Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf 16v - Full Body Restoration - Insta chrisqgolf

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf Driver - 16V project

Rich. said

Are you going to fit early metal bumpers? Not far off completion now :D

Ohhh, no no… My mk1 is a Series 2 Mk1, and it'll be wearing its S2 trim with pride :D S2 bumpers, arches, side and boot decals, A pillar Trim etc etc.  Save the Series 2's! ha ..

Yeah it's not far really, just need to spend actual days on it rather than a couple of hours here and there. I'm down there today actually, I may post up an update..

Back to the top
Yeah I know Issac, we only lived 100 metres from each other :lol:.

I haven't seen him in a while, he was working on his caddy when I moved from Tiverton.

Back to the top

Chris Quick said

Rich. said

Are you going to fit early metal bumpers? Not far off completion now :D
Ohhh, no no… My mk1 is a Series 2 Mk1, and it'll be wearing its S2 trim with pride :DS2 bumpers, arches, side and boot decals, A pillar Trim etc etc.  Save the Series 2's! ha ..

Yeah it's not far really, just need to spend actual days on it rather than a couple of hours here and there. I'm down there today actually, I may post up an update..

Ha, so is mine but I'm rebellious  :P plus have some new stainless series 1 bumpers to go on  :thumbs:If yours needs days to work on mine needs years with it's current state.

Look forward to the update :wub:

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top

Chris Quick said

Rich. said

Never got a chance to really do any meets in between doing the G60 conversion and now the R32  :lol:I was living up in Tiverton for several years and moved back to Exeter so hopefully should see me around when it's back on the road  :thumbs:Are you going to fit early metal bumpers? Not far off completion now :D

Aahh, don't suppose you know or ever saw Issacs Mk1 up in Tiverton? Thing of dreams that car…

lhasadreams said

What a lovely build, just ordered a boot cover as well!

I saw that there was a duplicate post in here, I have deleted it and you will be glad to know that we have got to the bottom of our performance issues!

ha, cheers for the kind words :thumbs: Your boot cover was packaged up yesterday and in the post today for you. Only requirement is you need to send pictures of it arrived and fitted :lol:Glad the forum is back up to speed. This website used to reload like 3/4 times before I could actually click on anything or sign in. 

Thanks mate!
Will be sure to post a picture up

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Not alot to update really, but thought I'd just compile some shots of everythings that happened from getting the car back from Resto Shack.

Finished off the Dynamat in the inside, doors and firewall -

Rear bumper went straight on -

My inlet manifold decided to snap off its vacuum assist outlet, so that had to come off and get welded on with a stronger outlet.

After that was fixed it came apprent that my brake servo was leaking vacuum. It was leaking from the back where the input shaft is, so I put this down to welding on a stud on the ford servo to convert it to accept the clevis pin and which had melted the seal. So that one came off and bought another and popped down to Noath and we made up this adapter piece.

Back to the top
New genuine VW window seals all round, genuine VW glass for the front quarters going in - 

Fan blower matrix and new motor back - 

A few more interior bits put back on - 

Check out those all black sun visors ;) 

Seats getting unwrapped 

Dashboard got some repairs - 

And fitted - 

Stainless steel bolts and new plastic dash washers - 

New underlay and carpet in - 

Lovely fitted matts from GavB95 - 

New drivers and passenger window holders, had to get these shipped from America  , got them welded abit too to hopefully not fall apart like the originals do. 

Beauty 

Back to the top
Replaced the rear lights for genuine Hella items -

Made an arch cover for all the wires on the inner wing -

And now some upsetting news, I found a chip at the top edge of my tailgate.. dont put the wrong bolts in your tailgate hinge guys     So had to get it off and back up to RestoShack to get sorted. 

Dave kindly repainted the whole tailgate again for me, its was just in such an awkward place and wanted it to be right. 

Yet to pick the tailgate up due to all this virus stuff at the moment, but taking the GTi decal up and we're going to get that fitted along with the window whilst its up there.

Front bumper went on, new wing bumper holders -

Then the day finally came, tune and a map. Car got packed up and headed over to Tipton Garage for a rolling road. 

A fun and exciting day to say the least, but came with some bad news also. After some test runs it was chucking out a bit of blue smoke, we tested the cylinders and all seemed fine bar cylinder 2 which was only holding 40% pressure, balls... so we have some blow by. Stephen advised that because the engine had sat so long and considering the rest of the rings were fine that the rings in cylinder two were stuck, mentioned to drive it for abit to see if they free up... so thats what I've decided i'll do this summer. But already got an eye on a friends ABF block that will probably be my winter project this year :D

Also noticed that my brakes were binding and were constantly on, I know exactly what this problem was but nothing I could fix there and then. When I put the brake servo back on I didn't put the clevis pin in the right place which meant the brakes just stayed on slightly, so that ended our power runs.

So I come away with the webers dialed in and tunned, and a graph that say's it produced just shy of 150bhp, which I actually didint think was to bad for a poorly KR lump. The car will go back once its MOTed for a final tune and map. Want to do a shout out for Stephen at tipton Garage, can totally understand why everyone I spoke to reconmends him for power runs, he really knows his beans especially for old cars on carbs :D

New Hella rear numper plate lights and some shots of her out in the sun... roll on this summer! 

Back to the top
Put some foam padding behind the door handle pull rod to stop rattles -

New wing/bonnet stablizer bushes -

And started making my owner door cards, which will get wrapped in some thin leather  -

Back to the top
Oh and some shots of the arch liner from inside the wheel well -

Back to the top
Absolutely amazing, well done! Love the arch loom cover as well.

Back to the top
Been following this on insta, great work!

Back to the top
Bloody lovely!!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Looking lovely mate, that's a pain about the boot hatch but RestoShack came to the rescue :)

Yeah they are good down at Tipton. Stephen and Richard Miles setup my 106 GTi when I had some Kent cams years ago.

I would take my r32 down to them for the final tune up but it needs a bit of coding to sort and Vince at Stealth said he will have a look at it for me.

Your almost there now, when this covid thing is over would be good to see it on the road. :thumbs:

Where are you getting your mot done?

Back to the top

Rich. said

Looking lovely mate, that's a pain about the boot hatch but RestoShack came to the rescue :)

Yeah they are good down at Tipton. Stephen and Richard Miles setup my 106 GTi when I had some Kent cams years ago.

I would take my r32 down to them for the final tune up but it needs a bit of coding to sort and Vince at Stealth said he will have a look at it for me.

You're almost there now, when this covid thing is over would be good to see it on the road. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Cheers for the love guys  :$

JakeMcC said

Cheers man, whats your insta? Just had a browse through your thread on here.. reminds me of how mine used to look! so similar! ha :D

Rich. said

Your almost there now, when this covid thing is over would be good to see it on the road. :thumbs:

Yeah the guys at Tipton are top blokes, Stephen was happy for me to spend the day with him and we went through all the tune and map together and explained why and how he was doing things as he was doing them… great service!

How far off are you on the R32? Yeah man wont be long at all until she's on the road :D just need this virus thing to daffodil off now. I'll be getting Matt down at Volkscraft to MOT it for me, another top bloke  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I followed this bodywork resto on the Restoshack FB page, absolutely stunning. The worst part is getting the car back together without damaging any of that lovely fresh paint.

Looking forward to the updates and seeing this finished.

Back to the top

Chris Quick said

Cheers for the love guys  :$

JakeMcC said

Cheers man, whats your insta? Just had a browse through your thread on here.. reminds me of how mine used to look! so similar! ha :D

jakemcc97 :)

That's why yours has been such great inspiration, nice to see how mine could turn out with the right amount of work! Looking forward to more updates :D

Back to the top
Love this Golf, miss my white one, looks the nuts and nice level of upgrades, keep up the good work  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Rich. said

Chris Quick said

Yeah the guys at Tipton are top blokes, Stephen was happy for me to spend the day with him and we went through all the tune and map together and explained why and how he was doing things as he was doing them… great service!

How far off are you on the R32? Yeah man wont be long at all until she's on the road :D just need this virus thing to daffodil off now. I'll be getting Matt down at Volkscraft to MOT it for me, another top bloke  :thumbs:

Ah that's great to know about Volkscraft. I don't know anyone in Exeter I can really trust with the car. I would've taken it up to Tivy otherwise to R and M but think that might be a bit risky with the distance to get there with everything new ha ha

I reckon a couple of weeks now and it should be road worthy. Stupidly lent my dad the brake line forming tool before the lock down and could really do with it now :lol:

Back to the top
Top stuff .Small teething prob on the Running but it sounds like you have a solution ..Makes me think(worry) stuck Piston ring due to storage .Hope mine is alright after 7 year in storage .Think i may hand mine over to Tipton .Being Local to me and your reccomendation.Do they offer a wiring up to running service chris?. :thumbs: .
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.