Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

Bit more progress today, A Pillar Gussets initially tacked into place and marked for full welding.

Gussets now fully welded into place, note that the originally interior vinyl trim still in place, but protected from heat/weld by using metal tape :)

Gusset and A Pillar bars finished in a coating of zinc rich (90%)  galvanised primer.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I managed to make a start on repairing the screen last weekend.

So I ordered plenty of dremel cutting discs

And both screen repair panels from VW heritage

Back to the top
Right hand side rust cut out

Back to the top
Left hand side:

And hopefully the remaining part of the repair panel can now be used to repair the top of the screen :thumbs: 

Back to the top
Just a quick update. I've seen a few modified seat bases to allow the mounting of bucket seats, so I picked up a pair of GTI seats at the weekend (Thanks MalC!) to try this out.

Great condition too :thumbs:

It's a bit of a shame to then strip them down!

To get a height adjustable seat base.

Next I need to remove the seat base and start welding in a new seat frame.

Back to the top
It's been a while since I started the engine, so dashboard is now back in to allow the car to be restarted without any electric gremlins,

Dashboard has been carefully refitted around the A pillar roll cage bars, allowing the main air vents to be also reconnected.

Back to the top
all the gti seat parts will sell seperatly to guys wantign to rebuild theirs, obv bin off the damaged foams as they're no good. even damaged fabrics can be of use for retrims

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

all the gti seat parts will sell seperatly to guys wantign to rebuild theirs, obv bin off the damaged foams as they're no good. even damaged fabrics can be of use for retrims

The damaged foam in the picture is from the drivers side seat. The passenger seat foams and fabrics are undamaged.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
A little bit more work completed on the seat bases done today.

Spot welds removed and seat bottoms removed.

The drivers seat (right hand side) is high adjustable and sits about two inches lower than a standard seat :)If you do plan on using MK2 seats in a MK1, bear in mind that you need to switch over the seat forward/back release lever. The lever on the MK2 seats are on the opposite side to a MK1 seat. So that will be the next job on the list to do.

Back to the top
In preparation before getting the car booked into the body shop for paint, Martin from Paintless Dent Removals in East Yorkshire has done his magic on the doors and front wings today.

Before

Afterwards:

The roof dent was a little problematic, due to having the roll cage and headlining in the way the only option was the pull the dent out rather than push from underneath.  Only consideration was the risk of pulling of the paint, which can be just seen in the photo below. Not a big issue, as the roof will be sanded down and re-painted anyway.

Back to the top
It always amazes me on what pros can do getting rid of dents

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Little bit more work on the seats.

Passenger side rear bracket spot welds removed and reattached to the other side.

Rear bracket for release mechanism on drivers seat relocated.

Result! Direct fitting, height adjustable seat base for just just a few quid  :thumbs:They will be getting a sand down and repaint in due course.  :) 

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

In preparation before getting the car booked into the body shop for paint, Martin from Paintless Dent Removals in East Yorkshire has done his magic on the doors and front wings today.

Before

Afterwards:

The roof dent was a little problematic, due to having the roll cage and headlining in the way the only option was the pull the dent out rather than push from underneath.  Only consideration was the risk of pulling of the paint, which can be just seen in the photo below. Not a big issue, as the roof will be sanded down and re-painted anyway.

Serious work going into this. Martin did the dents on my golf shell too, he does a really good job.
Are you local to Hull?

Back to the top

chrisL said

Serious work going into this. Martin did the dents on my golf shell too, he does a really good job.
Are you local to Hull?

Thanks.

I'm more over towards York than Hull. Martin was in my area, so took the advantage of him knocking out a few dinks!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Just a quick bit of prep work done today.

Four spot weld holes drilled in the cage ID plate and shaped ready to attach to one of the bars on the roll cage.

(Bonnet also given a quick polish :$)

Back to the top
Hopefully I'll get chance to finish the screen work this weekend. One further patch of rotten metal cut out ready to be replaced with a new section.

Back to the top
Work now underway to weld in the harness bars, making sure that the bar lines up with the harness position of the seats.
iirc the bluebook states + or - 15%. Sparco quote + - 10%.

Tubing carefully shaped and left section welded in first.

Back to the top
New metal now welded in to both lower windscreen corners, and a quick coating of zinc rich primer to protect the new metal.

Back to the top
I managed a quick strip-down of the wiper spindles while the wiper mechanism is out of the car tonight.

Hopefully this will speed them up a bit. If not, I'll be looking to upgrade to a MK2 or MK3 motor. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Spindle clean-up can make a massive differnce

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
There are too many online users to list.