Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

pazwaa said

Just re-read your thread and saw this. A year late, but I got to chat to you eventually  :lol:Thanks for talking me through the finer points of bike carbs on Saturday, hopefully put it in to practice soon.

Matt

Hi Mate,

Aha. The penny has just dropped! O_o:$Good to speak to your on Saturday. It's always nice to put a forum name to a face.  Good luck with your ABF conversion. :thumbs:

Back to the top
I'd been meaning to put my car on the rolling road for sometime now to give me an idea of current power and torque curves.
So got booked in Saturday am and this is the result:

Pretty happy with that, considering it's still based on a MK1 DX 8v engine. :) 

Back to the top
One of the original water hoses split today, this is the second hose that has need to be replaced in the last six months. Both were the original genuine VW ones as fitted to the car from new!! So I guess they have lasted 31 years, which ain't too bad!

In the past I have only ever fitted genuine VW replacement parts, which is not an option now, as these genuine hoses have now been obsolete since 1991!!
So a big thank you for VW Heritage for fast delivery of a German quality replacement, and a perfect fit too. :thumbs:Hose replaced tonight and refilled with G13, so all fixed again :)

Back to the top
MOT time and unfortunately it failed on a brake imbalance on the n/s rear.

Took the car home and stripped the rear drum down to find a split rear wheel cylinder, which was leaking inside the drum O_o 

Back to the top
Rather than fixing the leaking cylinder problem, it made sense to actual get round to fitting the disk conversion instead. I'd got all the parts needed, but was planning on fitting them AFTER the MOT, not before!!

So I picked up the car from the MOT garage and got the spanners out..

Drums and original stub axle removed.

New Stub axle and shield installed.

Bearing and hub installed.

Caliper carrier and disk bolted on.

To avoid disturbing the rear axle brake hose connection (which are a pita to get to anyway..)  I left the original brakeline inplace, cut down to the new required length and then reflared the line.

Brakelines reconnected using Goodridge MK4 conversion hose.

Most difficult task, was getting those damn bearing covers on :banghead:With the left hand side now complete, time for the right hand side.

As I now knew what I was doing, the right hand side took no more than 30 minutes!

MK1 Scirocco 16v handbrake cables fitted perfectly (well nearly, just a tad shorter than the originals)

Job done!

Back to the top
So back off to the MOT garage for a retest. Pleased to say it past with flying colours and not a single advisory. :ocf_emoticons__icon_biggrin:Only downside was it was heavily raining when I came to pick the car up. ARRGGHH!!  :oFirst time it's seen any rain in over 6 years!!

Back to the top
Wow great job it looks perfect  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
This is an awesome project, I like that rear neuspeed brace, any idea if they're still available?

Back to the top

Beeno said

Wow great job it looks perfect  :thumbs:

Thanks.

I need to bed in the rear disks and pads now. Currently the rears feels a bit spongey.

Back to the top

Panch_mk1golf said

This is an awesome project, I like that rear neuspeed brace, any idea if they're still available?

I've just checked the main Neuspeed website and it's no longer listed. It must be only recently that Neuspeed has dropped doing them?

Neuspeed don't seem to do much for the MK1 now.  :(

Back to the top
Just the lower front brace as far as I can tell, cheers for looking though, shame really as neuspeed made some top stuff for mk1s

Back to the top
I guess there's not enough MK1 business for Neuspeed  anymore  :(

Their rear anti-roll bars are especially recommended.
Ideally the 28mm one, if you can find one.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice topic i have read it and so much things we have the same but did it in a different way nice to see  :thumbs:
Great car !!!!!!

Back to the top

Style said

Nice topic i have read it and so much things we have the same but did it in a different way nice to see  :thumbs:
Great car !!!!!!

Thanks. Working progress as they say. I've still got a few bits to sort out. Ride height and new rims are next on the list along with a respray..  :o

Back to the top
O boy respray, that's the crappy bit. Takes most time because everything has to be just right before you paint and all that prep work is a nightmare. But in the end all very much worth it.  :thumbs:  Best of luck man.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
MK1 drivers are  most of the time not done  :thumbs:  but you doing it in a smart way i parked mine 15 months in de garage……… and all that time no driving fun.

Back to the top

Beeno said

O boy respray, that's the crappy bit. Takes most time because everything has to be just right before you paint and all that prep work is a nightmare. But in the end all very much worth it.  :thumbs:  Best of luck man.

I've been putting the respray off for ages because of this.  Plus I want to avoid disturbing some of the original parts which are still in A1 condition, such as headlining etc

Back to the top

Style said

MK1 drivers are  most of the time not done  :thumbs:  but you doing it in a smart way i parked mine 15 months in de garage……… and all that time no driving fun.

This is the other reason why I have not have a full respray done yet. The car is too much fun to drive! Especially after driving a workhorse diesel all week.  :lol:

Back to the top
After doing absolutely nothing to the car over winter, except to fit a new temp sender as the original one was leaking from the plastic spade connector, I saved up over winter to treat the car to a set of these:   :) OzUltraleggera

Need to sort out some road tax today as the car is still SORN'd at the moment, then hopefully if the weather stays dry, get out for a quick drive. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Very nice  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.