Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf 16v - Full Body Restoration - Insta chrisqgolf

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf Driver - 16V project

Nice work,  like a modded golf.

Back to the top
Great stuff as always chris

Tell me im interested in knowing how much feel/ improvement with the weighted 020 gear shifter there is ?. Did adam or you keep the measurements .It Is looking like a highly detailed mk1 . I wouldnt want to drive it or take it out as it would get dusty.. hehe.:thumbs: 

Back to the top
Hey Gra! In all honestly I have nothing to compare it against, and I haven't fully aligned it yet… 1st and 2nd are still under the reverse gear block. But I have also put a short shift throw arm on it, and also had to crush the gearbox selector down to fit under my brakes… which also acts as a short shift, so there really isnt much throw between gears.. will see how annoying or good that is when I actually get it on the road.
Afraid I didn't save the measurements… But all I did was just take the standard one and made one to those measurements and put a big weight in the middle! Luckily enough it cleared the gearbox casing.  :cool:Ha.. I intend on driving this around Europe once its done, lets hope i don't get too sentimental over it… more so than i already am! ha  :ninja:

Back to the top
European Road trips . Nice .. I didnt want to say it but for a moment ,i thought that the Mk1 was becoming a sunny weather Show Trailer Queen . :lol:. .. no offence.

Regarding the Exhaust heat wrap you used. Im going to fit my Stainless branch soon.  but as you know  it  runs abit close to the Steering Pinnion shaft/boot . Where did you purchase it and are there any decent guides out there or did you just crack on with it?. :thumbs:

Back to the top
I just bought the first one I could find that was black, although looking back now that titanium stuff looks pretty cool!
In terms of how I did it, I just slightly dampened the material, which makes it a lot easier to mould then started applying it to the manifold, very tightly. Not going to lie I did do a few dry runs with it to make sure I knew what I was doing and where it was going and how they would all match and look.
I started with the bottom section and worked my way up to the collector/joiner. Then with the top piece I actually started from the cylinder head side and went down individually with all four pipes, and then with the last one I went round the whole collector and down to the joiner part….. if this makes any sense to you at all?  :D How's your Mk1 coming along? Fitted that clutch cable yet ;)  

Back to the top
Just read your thread, great work - love to see things being done to this level of detail and quality. Just bought an '83 1.3 Driver in the same colour and yours is great inspiration to get cracking on mine :)

Back to the top
Thanks for advice chris fancy doing mine  ?. .. yeah i remember. To be honest ,id have to remove the dash to fit the SA clutch mech kit. as the bulkhead steel on my mk1 has been so badly torn when it pulled through.I'd have to cut out and repair a section and weld new in . I should of had the mk1 running by now but lost my way with it  bud.

How far away is yours ,have you got it running?:thumbs:

Back to the top
Hey chris whats the latest .Hopefully still in your ownership tucked away under a blanket in a dry Garage? :thumbs: .

Back to the top
Hey Gra, I actually gave up posting on here as I didnt think anyone still used forums!? I used to post on SWDubs and then copy it all over onto here, but SWDubs died and in conjunction I just stopped posting.

But whilst I'm here i'll leave you a little teaser and I may do a write up with all the updated pictures if its requested ;) ha

Back to the top

Looking Good….. just so you know… We're interested :ocf_emoticons__detective:

Back to the top
As Convict mentioned there are those of us still interested ..Yeah we Forum users must be Oldskool then..I dont like change .Ive now had to sign up to Insta to find out  the lastest on yours :lol:..I realised when i bough t it recently but you sold me a steering UJ protector on ebay .(yet to fit).Are You still based  where i am  ?

Last edit: by FXTURE

Back to the top
Just found this thread and read through top to bottom, what a build! Love the scheme and the level of detail yuo've put in! Looks great, can't wait to see the next update  ;)

Back to the top
Well, here it is then - a small update of where it was when I last posted to now.

Well as you saw in my last post, I got the engine in with the help of my partner. I really didnt want to scratch anything so I put the engine in and mounted it to the mount and then put the gearbox up and on from under the car and got that mounted. A longer method of putting the engine in but left me more room to move the engine around and place it exactly where I wanted and mounted without a single scratch.

I got it all plumbed in and wired up. Plugged the laptop in to set up the ECU for the first time and to calibrating the TPS.

All seemed good.. so gave it a crank but didnt come to life. All it did was crank and after abit of fault finding and using the classic 'process of elimination' I was able to track the fault back to a dodgy crank position sensor. Which didnt suprise me as I wasnt 100% sure it was actually a VR sensor. So ripped the sensor and bracket off and bought myself a ford VR sensor and took myself back down to Noath to make another bracket for the correct sensor.

Whilst I was at Noath I picked up a front lower strut brace that he had designed for the Mk1 and put that on.

Gave the engine another crank expecting it to fire into life and to jump in glory… but yet the same problem persisted. This time I tracked it back to the ECU, so.. that got ripped out and sent off to get tested. Results came back in, it's a fried circuit board… great. Whats happened apparently is the crank position sensor I initially had killed it, no ones fault but my own. Ordered a new ECU, plugged it in and she fired straight up!
She did sound like she was running on three cylinders when i first started her, but after reasuring myself with a compression test that everything was ok and tuning the carbs (to the best of my knowledge) she started to sound really sweet. That was until the vacum line on the inlet manifold sheared off and left cylinder 4 running far too lean. But hey, the engine ran and that was all the requirement was to get the body back up to Resto Shack for the next stage of body work.

Manifold off, new vacuum outlet welded on

Drove her out to the end of the drive ready to get collected -

]

Genuine wings baby -

All new genuine door and boot lid seals going in to allign panels before final block and paint -

I'm sick of sanding, smoothing and blocking!.. NEVER AGAIN! ….. (untill the next project)

Paint :D-

Over the moon! :DTook a good week of colour sanding and polishing but it came out a dream.

More details - fitted the rear seal and the tape that sits round the rear hatch -

Doors back on, rubbers glued in and new stricker pins -

New door catch pins in -

Roof lining going in -

Dave also got the grill and grill surrounded painted and cleaned

Then it was time to push it outside in the sun and grab some shots…

Back to the top
haha.. Gra you should have just messaged me direct! But yeah, you're correct I am the guy that sells the steering boot protectors on eBay ha :DAnd yeah man, still in Exeter… dont think i'll ever leave now! You still around? Have you heard of these Re:Fuel events that pop up around here?

PS… for people interested, I sell these lovely steering boot protectors for the Mk1 if anyone is interested, wonderfully modelled by my Mk1

Clicky

Back to the top
Lovely MK1 Chris, just bought a UJ boot :lol:Looking forward to seeing your car on the road around Exeter. :thumbs:

Back to the top
LikewiSe . To think chriS was keeping the Mk1 updates elsewhere. ShOckEr.ha

Last edit: by FXTURE

Back to the top
Rich, hope you got the boot protector all ok!? Lets see it fitted!
Did you ever used to go to the SWdubs mega meets at the services/budleigh? I've literally never seen your Mk1 around..!? Be good to see yours out and about too! ha  

Back to the top

Chris Quick said

Rich, hope you got the boot protector all ok!? Lets see it fitted!
Did you ever used to go to the SWdubs mega meets at the services/budleigh? I've literally never seen your Mk1 around..!? Be good to see yours out and about too! ha  

Never got a chance to really do any meets in between doing the G60 conversion and now the R32  :lol:

I was living up in Tiverton for several years and moved back to Exeter so hopefully should see me around when it's back on the road  :thumbs:

Are you going to fit early metal bumpers? Not far off completion now :D

Back to the top
What a lovely build, just ordered a boot cover as well!

I saw that there was a duplicate post in here, I have deleted it and you will be glad to know that we have got to the bottom of our performance issues!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Rich. said

Never got a chance to really do any meets in between doing the G60 conversion and now the R32  :lol:I was living up in Tiverton for several years and moved back to Exeter so hopefully should see me around when it's back on the road  :thumbs:Are you going to fit early metal bumpers? Not far off completion now :D

Aahh, don't suppose you know or ever saw Issacs Mk1 up in Tiverton? Thing of dreams that car…

lhasadreams said

What a lovely build, just ordered a boot cover as well!

I saw that there was a duplicate post in here, I have deleted it and you will be glad to know that we have got to the bottom of our performance issues!

ha, cheers for the kind words :thumbs: Your boot cover was packaged up yesterday and in the post today for you. Only requirement is you need to send pictures of it arrived and fitted :lol:Glad the forum is back up to speed. This website used to reload like 3/4 times before I could actually click on anything or sign in. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.