Skip navigation

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, R1 Carbs. Nurburgring Nordschleife

Back to the top

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, OZ turbo's. R1 Carbs

How do you like it?  Did it steal any bottom end power?

Back to the top

RoadBoss said

How do you like it?  Did it steal any bottom end power?

Yeah its alright mate. Its heavy so i recommend poly exhaust hangers as the rubbers supplied with the system have either split or cracking. I need to get some polys ordered before anymore break.

I fitted the system when i did the conversion so i've not really noticed any bottom end power loss. I did have a cruise in it earlier though and she'll pulled in third gear from only doing 10mph.

Only thing i'd like to change about it is the tailpipe, would'nt mind something with a straight cut rather than a rolled end.

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
Done a few bits to the golf over the past week or so

Shortened the duckbill spoiler then smoothed and retextured it so its now a 1 peice item like the CL type.

Fitted some rado seats and added some 5mm spacers to the rear

Here's some pic's from my weekend with the caddy owners club in emberton park

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
looking good m8

Back to the top
Well, what a great week i've(we've) had

Having seen pic's of the good turnout at the last mk1 bash(09), i thought i'd give it a go this time round.

It was the same weekend that i was due to go on a weeks break to the lake district so rather than head back after the show to jump in the much comfortable and economical ibiza pd 130, we loaded the golf up and decide to do the lot  

Only camped the 1 night so we took the little dome tent to save on space in the little golf

Sunday show day

Good job i took my MTB as i needed it to bike to the local town retail park to get some cash for another strutbrace i bought, ended up biking it twice as the wife did'nt put my card back in my wallet lol.

Was a good show and was quite pleased to see folks pick my car as there favourite of the day, considering there was the likes of jason's lemon S1 and lee's silver S1 there. Jason's only missing out to a BBQ lol.
Anyway, show time over so it was off back to the tent to wrap up and make another 3hr odd journey north to bowness on windermere.

Ambleside

Hard knot pass, apparently the most dangerous road in england so the sign said. Unfortunately i did'nt get the privilege to drive this so acted as camera man instead.

Walked/climbed up scafell pike via the hard route. Highest mountain in england. Here's a pic to show the visability at the top

Really enjoyed it so it looks like i'll be attempting snowdon next and then ben nevis.

Following day, we set off to go grizedale forest so i could do the north face red route mtb trail. Took the ferry accross the lake

On arrival to the forest parking, i got beached on a cobble speed hump. Had to get out and with a passer by, we lifted the car enough for it to get over lol.

Yesterday, we started our drive back. Massive traffic congestion on the M6 took ages to get by. We left at around half 1 and got to leicester for around 7pm where i collected another gearbox. Home for around 9pm

526 mile round trip and around 85 quids worth of fuel. Did'nt miss a beat.

Now time to go clean all the dirt off and get it nice for london volksfest tomorrow

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Not done much to my golf for a while as i been working pretty much all the hours under the sun.

I have treated the car to a new alpine headunit that glows green to match the clocks though and today i received my new steering wheel    8)

MOMO team 300mm

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Ahhhh, sp this is where you post it all!... looks awesome.

Back to the top
Beautiful picture!

Back to the top
Jumped in the golf this morning and made my way to work

Noticed that if i gave it some rev's(3k+), it acted like it was running on 3 cylinders   

Anyway, i went work as usual by just cruising(how boring on B roads lol).

No problems on my way home but decide to check it over and inspected the plugs to find they all drip with oil   

Look down the chambers

1 has some sludge
2 looks to be fine
3 sludge again
and 4 is glossy black with oil

Great hey

Suspected head gasket failure but i'll be stripping it down to find out tomorrow. I do have a spare head from the 1.8kr i used to have which i could get rebuilt.

Nevermind  :roll:

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Few pic's of my stripped down engine

Check out the exhaust valves lol

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top

Back to the top
R1 carbs and inlet finally arrived  :)

My new valve compressor also turned up so the heads now totally stripped ready for some work tomorrow

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
This morning, i set about port matching the inlet to the head

I also decided to delete the WUR mount on the head as it wont be used with carbs. It took a little time to do but i'am sure you'll agree it was worth it

I got a little carried away and ground down other rough areas along with the writing on the front.

Then before i had to call it a day as i was off out, i knife edged the internal fins of the inlet ports

I need to de-bur everything now before i set about doing any polishing i may do

Its also being sent away to be skimmed and have new valve guides as there was a bit too much play.

No rush as i still have other parts to order

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
My missus dropped my head off at the engine shop this morning for them to check it over as i was'nt happy with how much play there was with the valves. Turns out that it needs all valve guides replacing along with 2 inlet valves and also a skim so i've decided to scrap it as the cost for repair will outway any gains.

I do however have my spare head which came from an 1.8kr i originally fitted in the caddy til i upgraded to the 9a.

Soon as i'd got home and sorted some jobs, i stripped my spare head to inspect the valve guides.

All the guides look good and so does the valves so once i've done some work to the ports, i'll get it rebuilt with the new stem seals i have.

Does mean i going to spend time cutting the WUR mounting point off again though

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Ok, i've pretty much done working on the head.

Areas around the valve guides could do with more work but i calling it a day as i need to get my car back up and running.

Some pic's

Inlet port

Exhaust ports had some attention too, mainly to get rid of the casting marks

Deleted WUR mounting point

I also buzzed down the writing on the top.

Finished tonight with spraying wheel cleaner on it ready for a jet wash tomorrow to get rid of any debris from cutting, grinding, sanding etc.

I also going to drop my rocker cover and inlet off to get them blasted and powder coated

Once i've run the valves over my mop, i should be lapping them in and rebuilding the head sometime tomorrow too

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
1x rebuilt head  :D

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
good work mr rage. guna sound brutal with them carbs onit!

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top

boyle_sbd said

good work mr rage. guna sound brutal with them carbs onit!

Oh yeah!!

Been doing the odd few things to my golf over the last few days

Head is back on, cambelt sorted, exhaust manifold bolted back on and a few ancillaries sorted.

Also fitted a Turbo Diesel gearbox(4T code)for the taller 5th gear

The box has the smaller input shaft so i changed the clutch kit aswell.

All wired up again and awaiting on my powdered bits so i can finish

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Picked these up earlier which will be my dailys

Tyres being swapped for 45 series though

07 Leon FR TDI daily

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.