Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

As I have not made as much progress as expected this year, I have switched to plan B!

Put the car back together, drive it over Summer and then complete the paint work over next Winter/Spring.

GTI's are for driving, right?

Back to the top
During all this work the headlining has remained in the car, which has slowed down some of the work, as I didn't want to damage it with the welding etc.

So to speed up the process of refitting the interior and trim, I have bought a can of high performance contract adhesive from martrim.co.uk. Highly recommended if you have any trim you need to reattach. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Original sound proofing and front carpets now refitted. Quick vaccum and I'm over the moon at how great the condition still is. Especially for the sound proofing. :)

Back to the top
Looks great! Its awesome to see some original sound proofing that hasn't succumbed to rotting!  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Fausto said

Looks great! Its awesome to see some original sound proofing that hasn't succumbed to rotting!  :thumbs:

Thanks  :thumbs:  

It was definitely a bonus not to have rotted ones!

Back to the top
I picked up these from the local powder coaters this afternoon  :)

OEM+ height adjustable Custom seat subframes to allow fitment of side mounting bucket seats.

Very happy indeed with the finish. :wub: My welding and prep work doesn't look half bad once coated!! :lol:Direct fitting and are approx 50mm lower than originals  :thumbs: 

Back to the top
Those seat sliders look great. I,m running corbeau seats with omp mounts. But the extra adjustment would great. Love the club sport concept.

Back to the top

BlackonBlack said

Those seat sliders look great. I,m running corbeau seats with omp mounts. But the extra adjustment would great. Love the club sport concept.
Thanks  :thumbs:.

I did look at the OMP, Recaro and other off the shelf sub frames, before building my own.

I'm really pleased with the height of the sub frames too, compared to the original seats the new frames/seats are 50mm lower at the front and 30mm lower at the back, which makes a big difference to the driving position.
(Plus the centre of gravity will be lower..keeping up with the CS theme  ;))

Back to the top
This is the passenger side subframe.

They have been designed to sit as low as possible using the original mounting points, as you can see with the carpets in, they are pretty much spot on for height. Any lower and I think they would catch on the carpet on the centre tunnel. :thumbs: 

Back to the top
The problem I now found was that with the low position of the subframes, I can no longer use the subframe rear mounting points to attach the harnesses, as there is not enough gap between the subframe and centre tunnel.

So carpets back out, dremel and welder at hand, a harness backing plate has been installed.

To ensure a rust free installation, the plate and chassis base metal were weld-through zinc primered first, then the plate welded in place, then another couple of coats of zinc primer used, then some seam sealer and then painted.  :)The position of the backing plate has been carefully measured as per installation recommendations, but more on that soon.

Back to the top
Probably the most stressful job to date?

The fitting of a brand new genuine VW windscreen and new windscreen seal.

Bought from the main VW dealers about 4 years ago. At the time there were only 6 left in stock in the UK. :o

So after multiple attempts to fit, top of screen first, bottom of screen first, corners first etc etc, the screen was finally coax into fitting correctly by fitting the lower seal at the middle of the screen and working around both sides of the screen.

Back to the top
Lhasa2008,
Great build. Really enjoying following the rebuild.

Quick questions
Where did you get the air filter  and back blate for your r1 carbs. Also what year or model r1 are they off.

I also have 2.0 8v with cbr carbs but having troubles tuning due to fixed neddles.
What do you do for fresh air flow besides your 2 pipes/hoses?

Thanks
Pete.

Back to the top

Pete17 said

Lhasa2008,
Great build. Really enjoying following the rebuild.

Thanks  :thumbs:

Pete17 said

Quick questions
Where did you get the air filter  and back blate for your r1 carbs. Also what year or model r1 are they off.
The air filter and backing plate are from Demon Tweeks
If there was more space between the carbs and scuttle panel, it would have been nice fit a closed air box like this http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/universal-air-boxes/pipercross-600-series-sealed-airbox

I believe the R1 carbs are from circa 2008 model.

Pete17 said

I also have 2.0 8v with cbr carbs but having troubles tuning due to fixed neddles.
What do you do for fresh air flow besides your 2 pipes/hoses?

Thanks
Pete.
The R1 are great for tweaking. IIRC mine are now dropped down a notch and main jets drilled out to 190.
The main cold feed is just from the two pipes which draw cold air in from the lower front wing, but the exhaust manifold is wrapped, along with the inlet manifold and underneath of the bike carbs to help with heat management. :thumbs:

Back to the top
They say it's those little things in life that make all the difference…

In preparation for the MOT, I noticed that the handbrake dashboard light was not working. (I had also forgot to reconnect the speedo cable :lol:)

Thinking about it, I cannot actually remember ever seeing the handbrake light working tbh! However this is not a MOT failure, it is only a failure if the light stays on, rather than doesn't work at all! :PAnyway, fault now spotted and bulb identified, a quick trip to Halfords was in order to pickup one of these:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-286-car-bulb-x-1

With nibble fingers to fit the new bulb, the Handbrake light now working :thumbs:

:):):):):):):):):) 

Back to the top
Do you ever find loose change or parking tickets tucked away in hard to get a places?

Having remove the drivers seat I spotted a piece of paper underneath the seat:

On closer inspection it was a 1984 year toll bridge ticket :lol: 

Back to the top
:ninja: I'll just leave this here…..

Strip down in progress..

Back to the top
Quick picture from VW Festival '17.  Great display of MK1's  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Saw your car there, looked great. And your correct, there were plenty of nice mk1 golfs this year  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Saw your car there, looked great. And your correct, there were plenty of nice mk1 golfs this year  :thumbs:Matt
Thanks Matt. I found there was so much to see and not enough time just going on the Sunday. Only had chance to catchup with a few of the MK1 owners. Shame I never saw you.

What's your plans for yours? Did VW Festival help change your mind :thumbs:

Back to the top
Yeah, missed our annual chat  :lol:

No idea what I'm going to do, want to keep her and get her finished, still never driven a mk1 golf!!! Hopefully I can free some time up and crack on.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.