you post up jet sizings etc when you are happy with how it runs…

Excuse to swap to 2L bottom end then mate  :D

The carbs have aparently already been jetted to 190 by the previous owner who had them on an ABF.

Will be rolling roading after a couple of hundred miles and done an oil change so i'll update with whats what then

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
My Carb friendly water flange arrived today from bogg bros

Pleased with how quick they got 1 out to me but when i got home, i offered it up to the knackered spare head i have. 1 of the bolt holes was out of line by around 4mm so had to elongate it so it worked. Good job i tested it first.

I also was'nt happy with the internal port in the flange, see pic. Although its only water, i believe this would restrict the flow of it

I dremelled it out so it'll flow better

I also collected my new Facet red top pump last night so i now have the parts hopefully to finish the carb set up off  :) . Too dark when i get home from work so aiming to get it done saturday morning.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Ok, i had a set back in the week when i found out my bogg brothers flange was'nt made correctly to line up with my hoses.

Thankfully i managed to find a guy who would tig it up the way i wanted it on a saturday.

After the F1 quailifying i started work on the car again.

Modified water flange mounted and a suitable top rad hose found amongst my spares fitted

Like a glove!

Next job was the facet fuel pump

A lot of trial and error was to be had when doing this as i wanted to use the original fuel pump bracket to hold the facet closer to the outfeed of the tank. Again, this was'nt going to work due to lack of room but in the end i used the original accumiltors bracket to mount the facet further back and then just used longer lines.
No pic of this at the mo as i dropped it off the axle stands to see if it would work first.

Battery back on then after a good few turns of the key, we had fire in the hole  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lTKcxmEbU

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Pic of the facet fuel pump mounted using the gti's original accumilator bracket which was a perfect fit

After the F1 today, i fitted the filters and set the gear linkage up before going on a test drive.

My god its responsive :D

Going to get a few miles under its belt, do an oil change then have it rolling roaded so its spot on :thumbs_up

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
That sounds spot on mate. Is there much power differance?

Back to the top
Yeah, i think so mate. Been a while since i last drove it though. Rolling road will answer your question as i using the same place that set my injection up. That was 164bhp.

Need to source a mk1 golf choke cable as she's poo on starting

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Did you polish the inlet ports?

Back to the top

tomsdubs said

Did you polish the inlet ports?

I did but round the valve guide area in the ports is rough. The inlet is'nt polished either so there should be plenty turbulance for the fuel/air to mix.

Now booked in at rolling road next wednesday too
Also have an original mk1 golf choke cable to fit

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Ah - now i'm even more jealous!!!!!

Sounds great.
Have these Carbs been on a car before? What has been changed in the carbs from the set up as they were on the bike for it to start and run so smoothly?
Have the jets been drilled and have the main needles (or tubes or whatever they are called) been spaced up, as I have read you have do do this to get enough fuel at tick over?

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

Ah - now i'm even more jealous!!!!!

Sounds great.
Have these Carbs been on a car before? What has been changed in the carbs from the set up as they were on the bike for it to start and run so smoothly?
Have the jets been drilled and have the main needles (or tubes or whatever they are called) been spaced up, as I have read you have do do this to get enough fuel at tick over?

Hi mate
I got the carbs and inlet off a guy that had them on an ABF in which he said, 'could do with setting up properly'. His ad said they was drilled to 190(main jets). I have'nt bothered to investigate if its true.
Going to see how she does on the rolling road on wednesday before i fit larger jets.

Its damn quick though. Traction is a big problem now lol

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Passed MOT  :)

Only note was the drivers side ball joint has a little play so i'll swap them both.

Also found out that my fuel return line has been leaking and from the looks of it, it happened when i hit a log in the road some time ago. No bother as its not needed for the carbs so i'll chop it back and cap it off closer to the tank.

Gave it some beans on the way home, my god does it go now  8O  8)

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Done a few more bits to the golf today

Removed the return fuel line as it was leaking, blocked it off at the tank instead.
Also fitted a Choke cable as my R1 carbs like a bit when starting from stone cold.

Tidied up abit so my bay now looks like this

Rolling roading the car on wednesday so i thought i'd use today to jack the front up as it'll be dark by the time i'am home in the week.

:redfaced:

07 Leon FR TDI daily

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.